Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

What are your hopes for the future generations of your family? Share with Cancer Research UK - £200 voucher to be won

(300 Posts)
CeriGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 25-Jan-21 12:23:25

It’s natural to wonder about what the world might look like in the future, particularly for our loved ones. Sometimes this can be a worrying prospect but it’s comforting to know there are things we can do now to help our family members thrive in the future, whether it’s creating a safe home for them, instilling the life lessons we’ve learnt in our grandchildren, or leaving gifts and donations to charity. With this in mind, Cancer Research UK would like to hear your hopes for the future generations of your family.

Here’s what Cancer Research UK has to say: “A Will is one of the most important documents you’ll ever write. It’s the only way to make sure the people and the causes you care about are looked after, and it’s where you can decide what happens to your money and possessions. Once your family and friends are taken care of, a gift to Cancer Research UK – no matter how big or small – really makes a difference for future generations.

Thanks to our amazing supporters, Gifts in Wills fund over a third of our life-saving work, helping us to make treatments even more effective for future generations, bringing forward the day when nobody fears the disease.”

What advice do you give to your grandchildren about how to achieve their hopes and dreams? How do you hope the world will be for future generations and what steps do you take now to help achieve this? Have you thought about writing a Will? Would you consider leaving a gift in your Will to Cancer Research UK to ensure your family grow up in a world where more people survive cancer?

All who post on this thread will be entered into a prize draw taking place on 22/02, where one lucky Gransnetter will win a £200 voucher for a store of their choice (from a list).

Vouchers of winner's choice will be an e-voucher ordered via the Voucher Express platform. Choice will be dependent on availability at the time. Winners will also have an option to select a 'VEX Gift Certificate" which will give them the option to select a physical voucher or gift card from the full Voucher Express range.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!

GNHQ

Insight T&Cs apply

ujhunt1961 Sat 30-Jan-21 11:13:23

Peace, joy and a good life in which they are happy and fulfilled

sheebasima Sat 30-Jan-21 14:25:23

Compassion for others Generosity manners

kathcake Sat 30-Jan-21 14:29:36

Just to make the most of every opportunity

SuzC Sat 30-Jan-21 14:37:35

The best advice I can give to mine as to how to achieve their hopes & dreams is to have confidence & strength, a positive attitude and to always remember the harder you work, the luckier you get!

I do worry for their future as I think it will be hard in the post Covid era - their lives will be defined by it and the economic devastation it will leave behind.

We have made wills. I hope to be able to leave a little something behind to help them get a start on the property ladder, which I think is the soundest help we can gift.

I gift monthly to charity now - have not factored this in to my will.

ceejayen Sat 30-Jan-21 14:45:44

Be kind to everyone and hopefully they will be kind back!

juliedee Sat 30-Jan-21 15:01:24

to be able to pursue their dreams, enjoy their lives and be happy

bestlobber Sat 30-Jan-21 15:16:08

I hope the NHS can recover and return to treating patients with cancer and other serious conditions as promptly as possible as the toll for people waiting or having appointments cancelled is so damaging on not only physical but mental health. Only yesterday a dear friend close to 80 was diagnosed with bladder cancer and may have to wait months for his surgery while meanwhile bleeding on passing water and in some pain although on antibiotics.
It was mentioned that he may be eligible for surgery at a private hospital via the NHS and perhaps this could be a way of reducing the burden more so than at present.

fevertree Sat 30-Jan-21 15:32:21

I hope my grandchildren will be resourceful and resilient, kind and have an attitude of gratitude. I hope that they will value their Planet Earth home.

I have a will. I support various charities, including Cancer Research UK, when I can, in various ways including monetary donations.

Lorraine1602 Sat 30-Jan-21 17:11:45

I would wish for them to be happy and settled in life with someone they love and, hopefully children of their own, with a close family life.
I am not considering something to be left in a will to a charity (will already made), but I believe a collection at a funeral with money sent to a charity which seems appropriate at the time is a good idea.

Carado Sat 30-Jan-21 17:33:18

I am the last of my line, with only an older brother who also has no children. What little I leave will go to charities, particularly those for animals (which are not a government responsibility - as I think health reseach should be).
If I have any advice for the younger generations it would be not to take our planet, its water, air, earth and wildlife, for granted and do all they can to restore and protect them. If not, they have no future.

sthgil Sat 30-Jan-21 17:45:33

I wish them contentment and to be able to take pleasure in the world around them

fourormore Sat 30-Jan-21 19:37:47

Do unto others as you would have others do unto you and count your blessings daily.

lesley5127 Sun 31-Jan-21 10:26:22

Reduce, reuse, recycle. Be kind to each other and the planet.
PS. Don't forget to brush your teeth

Venus Sun 31-Jan-21 10:29:09

I would want my grandchildren to consider the environment. Be kind to animals, give to charity and always be considerate of others.

SusieWilkinson Sun 31-Jan-21 12:07:54

Your happiness is paramount, you don't need lots of money, you don't need lots of belongings, just be comfortable in your own skin and know who you are

GeminiJen Sun 31-Jan-21 14:12:51

What advice do you give to your grandchildren about how to achieve their hopes and dreams?
To your own self be true
Be kind.
You have a voice. Use it well.
How do you hope the world will be for future generations and what steps do you take now to help achieve this?
An end to conflict.
An increase in mindfulness.
Respect for our planet and for each other.
I try in my own small way to practise what I believe in, to live mindfully and support others less fortunate than myself.
Have you thought about writing a Will? Would you consider leaving a gift in your Will to Cancer Research UK to ensure your family grow up in a world where more people survive cancer?
I have a Will already and it reflects my wishes and beliefs.

Lixie7 Sun 31-Jan-21 16:06:07

I always say Be true to yourself, do your best to live as healthily and happily as you can.
Study and work hard to estabilish a prosperous, enjoyable future.
Be kind, share and care for others, including Mother Nature. - as she looks after us
Take nothing for granted - especially in current times and most importantly Live For Today.

Aadamzahra2 Sun 31-Jan-21 18:32:04

To ALWAYS be kind-No matter how mean somebody is to you -never stoop to their level by taking revenge or hurting back. It will only hurt you. Forgive them in order to give yourself peace.

Life will throw challenging situations at you- you will not always like the end result but you are a winner if you try to tackle the situation as best as you can!!

Even if you don't beleive in karma the universe is designed in a way where you reap what you sow.

rebekahdonnelly Sun 31-Jan-21 22:03:08

You can be anything in this world but above everything, be kind.

Char123 Sun 31-Jan-21 23:14:36

make a milestone list and make every minute count

futuregran1 Mon 01-Feb-21 00:20:43

I hope that my granddaughters will always be happy, kind and do well in whatever they choose to do. Their parents are bringing them up to be good, happy girls and I'm sure that with their guidance they will grow up to be strong young women we will all be very proud of.

Lollin Mon 01-Feb-21 01:07:50

a little kindness goes a long way.. Accidents happen.
I wish for peace in so many areas of our world, so these days stay away from the internet unless it's to be nice not showy or gossipy.

lesleybs Mon 01-Feb-21 09:04:00

To have a good happy life.

MamaCaz Mon 01-Feb-21 09:18:12

I advise them to think big and work hard to achieve their dreams, but to be kind to others along the way.

I hope (dream!) that the world they live in as adults will become a fairer place, without the stark differences in access to health, wealth and opportunities that currently exist, and that the terrifying consequences of climate change will be under control.

Right now, my small efforts to help achieve this are limited to things like using the car as little as possible, and recycling whatever I can. Hopefully, this will set a good example for my DGC, but realistically, I dont feel I can do much more. Fortunately they are already very clued up on environmental issues anyway, in no small way thanks to school.
The same goes for living a healthy lifestyle - they already know exactly what it entails, so I just try to set a good example to help reinforce that message.

Leaving money in a will to Cancer Research UK is a great thing to do.I think most of us will have lost a loved one to cancer by the time they are our age, and that makes us appreciate all the more the importance of what they do.
Apart from wills, donations instead of flowers at funerals are a great way of helping them - especially for those of us who will have very little to leave in our wills anyway!

chris8888 Mon 01-Feb-21 09:39:20

Learn to say No
Try and save for a rainy day
Love and be loved

I look at my grandchildren and think I hope the world is kind to you and you arent hurt by some bully somewhere. I guess we all do, then you worry about bigger things like climate change and illness. With this covid ruling the world at the moment I think just take one day at a time and do your best to be happy.