Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Share your tips for managing joint pain throughout the winter months - £200 voucher to be won

(253 Posts)
GraceGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 29-Jan-21 11:49:46

This activity is now closed

Whether you walk every day, you’re a keen cyclist, or passionate about running, we all know how important it is to get outside in the open air, especially during lockdown. But if you suffer from joint pain it can be hard to motivate yourself to stay active. With this in mind, ]] would like to hear your tips for managing joint pain, particularly during winter.

Here’s what ]] has to say:

"GOPO® Joint Health is committed to helping the Nation feel limber at any age, and encourages a healthy and active lifestyle all year round. GOPO® Joint Health is a health food supplement range that contains 100% specially cultivated natural rosehip with a high level of the galactolipid compound known as GOPO®. It is rich in Vitamin C which contributes to the formation of collagen for the normal function of cartilage, the protective and connective component of joints. The newest addition to the range is GOPO® Joint Health Plus Ginger, which is the first UK supplement that combines active GOPO®-containing rosehip - which may play a valuable role in the care of joints and joint tissues - with extracts of the plant-based nutraceutical, Ginger, loaded with nutrients and bioactive compounds that may help support good joint health and muscle function. Seize the day with GOPO® Joint Health, and don’t let the cold weather hold you back from embracing the freedom of movement."

Are you prone to experiencing painful joints in the colder months? Perhaps you have a go-to exercise routine that helps you with your aches and pains? Do you swear by a particular vitamin or supplement? Or maybe you have a secret remedy that keeps you out and about?

Whatever they may be, we’d love to hear your secrets to managing a winter joint pain flare up.

All who post on this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one lucky GNer will win a £200 voucher for a store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!

T&Cs apply GNHQ

Cazzy28 Thu 18-Feb-21 18:19:10

When I am really suffering I have to make sure I move around every hour even for a few minutes at a time. It really helps

sscrase Thu 18-Feb-21 18:51:47

Long walks, 4 or 5 miles first thing in the morning keep me in good shape. No chance I could run with my dodgy knees and shins.

SheenaBatey123 Thu 18-Feb-21 19:01:29

I advocate keeping moving every day. A little stretching on waking, a walk during the day and a little light exercise at night

hazy1221 Thu 18-Feb-21 20:44:14

I try to keep active by walking and doing yoga and I find a hot bath with radox helps.

Appy Thu 18-Feb-21 21:19:35

Nettle seeds... they are brilliant!

freefan Thu 18-Feb-21 23:07:34

I was diagnosed with a Vit D + B12 deficiency, so after a lot of research I now take a whole host of vitamins and supplements throughout the day, these along with my painkillers, heat pads and splints have made a bit of a difference to the pain levels compared to last year, I'm hoping once my levels start to rise I will see more improvements.

maggie1234 Fri 19-Feb-21 08:02:37

I take fish oil , and turmeric with black pepper. There comes a time though when only surgery will solve the problem of worn out joints

DolphinTreeFrog Fri 19-Feb-21 10:03:23

keep exercising the joint.

Isis1981uk Fri 19-Feb-21 10:54:51

A warm heat pad really helps, as does an occasional massage from a willing partner!

Minnibix Fri 19-Feb-21 11:28:13

I do the leg exercises given to me by the hospital when I had my hip replacement, but recently I have reduced sugar and carbs (root veg, bread, cereal etc) in my diet and find when I wake in the morning my hands and legs are not aching - which is a big plus

Beebee24 Fri 19-Feb-21 12:44:57

I have sciatica due to facet joint arthritis and spine instability. I wanted to try turmeric but found out it's not suitable for people with gallstones which I also have (but which have given me no trouble so far). If anyone who has gallstones has any experience with turmeric I'd be glad to know whether it caused any problems.

GrandmaAngie Fri 19-Feb-21 14:04:57

Rest a little, move a little, listen to your body and do what feels right for you.
No pain-no gain? Rubbish!

otherwiseknownasGrandma Fri 19-Feb-21 14:21:27

As a fibromyalgia sufferer I think I've tried all the suggestions above! My Infrared lamp is probably the most effective along with epsom salt baths and anti-inflammatory cream.

ammaline Fri 19-Feb-21 17:25:28

I haven't noticed any link between the weather and joint pain flare-ups, but I find yoga and walking helps keep the pain at bay. When it is bad I try and keep off the painkillers and instead use a heatpack and TENS machine instead.

Katyl Fri 19-Feb-21 17:37:53

Magnesium supplements and Epsom salt baths help a lot.

kizzyw Sat 20-Feb-21 10:44:35

I try to keep moving, gentle exercise but also listen to my body and rest when i need to. I alternate between heat and ice packs and try to keep hydrated. When the pain gets too much i have a TENS machine to use

SJPKGP Sun 21-Feb-21 08:13:28

My tips would be not sitting still for long periods. I always have plenty to do so around the house so tend to tackle things in short bursts rather than in one block. I also walk and do stretching exercises. I don't take supplements but only because I have not really noticed much improvement when I do and I am not convinced that they work for people with mild issues - but obviously lots of people find they help.

becky004 Sun 21-Feb-21 12:12:42

Regular gentle exercise, yoga and heat pads if the pain is particularly severe.

Wendyp Mon 22-Feb-21 12:31:48

I swear by my daily cod liver oil supplements to keep my joints supple and pain free!

emmaandbunni Mon 22-Feb-21 16:33:50

Regular brief exercise, either indoors or outside. If outside keep your joints warm.

fionajk42 Mon 22-Feb-21 19:40:25

My knees play up when the weather is cold. I find that using a heated blanket on my legs when I'm sitting for any length of time is helpful.

bobble5366 Tue 23-Feb-21 13:16:20

Turmeric supplements, gentle exercise each morning, a walk per day, and following the green goddess on my DVD player.

Seakay Tue 23-Feb-21 17:35:54

Most of my joint pain is down to fibromyalgia, so not seasonal.
I was managing a little gentle exercise every day until last march (2020) when both feet, ankles and lower legs swelled up and became so painful that I can barely move. I'm still being tested to try and find out the cause.

SusannaCallaghan Fri 26-Feb-21 20:23:21

I've found Pilates helpful for keeping flexible and it's best to stay active with daily walks. I use Ibuprofen gel when pain is bad, but otherwise managing through diet and exercise.

JulieAAA Sat 27-Feb-21 20:36:08

I take plenty of vitamins, make sure to do gentle exercise, and rest my knee or elbow when it starts to hurt.