Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Share your tips for managing joint pain throughout the winter months - £200 voucher to be won

(253 Posts)
GraceGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 29-Jan-21 11:49:46

This activity is now closed

Whether you walk every day, you’re a keen cyclist, or passionate about running, we all know how important it is to get outside in the open air, especially during lockdown. But if you suffer from joint pain it can be hard to motivate yourself to stay active. With this in mind, ]] would like to hear your tips for managing joint pain, particularly during winter.

Here’s what ]] has to say:

"GOPO® Joint Health is committed to helping the Nation feel limber at any age, and encourages a healthy and active lifestyle all year round. GOPO® Joint Health is a health food supplement range that contains 100% specially cultivated natural rosehip with a high level of the galactolipid compound known as GOPO®. It is rich in Vitamin C which contributes to the formation of collagen for the normal function of cartilage, the protective and connective component of joints. The newest addition to the range is GOPO® Joint Health Plus Ginger, which is the first UK supplement that combines active GOPO®-containing rosehip - which may play a valuable role in the care of joints and joint tissues - with extracts of the plant-based nutraceutical, Ginger, loaded with nutrients and bioactive compounds that may help support good joint health and muscle function. Seize the day with GOPO® Joint Health, and don’t let the cold weather hold you back from embracing the freedom of movement."

Are you prone to experiencing painful joints in the colder months? Perhaps you have a go-to exercise routine that helps you with your aches and pains? Do you swear by a particular vitamin or supplement? Or maybe you have a secret remedy that keeps you out and about?

Whatever they may be, we’d love to hear your secrets to managing a winter joint pain flare up.

All who post on this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one lucky GNer will win a £200 voucher for a store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!

T&Cs apply GNHQ

burwellmum Fri 12-Feb-21 15:44:44

I've found taking up yoga helps.

lynmoo Fri 12-Feb-21 18:27:54

Always get up and have a Radox bath...then a good rub to my joints with moisturiser, always makes me feel good

Harris27 Fri 12-Feb-21 18:33:28

I take calcium and magnesium tablets and also started taking turmeric with black pepper and can see a difference.I also take a warm bath every evening after work.

IamaWallis2 Fri 12-Feb-21 20:00:45

I've have various things to help. Every morning, gentle stretches of back, arms, legs, neck then hand/fingers exercises. Prevent getting cold by wearing silk socks (underneath woolly ones), thermal vest & leggings under clothes. Nice warm baths. Place a microwave heat bag across shoulders or knees and use an electric footwarmer while watching tv or reading and get up and move every 45 mins for 15 mins. Watch comedies to keep your spirits up.
Cooking - use turmeric, ginger in rice, chicken dishes, make curries. If you can afford, get a massage, doesn't need to be deep massage or painful to help.

joysutty Fri 12-Feb-21 22:46:10

Seen the turmeric powder but don't want the mess of a powder. Being orange colour going over the place. Bought turmeric teabags but cant say noticed any difference to my oesteo-arthritus. So take a daily cod liver oil capsule with omega 3 in. But read last week the omega 3 can conflict with either my diabetic tablets or the high blood pressure tablets I take - can't remember which !! Read the information above and the Ginger is an interesting theory in the GOPO. Also Rosehip as only heard of rosehip in beauty products. Damp weather makes pain worse.
O

Elrel Fri 12-Feb-21 23:01:57

I Zoom in a small group of over 50s and try to incorporate the exercises into everyday life. I do squats while waiting for the microwave to ping, walk on the spot while on the phone and use my stretch band while watching tv.

bikergran Sat 13-Feb-21 10:30:05

New to turmeric. But going to give it a try.
Is there different strengths etc? Quality? Think it will prob be tablets for me, hopefully it may help my torticollis neck ? Interesting reading everyone's comments.
I take 1000 vit D and extra strength vit B12.

Marmight Sat 13-Feb-21 10:47:15

Turmeric & CBD caps every day. If I miss a day I certainly notice the difference. Keep moving. If I’m just sitting, I move at least every 20 minutes and go and do something else - take advantage of the ad break on TV, I always take the stairs rather than the lift (unless I’m aiming for the 12th floor ?) keep ‘bending ze knees’ as per ski instruction, even when at the sink or cooker. Lots of stretches and finger wiggling. Living alone has its advantages (not many I admit) as you just have to get on with things and ‘things’ involves movement. Use it or lose it.

Mags17 Sat 13-Feb-21 17:02:16

I take glucosamine and turmeric. Also do stretches and go for a walk everyday.

busybee6969 Sun 14-Feb-21 20:42:10

keep active i am far worse if i seat for long.take regular pain relieve and try and stay at a healthy weight

Kari4 Mon 15-Feb-21 01:46:49

Don’t use TURMERIC if you are taking anticoagulants (blood thinners), it can magnify their use and cause bleeding!

muse Tue 16-Feb-21 19:40:17

I've done pilates and some yoga for past 20 years. Does stop arthritis but it helped when I had a hip replacement.
I do Fabulous Fifties exercises during lockdown.
Bad arthritis in thumb joints and use tiger balm on them and weather thermal fingerless gloves when outside.
Ice and heat packs when aches get bad.

DocM Tue 16-Feb-21 22:41:20

Have suffered for years from morning stiffness which is worse in winter and lasts longer. So every morning starts with a hot bath. Then, as I don't want to pop pills every day unless it is particularly bad, I use Tiger Balm on source areas, and a hot water bottle behind my back when at my desk

toscalily Wed 17-Feb-21 10:17:54

I'm not sure managing is the right word, maybe coping is better. My arthritis has become much worse in so many joints due to the increased inactivity imposed by the lockdown restrictions. I did Yoga & Pilates two or three times a week with an additional swim sometimes and know that it helped me a lot, have tried to keep up with this a bit with online classes but just cannot drum up the enthusiasm very often without the company of class mates. Take magnesium, vitamin D and Ibuprofen when it all gets too much.

falconer Thu 18-Feb-21 12:59:19

Plenty of NHS-recommended exercises and walking (even with Coronavirus), and heat applied to painful areas (hot water bottles or microwaveable "bean bags")

compfan Thu 18-Feb-21 13:00:14

keeping moving and using a small hot water bottle on the painful bits when at home :-)

happysouls Thu 18-Feb-21 13:23:34

I took up running in my late 40s and then ended up referred for physio because of hip pain. The running was life changing but the physio was too. He got me doing one legged planking amongst other things and building up core strength. So ever since then I have kept up with all those exercises as well as weight training and now some HIIT for while it's been too icy to run. Lots of good stretching too. Body strength and regular exercise is my way of keeping all joints and pain in order as long as possible!

ddraig123 Thu 18-Feb-21 13:37:00

Try losing some weight, as weight loss helps reduce pressure on joints and so eases the pain. My knees hurt, so I've given up chocolate and sweets for nearly 3 months so far. I just need to stop eating lots of packets of Smoky Bacon Crisps now too!

Angelwings Thu 18-Feb-21 13:57:16

Are you prone to experiencing painful joints in the colder months?
Yes, fingers particularly

Perhaps you have a go-to exercise routine that helps you with your aches and pains?
No, I just keep active

Do you swear by a particular vitamin or supplement?
No, I take a multivitamin

Or maybe you have a secret remedy that keeps you out and about?
No, just heat

Whatever they may be, we’d love to hear your secrets to managing a winter joint pain flare up.
Use basic analgesics, gels, warmth and keep as active as you can

williamsgwynfa Thu 18-Feb-21 14:17:18

My joints seem to ache more in the cold weather, so I find a hot water bottle helps. I also like to walk, so this does help loosen them up a bit.

Liste Thu 18-Feb-21 14:21:17

Arthritis of the big toe and a keen runner. I find keeping my feet warm in the winter and strapping the joint when I run are a great help. Also tried a bit of acupuncture.

AR2127 Thu 18-Feb-21 14:38:38

Hearty soups with lots of turmeric keep me warm and help with my joints.

scrapgran Thu 18-Feb-21 14:53:20

Just over 2 years ago I was diagnosed with arthritis in my knee. I could hardly walk but my GP gave me a steroid injection which was like a miracle. I do daily exercises which are not painful and although I have discomfort getting comfortable in bed I don't have any pain which is amazing

maryandbuzz1 Thu 18-Feb-21 17:36:26

I manage to keep active, walking everyday and have found that yoga really helps with the back pain I suffer with. it is both relaxing and helps with strength.

nabob Thu 18-Feb-21 18:04:37

I find that a hot bath with Epsom salts is marvellous at soothing my creaks!