Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

How do you talk to your family about money? Share with GuardianCard - £200 voucher to be won

(198 Posts)
LucyBGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 08-Feb-21 11:26:01

This sponsored discussion is now closed. Thank you to everyone who posted below.

Whether you’re discussing who has responsibility over your finances or who pays the bills each month, money can be a difficult subject to broach, even with your closest family. Talking about money can make us feel awkward or uncomfortable but these conversations are important and could make your family’s life easier. With this in mind, GuardianCard would like to hear your experiences of talking to your family about money.

Here’s what GuardianCard has to say: “GuardianCard is a revolutionary new account and debit card designed to give you, or your family, a safe, simple and secure solution to managing day to day finances. Your GuardianCard has all the functionality of a Debit card but has the added benefit of allowing the account holder to issue up to five cards to trusted family members or friends so that they can shop or pay bills on your behalf, and you have complete visibility of spend by card and person. You can set a spending limit on those cards and restrict the cards to certain types of retail outlet.

GuardianCard gives you real-time transaction reports so you always know exactly what is being spent, by who, and where. Download the GuardianCard app today!”

When did you decide to talk to your family about money and how did you get the conversation started? Did you find it an uncomfortable or difficult conversation to have? Have you spoken to your parents about your role in organising their money? Or have you had a discussion with your children about their involvement in your finances? Have you had to give some control of your finances to another person during the pandemic, for example to someone who does your weekly shop?

Whether it’s a conversation you’ve had time and time again or you’re yet to broach the subject, we want to hear from you. All who post on this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one lucky GNer will win a £200 voucher for a store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!

GNHQ

Insight T&Cs apply

inishowen Fri 12-Feb-21 10:36:31

I grew up in a family where money was not discussed. My husband is the opposite and has told our adult children how much they will inherit from us. No secrets, which is a good thing.

gulliver12 Fri 12-Feb-21 10:41:28

Husband says I'm mean. I say I'm frugal. Only son has inherited this trait. Trying to pass on as much as we can afford and then live 7 years. Wonderful to be on the same wavelength.

Dearknees1 Fri 12-Feb-21 10:43:48

My husband doesn't have much interest in our finances as long as there's money available when he needs it. Nor do I really but one of us has to do the banking, keep an eye on savings etc. I try to make sure he understands how to access our money and think about investment but it's hard work!

HHBBNN54 Fri 12-Feb-21 10:51:01

When I was a child I was given my pocket money for the month and if I spent it I had to do without. After I started spending it all in one go my father made me write down everything I had spent it on (which in those days was mars bars as I was addicted to them). Now I am retired and in charge of my own money and have to make the books balance as they say,

Loobs Fri 12-Feb-21 10:59:07

Both of my adult daughters are the ones in their relationships taking charge of the money, as indeed I do in my marriage. I didn't consciously 'teach' them, they're just bright!! They happily discuss their finances with me and I with them, it's important they know where the money is in case I suddenly run off with the gardener or something.

SillyNanny321 Fri 12-Feb-21 11:11:59

Had to discuss finances with my son after my marriage broke up. He has been very sensible from an early age, saving for things he wanted from doing a paper round etc! His wife is from the same mould so I have discussed what happens when the time comes with them. He has a copy of my will. I do not have much to leave but anything I do have is his being my only child! He knows where to find anything he will need, like passwords etc, as living alone I have made sure most things are in order & easy for them!

Tillymint21 Fri 12-Feb-21 11:14:01

I have POA for a great aunt and my elderly parents. It has made me realise just how important it is to have open discussions about money and to ensure others’ views on money are clear. I think the way a family handles money issues and discusses it with their children from the start can have lifelong benefits. The choices we all make about our money are personal but just having discussion with children (in an age-appropriate way) about how or why we make the choices we do can only be beneficial to them longer term.

PenE Fri 12-Feb-21 11:16:17

Money is a difficult subject to talk about and now for some the lack of money coming in to the home due to covid has hit hard even for those who had managed to save enough to cover expenses if they lost their job.Our children know that they can turn to us for help in any way we can -with any problem.I have always hated dicussing money with strangers it feels too personal.Making a mistake! not having enough!an unexpected expense! you feel foolish and embarrassed.Anyone can find themselves in difficulties and its good to know that there is practical help available.Being told how you should budget isnt always helpful when you have been budgeting to the last penny and laying awake at night trying to find the rest!

dramaqueen1966 Fri 12-Feb-21 11:23:40

I trained my children in all aspects of money management including budgeting from an early age. I taught them about how mortgages work and about credit and credit cards. I have encouraged them to continue to ask for advice if there's anything they don't understand as the impact of agreeing to something without being clear has implications. I've always encouraged them to book holidays on credit card for added protection and encouraged them to save for their futures including pensions. I've left the door open to discuss anything that they don't know and it would surprise you to know, they actually don't know. I would say that anything you take for granted knowing as an adult with a lifetime experience of having made financial mistakes is your duty to pass on to the ones you love.

MichD Fri 12-Feb-21 11:41:57

I do find it hard to talk about money but I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because there is never enough of it so it becomes a sensitive subject! My husband and I used to have joint bank accounts but we now have separate ones. He works full time so pays the bills out of his wages. I tend to pay for all the presents, cards etc for family and friends out of mine plus I pay my credit card bills, car and pet insurance. Neither of us are good with money, we fritter it away but our son is the opposite, he's very good at saving and not impulse buying. He should be giving us advice rather than the other way round.

HeatherW Fri 12-Feb-21 11:57:30

Our grown up children generally don’t like talking about money. Most of them have been in quite a lot of debt. Whereas one will expect us to bail him out, another one will sort himself out.We have made a will and the large amounts of money already borrowed will be deducted from their final inheritance

Flossieflyby Fri 12-Feb-21 12:17:06

Keep updating info in online folders for the kids so they know about our changing finances.

Scottieboi Fri 12-Feb-21 12:23:02

Always advise to start saving early and stick with it as this was the advice my parents gave me, and it did pay off, so well worth it in the end, and is one less thing to worry about then! Happy saving and stay safe all ;o)

nanarossi Fri 12-Feb-21 12:35:21

We have been honest about our wills and where to find them. Our children are all in their 30s and we only give advice when asked now. However, it's nice how often we are asked.

Echame Fri 12-Feb-21 12:50:28

It's certainly nearly always a very difficult subject to broach and one which usually requires a measure of sensitivity; however from my perspective I have tried to make my only DS aware of my wishes for my small legacy after I've passed.

dirgni Fri 12-Feb-21 13:40:27

We’ve never had any secrets as far as money is concerned. My husband and I had a joint account from the day that we were married and always discussed any major outlays etc. We brought up our boys the same way where everything was discussed openly. One son now works in investment banking and the other has a reasonable income. We still remain open with them and they with us,they have joint power of attorney.

Authoress Fri 12-Feb-21 13:49:13

I don't think it's ever an easy conversation. Much easier since my children started earning more than I do smile

blubber Fri 12-Feb-21 14:10:38

I advised my children when they were young with questions like "Do you really want to buy that and have no money left for the rest of the week or would you rather wait a couple of days to see if you still want it?" Now they are adults and my daughter saves and my son spend all he gets!!!

dragonfly63 Fri 12-Feb-21 14:17:59

We have never had a problem discussing anything with our children who are now in their thirties. They both own their own homes, have rental properties and great careers. They have asked for advice since they were young and it seems that we have done a reasonable job.

NotSpaghetti Fri 12-Feb-21 14:22:18

Money is a conversation we have reasonably often with different family members, older and younger.

It's always useful to hear about others successes and failures and to hear and suggest possible courses of action.

theprovinciallady Fri 12-Feb-21 14:51:07

My parents were rather secretive toward one another, a symptom of this was that my father's spending on his mistresses and hobbies came at the expense of the rest of the family. As I had my own children and reassessed memories in hindsight I resented their miscommunication all the more. In particular there were many interests that none of us children followed up because there was no money allocated for the necessary materials, equipment, classes and so on. I did overcompensate quite a bit when my children were small in that I talked to them about budgeting and they were included in discussions about spending from a very early age. Interestingly they are both very keen on savings and investments as adults and often comment that savings give one a tougher attitude towards employers and allow you to be more choosy generally.

maura53 Fri 12-Feb-21 15:46:04

When I and my friends had children the first thing I did was buy everyone a money box. Always put some money to start them off. As my children got older, they were given money for jobs around the house. They also knew about the bills that had to be paid. Now they are all grown up and no debt and manage their money very well.

burwellmum Fri 12-Feb-21 15:50:42

I make the big financial decisions in our house. My adult children look to me for information or advice occasionally.
Sadly I should have had more discussions with my parents - I persuaded them to put health and welfare LPA's in place a couple of years ago but their money ones are 10 years old and name each other which is a problem now my father has had a stroke and my mother has dementia.

Rowsie Fri 12-Feb-21 16:13:53

This is such a difficult thing to do. I thought I should talk to my son about my will and I told him he would get 50% of my estate and his 3 sons would get the other 50% split between them. I thought this was a good idea but he seemed very put out that I wasn't just leaving it all to him! My sister has left everything to her son and I think he thinks I should do the same. I think that as my grandsons are no longer children (all over 16) it would be nice for them to get money direct rather than him giving them some as he sees fit. We have never discussed Power of Attorney but I feel I might be the one getting touchy when that subject raises it's head. (I like to think I will always be able to manage my own money!)

Lorelei Fri 12-Feb-21 17:02:55

Because I have several serious health problems I felt it was important to discuss lots of things, and some of these conversations involved money matters. I have got a will (that admittedly does require updating) + I have a Living Will so that my better half can make medical decisions for me if I become unable to make them for myself - this includes the right to refuse resuscitation, medication etc - I know he would do what was in my best interest and we've discussed a lot of potential possibilities so my wishes are known. Regarding money I do not really have much but the GuardianCard is something I might consider if it makes it easier for him to access any money I do have. My will makes it clear everything goes to him and I have put documents together with all the details of any assets, of my usernames and passwords for any financial-related websites e.g. National Lottery (as I do our regular lines) + gambling sites (in case I ever win) + my few small denomination Premium Bonds are already in an envelope in his safe + he knows where my purse and cheque book are +listed anything that might be worth a few quid. If I were to have real resources I would take steps to protect them for him legally or open joint accounts so he had easy access. Whatever your circumstances I feel some of these types of conversations should take place as you never know the type of curveballs life might launch in your direction.