Gransnet forums

Sport

Royal Ascot

(45 Posts)
crimson Mon 18-Jun-12 21:31:43

Anyone watching it tomorrow? Apart from the fashion, the highest rated racehorse in the world, Frankel is running in the 2.30. Unbeaten thus far in three seasons. And another unbeaten horse from Australia is running on Saturday; most of Australia will be watching her..she's a national treasure, big and black and the fastest thing you'll ever see. Black Caviar. Can't wait!

merlotgran Mon 18-Jun-12 21:48:46

We'll probably be having a break from gardening around that time, crimson so will have a look. We like to dip in and out of the Ascot coverage.

merlotgran Tue 19-Jun-12 18:44:09

Fantastic race. What a horse!

crimson Tue 19-Jun-12 19:36:54

Never took to Frankel the way I did to Sea the Stars [I was a wreck every time he ran]. But today I cried when he won.

johanna Tue 19-Jun-12 19:40:09

Hello again crimson
I remember you from the Grand National Thread. It was/is you , is it not?

I saw Frankel's face on the Web. What a face.
Also looked up Black Caviar, another face that sort of makes me feel that we know very little ..., but they ( the horses) do.
Although I am absolutely terrified myself of horses, bit of a handicap when you own the odd leg, I also love horses to death. Just dare not go near any of them.
Shame.
Hope you have a lovely Ascot week.

Oldgreymare Tue 19-Jun-12 22:30:50

Hello Crimson, I should have been doing other things ( a list as long as my arm) but caved in and watched the first race (hooked then so watched all of them!) What a horse, he made it look so easy!
Looking forward to the day I actually get to go (one can dream!) I shall have to get the OG to record Saturday's racing as I am off for a 'Girlie weekend'.
Black Caviar is unusually tall, isn't she?
Enjoy your racing.

crimson Tue 19-Jun-12 22:49:59

A friend phoned to say that, when Frankel runs in the Juddmonte at York we can stay at their house which overlooks the racecourse but we're on holiday that week. We used to go on Ebor day, but it's not the same since they've moved it to a Saturday. I love York.

Oldgreymare Wed 20-Jun-12 09:32:37

Lucky you! When is that? We have to go child/guineapig minding in Yorks this summer!
I have York on my list of Races to visit!

crimson Wed 20-Jun-12 09:53:57

The Juddmonte is on the 22nd. Because the stables are the other side of the Knavesmire from the course the horses have to walk across from them. So, although I usually like to be 'paddockside' or pre parade ring. a cheap ticket for the inside of the course gives you a pretty good view of most things. Alas, too far to travel down from Northumberland that day. [I love guinea pigs! The sweetest little creatures I've ever come across, and adorable when they're first born].

crimson Wed 20-Jun-12 13:49:25

Queen might have a winner today; not sure what time the race is though.

Oldgreymare Thu 21-Jun-12 09:54:19

Thanks for the info!
Had to pick gooseberries (24 lbs!) so only saw first race. Tried to watch on catch-up later but it wasn't there!
Will try to catch a few races today (making gooseberry jelly!)

Nonu Thu 21-Jun-12 13:26:01

I shall be watching the rest of the coverage from today onwards , might get a winner you never know !! Incidentally , not really that interested in Ladies Day , some of them seem a bit OTT

merlotgran Thu 21-Jun-12 18:13:13

I thought Eve Pollard looked a bit long in the tooth!

Nice to see Frankie Dettori doing his flying leap again. He needed that win especially as Willie Carson (losing the plot a bit?) compared him to a footballer that keeps getting 'supplemented' confused

Nonu Thu 21-Jun-12 19:53:42

Is it me or do others wonder why Carole middleton gets invited to Ascot .

merlotgran Thu 21-Jun-12 19:57:39

I did wonder, Nonu but at least the Middletons aren't being sidelined like previous in-laws and if your son-in-law is a future king?

Nonu Thu 21-Jun-12 20:03:25

Still don"t get it , is it jumping on the bandwaggon ??? still why not I suppose

Oldgreymare Thu 21-Jun-12 20:23:08

They own a horse! It ran at Ascot recently, don't know how it got on!
Now why did they buy a horse?????

crimson Thu 21-Jun-12 21:10:03

Did anyone see So You Think yesterday? I'd read that the trainer says his mane and tail grow faster than any other horses he's known, and they hadn't trimmed it recently..he looked absolutely beautiful. Jet black with a Black Beauty star on his forehead. Didn't think todays racing was as good as the previous two days, but might treat myself to looking at one of the handicaps tomorrow. Don't have time to do that much these days. I missed a Frankie Dettori flying dismount at York the other year. My friend who never goes racing realised he was going to do one and rushed over to see it. Not sure which horse the Middletons own. I hang on Willie Carsons every word when he talks about the horses in the paddock; he's a very canny man.

Anne58 Thu 21-Jun-12 21:23:30

Miffed that I didn't look at the paper yesterday, Excellent Guest second at 33/1! Have always liked that horse, might have had an each way if I'd been a bit more alert. (Not been paying proper attention to the racing recently, mainly a jumps fan, but not totally dismissive of the flat)

merlotgran Thu 21-Jun-12 21:35:03

I watched the Middletons' horse run at Epsom but I can't remember what it's called. I thought So You Think's mane looked beautiful but different as they are normally pulled short and fine. Love the chemistry between Clare Balding and Willie Carson. He's very knowlegeable but he does come out with some bizarre statements and Clare gently puts him right.

crimson Thu 21-Jun-12 21:37:25

Yes, I had one of those days today. German winner [I always keep an eye on foreign invaders because they often get overlooked]. Dermot Weld never sends horses on fruitless missions, and I've backed Colour Vision before when he was with Mark Johnston. I do like long distance flat handicaps because the horses come back year after year and I get very attached to them. Frankels little brother is running tomorrow, Noble Mission. Can't wait for Saturday, though smile.

Anne58 Thu 21-Jun-12 21:52:50

Black Caviar, Crimson ?

crimson Thu 21-Jun-12 22:43:36

I would give anything to see her. A good racemare is so special and we've been spoilt over the past few years; Oiuja Board, Goldikova, Zenyatta and now Black Caviar. I will be a complete wreck on the run up to the race and will scream her home. I don't think any other sport has those magic moments, and the beauty of flat racing is watching the generations; I can still remember Urban Sea running in the Arc and then seeing her sons winning Derbys and Arcs themselves is so special. For some reason I looked up Kauto Stars race record tonight [there was more talk of him retiring] and it was just win after win and all grade 1's. I can hardly believe that it is all coming to an end; only seems like yesterday that I was complaining about the bookies taking bets on whether or not he'd fall in the Gold Cup [when no one thought he could jump!].

Nonu Fri 22-Jun-12 19:45:23

Goody goody I got two winners today , which chuffed me no end . I backed queenys horse in the 5 oclock and felt it might have a chance as her previous runner this week lost ., also Michael Stoute has not done well so far so he has to come in a bit . She looked good and it was great to see her in the winners enclosure , also to see her receive cup from "Phil" Lovely Dear !!!! smile

merlotgran Fri 22-Jun-12 19:54:46

Nice one, Nonu. I missed most of Ascot today but got home just in time to see the Queen's horse win and yes, it was a lovely moment with the D of E.
Clare Balding's hat looked like one of those things people used to put over their spare loo rolls in the eighties.