Gransnet forums

Sport

The Grand National

(8 Posts)
broomsticks Mon 08-Apr-13 11:34:51

I suppose though if there was no horse racing there would be no race horses, just like if there was no dairy industry there would be very few cows around.

Eloethan Mon 08-Apr-13 00:43:07

broomsticks I suppose why it makes me cross is that it's given so much coverage in the media, when it is basically just a commercial thing. If vast amounts of money from gambling weren't involved, horse racing wouldn't even exist.

I agree with you absolutely about the export of animals - I think it's appallingly cruel.

broomsticks Sun 07-Apr-13 17:48:09

No, no, sorry Eloethan. I just expressed it badly. You can't really have a discussion if everyone agrees. It would be boring.

What I mean is that we (humans) always seem to go for easy targets instead of trying to really put things right. I hate the idea of horses suffering but why so much coverage of the Grand National and so little coverage of live export for meat which causes suffering to so many more horses?

Eloethan Sat 06-Apr-13 14:07:21

Mishap exactly.

broomsticks I don't understand why someone expressing an opinion should cause you to be irritated. I thought that was the whole purpose of this forum. Or are you saying that people who have an opinion different from your own are irritating?

Mishap Sat 06-Apr-13 13:06:42

I think neither are acceptable.

gracesmum Sat 06-Apr-13 11:32:08

Or 2 threads?

j08 Sat 06-Apr-13 11:05:22

Two wrongs not making a right?

True though.

broomsticks Sat 06-Apr-13 11:02:43

Personally I find people saying that the race is cruel very irritating. Why don't the campaigners try to save the countless horses that are shipped off to abattoirs in Europe? No one cares if they are hurt or frightened or badly cared for.