Gransnet forums

Sport

Formula one.....anyone

(24 Posts)
Charleygirl Wed 05-Jun-13 10:01:44

I cannot understand the fascination with this sport. If I turned down the sound, it would send me to sleep within minutes. I loathe it.

chunckey Wed 05-Jun-13 09:07:42

As I said you either love it or hate itwink

laidback Wed 05-Jun-13 00:47:49

I like Mark Webber a lot, he comes across as very personable. It must be difficult to be in a team with Vettel. He seems a bit cut throat and robotic. win at all costs.I think Massa is a spent force. Alonzo is the one to watch this season? If Ferrari keep improving the car.

annodomini Tue 04-Jun-13 18:28:53

I find it abhorrent that a so-called sport can be so utterly insensitive to the environment. Quite apart from the noise and polluting fumes in the qualifying and the races themselves, an unimaginable number of air miles must be spent transporting these machines and the teams that maintain them around the world and back again month in, month out during the grand prix season.

ninathenana Tue 04-Jun-13 18:10:59

No, no, a thousand times no !!

Deedaa Mon 03-Jun-13 22:36:14

I'm not saying that we're F1 fans - but my daughter nearly had her first baby in the car because she wouldn't leave for the hospital before Michael had finished his last race for Ferrari! Actually she was in so much pain by that time that she couldn't remember what happened in the race anyway grin I refuse to pay to see it on Sky, I wouldn't mind if it was a minority sport but I don't think it is.
We made it to the Monaco Grand Prix about 15 years ago and it was brilliant. I would really like to see Mark Webber and Phillipe Massa do well this year, but I think Vettel is still the one to beat.

chunckey Mon 27-May-13 13:20:59

You mean Ralph Schumacher, he too started at Jorden, then went to Williams and then to Toyota, where he finished his career in F1. He now races
GT and Sport cars .

NannaB Mon 27-May-13 12:16:32

We all love F1 in this household. I have beem to the Monaco Grand Prix twice. As we normally watch it on BBC, and as previously mentioned they didn't have the live coverage of the race, we paid to watch on Sky. I think it was worth it - the jury is still out own that though!

Tegan Mon 27-May-13 11:56:48

It was Ferrari I'm thinking of. What happened to his brother; did he just not come back after that injury?

chunckey Mon 27-May-13 11:34:09

Schumacher drove for Jorden then Benniton and then for Ferrari, he retired for the first time at Ferrari and then came back to drive for Mercedes.
You either love it or hate it !

Tegan Mon 27-May-13 11:08:09

Which was the team that Schumacher moved to that had a new car and he and they turned it into a world beater [which is when it got boring]?

Tegan Mon 27-May-13 11:04:30

I don't like Hamilton. Think he has a rush of blood to the head too often and puts others at risk.

laidback Mon 27-May-13 10:48:42

I thought Hamilton moved to Mercedes for money but actually they seem to have the better car this year. Jenson has a few issues with Perez!smile

j08 Mon 27-May-13 10:37:06

Oh, right! smile

Yes, I always think it is more down to the car design than the drivers.

Hunt Mon 27-May-13 10:16:56

Actually, j08, the qualifying is often more interesting than the race itself. Wish Jenson had a better car, he's my 'fave'.

j08 Mon 27-May-13 10:02:48

Is it me, or is there more and more coverage these days? hmm It used to be Sunday afternoons but now it is Saturday evenings as well, for the practice!

I have finally banished DH to the spare room (bought him a comfy chair [kind]) to watch it. Can't stand the yeowm yeowm that goes with it. And the sitting on the edge of the seat needing, apparently, to get as close to the screen as possible.

#mindless #reallyhateF1

chunckey Mon 27-May-13 09:23:34

I love F1,I have done for years and follow it as much as I can.
This season is a bit of a mixed bag with different opinions about the tyres and my favourite team (Maclaren) doing so badly, but it all adds to it.
I hate what the BBC have done to the coverage and I wont pay for Sky to watch it.
I went to Silverstone last year, first time at a live Grand Prix , what an experience, fantastic birthday present for a 66 year old

Tegan Sun 26-May-13 01:27:00

I was watching the race where Shumacher pushed Damon off the road [was it the Japanese Grand Prix]. I'd nodded off but woke up just as it happened. So the following season I was obsessed with Damon winning the Championship. I've never been to a Grand Prix [so expensive] although the S.O. has been to one a long time ago. Probably needs to go on my tick list [along with the Derby next year].

laidback Sat 25-May-13 19:07:57

I watched the senna film....excellent. I did'nt really get F1 till I went to the british grand prix. Its was brilliant. I love the xtra dimension now with the tyres and strategy... I wish I was in Monaco....I would love to get to a european grand prix this year. Its the noise and the fans.....unbelieveable.

Forzanonna Sat 25-May-13 18:40:50

Yes Tegan I saw the Senna film which was excellent. Ferrari supporters in this house - though I do have a soft spot for Lotus which was "my" team in the JPS days, shifted allegiance to Ferrari when Lotus disappeared.

Tegan Sat 25-May-13 18:38:57

I think as well that, when it went to ITV the adverts put me off.

Tegan Sat 25-May-13 18:38:00

I lost interest a few years back and can't get the interest back. I used to get up in the night to watch it when Damon Hill was racing; then the Schumacher years were sooo boring, and I never got back into it. I spoke to someome a few years back who used to work on developing the engines and found the constructors championship side quite interesting [not that I understood it!]. I do like to see Button do well, though. I used to love Montoya! Did you see the recent film about Senna? I wasn't going to watch it, thinking that it would be too sad [which it was] but it was very good.

Forzanonna Sat 25-May-13 18:35:22

Yep- love it - can't believe BBC don't have live coverage of Monaco sad

laidback Sat 25-May-13 17:56:21

Is Anybody following this season.....?