Gransnet forums

Sport

Men,sport and television.

(32 Posts)
Stansgran Mon 09-Dec-13 11:31:22

Does any women watch snooker on TV while listening to football without head phones on the radio? Is it a male only skill? Is it a male version of multitasking? Just asking.

grumppa Sun 13-Mar-22 11:02:46

There are so many long interruptions in an international rugby match - seeking the off-pitch official's opinion, the time it takes to get the ball into a scrum - that I have to have something else to keep me occupied.

timetogo2016 Sun 13-Mar-22 10:01:48

My Dh watches darts at the same time he`s on the lap top.
Then he has the nerve to ask who got the 180 love.GRRRR.

Yammy Sun 13-Mar-22 09:48:50

My husband was given permission to marry me by his father!!!! not mine. The reason I sat quietly during the rugby.
He has a chair he turns right in front of the screen and gives a loud running commentary about the game and the manager whilst listening to and complaining about the T.V. commentator's loud running commentaries.
All punctuated with doing the Times word puzzles and crosswords and frequent visits to the fridge for top-up beers.
His phone is constantly pinging with messages from his brother which he laughs at but will not tell you what has been said.
He then falls asleep with the TV controls tucked down beside him so you cannot switch the thing off.
The trouble is if it was all normal and calm I actually like the Rugby.confused

nadateturbe Sun 13-Mar-22 09:28:33

My OH reads the Guardian online while watching rugby/football. Can sit through 3 matches. In the living room. We have a TV upstairs, but he won't watch there.

Redhead56 Sun 13-Mar-22 09:20:10

We watch and attend rugby matches we both enjoy the game. My hubby has a fascinating ability to have any sport on tv extremely loud while watching something on his phone.
Full blast volume its like being in a sports bar it is the only time he can multitask. I shout to turn the volume down and he can’t hear me but he is not hard of hearing of course!

Hymnbook Sun 13-Mar-22 09:14:22

I now live alone thank goodness. I don't have to endure hours of sport particularly football. I enjoyed going to watch it at the local club but not on the tv.

Kim19 Sun 13-Mar-22 08:49:25

I can certainly relate to this. I rarely listen to the inaccurate commentary on snooker but do enjoy watching it. Find myself often listening to a radio play or something similar at the same time. Certainly never football though!

Grandmabatty Sun 13-Mar-22 08:43:32

Reported.

Dasha555 Sun 13-Mar-22 08:41:37

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Nana3 Tue 01-Mar-22 20:38:04

I left the sitting room to answer the phone and as per usual DH turns the TV over and guess what, we are now watching football, Middlesbrough v Tottenham Hotspur, I'm getting into it but browsing gransnet too ?

MayBeMaw Fri 17-Sep-21 23:05:33

Reported <yawn>

AnimeMaster Fri 17-Sep-21 21:05:45

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Mishap Tue 10-Dec-13 18:45:03

Mine refuses to countenance having any sport on the TV at all. I too have no interest except tennis, which he just about tolerates once a year.

janerowena Tue 10-Dec-13 18:39:32

Yes, mine can multi-task - but only if sport is involved. He can listen to a commentary through his headphones, watch the racing on his laptop and cook dinner on a saturday (his night) all at the same time as checking his twitter friends. He often sits in front of footie or rugby or cricket or racing while any of those will also be on his laptop next to him and he will be discussing another on his phone. But if I dare to say anything unconnected... He switches everything off and says he can't concentrate, lets me finish and then switches it all back on again. Perfectly politely but I find it very odd.

Tegan Tue 10-Dec-13 17:45:27

This is very two faced of me, given that I spend all year discussing who will win at Cheltenham, Newmarket or The Derby, but I can't quite get over how many hours were spent on R5Live discussing the World Cup Draw confused. And, when they were talking about problems with altitude, heat etc I wanted to phone in and say they needed to speak to Andy Murray about his contant urine analysis cause it certainly works for him. Simples.

Agus Tue 10-Dec-13 00:03:10

Yes merlot I can close the door to the room he watches them in and can peacefully enjoy a book somewhere else in the house. Perfect grin

Anne58 Mon 09-Dec-13 23:55:40

The only sport that Mr P is even vaguely interested in is cricket, and that doesn't seem to be on much.

Love that man! tchgrin

Enviousamerican Mon 09-Dec-13 23:42:02

I grew up falling asleep on the couch to the sound of football...still do! As you all say...bless um! smile

merlotgran Mon 09-Dec-13 23:33:39

F1....Peace and quiet, Agus? I cheered when the season came to an end as well as touring cars and super bikes. My whole weekend was filled with the sound of noisy things going round in circles.

Agus Mon 09-Dec-13 22:59:33

DH is a snooker and F1 fan. I love when these programmes come on......
I get peace and quiet grin

annodomini Mon 09-Dec-13 22:51:57

i must admit that I surf the net while watching rugby, nina. hmm

ninathenana Mon 09-Dec-13 22:28:52

Mine watches rugby and reads a book confused

merlotgran Mon 09-Dec-13 20:14:39

Mine can do that while finishing the crossword in his fishing magazine. The fire then needs a bit of a stoke up so it's clang-a-lang-a-lang with the poker which then gives him a coughing fit.

Boy, it's peaceful in our house on a Saturday afternoon hmm

Bellasnana Mon 09-Dec-13 19:19:32

Mine watches the snooker whilst wearing noise-canceling headphones and then comments really loudly because he can't hear himself speaking! He did this on the plane once as well, much to my embarrassment.

glammanana Mon 09-Dec-13 18:22:47

Mine watches a programme on TV and flits into the kitchen on the ad breaks to catch up with Sports Talk this takes place most Sat/Sundays it's a wonder the floor is not worn out.
Mind he has boxing day all sorted for a man's afternoon in with said football and invited both DSs & 4DGSs so no chance for me that day I think.