Gransnet forums

Sport

Football Academy Scouting

(4 Posts)
DerekY Tue 07-Jan-14 07:23:41

I had been a football Academy scout for 7 years with achampionship club. 18 onth back I had a slight stroke which partially effected sight. I travelled throughout South Yorkshire the later part of my time with them covering under 7's and junior club nursery set up's. I was out nearly every weekend for expenses only. When I approached the club last year could they pay for a taxi for me to scout a new ACADEMY director and recruitment officer were in place and I was told they were not interested. Now the grading of various Academy's has moved to a league status I have contacted several premier clubs and other South yorkshire clubs without any joy.

glammanana Tue 07-Jan-14 12:51:18

What a shame Derek that your expertise has not been taken up by the clubs concerned all us mums & nana's whose DCs/DGC take part in Junior Football Teams know how hard you all work for the good of the boys/girls who take part and value the commitment that Scouts/Refs/Managers put into the game for the little ones but it looks like a case of the Premier Clubs taking total control & new broom sweeps clean attitude so to speak.Can you not get involved with a junior team as a trainer/coach to keep your interest in the sport.Best of luck from a long term side line mum/nanna.

DerekY Thu 09-Jan-14 18:27:54

Many thanks for the kind words. Unfortunatley I csnnot Stand or walk for more than 5 or 10 minutes.

glammanana Fri 10-Jan-14 10:43:14

Sorry to hear that DerekY all I can say is it may be of interest for you to attend some junior matches and just give you sideline support to the managers whilst sitting and enjoying some of our future proffessional football players,we go most week-ends but not in a manergerial capacity more of a "you are washing the kit this week" capacity grin