Gransnet forums

Sport

People can be horrible - Man United

(12 Posts)
annodomini Sun 30-Mar-14 18:37:53

I got the impression that this stunt was devised by a minority of supporters. I hope they have wasted their cash!

Iam64 Sun 30-Mar-14 17:58:03

I was 'brought up' to support MUFC and still do. Evidently, the fans booed the plane when it flew over the ground. The team scored 4 goals. (I've been away, but I think the score was 4 - 1 )

henetha Sun 30-Mar-14 14:35:28

The whole world of football is a complete mystery to me. It does seem to be more about money/big business these days rather than the actual sport.
On the face of it, without knowing the details, it seems like a rotten trick to trail a banner across the sky.

Aka Sun 30-Mar-14 14:08:40

Linking pay to performance....yes. Bankers, footballers, cricketers, police, nurses and doctors, etc.

Aka Sun 30-Mar-14 14:06:28

I like that idea rosequartz

annodomini Sun 30-Mar-14 14:06:25

I must agree - I think it was just plain rude, not to say hurtful. Surely managers have feelings too. Anyway, at least United won yesterday - and they are the only English team left in the Champions' League, though maybe not for long.

Tegan Sun 30-Mar-14 13:24:57

I don't understand why managers move from club to club so often; each time they're sacked they're usually under a contract for several years and get a massive pay off. They then move straight to another club and the same thing happens again. Mind you, it just goes to show how important the manager is when it comes to a teams performance. Sir Alex just made it look so easy.

Grannyknot Sun 30-Mar-14 13:12:37

I don't follow football at all, but I think this is disgraceful. They've made it personal. Imagine if he cracked up, or even worse because of that? Awful.

rosequartz Sun 30-Mar-14 13:02:48

Perhaps players extortionate salaries should depend on results, eg a flat rate wage and bonuses when they win or score.

glammanana Sat 29-Mar-14 23:00:08

I don't think it was the best thing to do jings but I can sort of understand why it was done,the fans are so passionate about their club and the way performance has dropped also there is the cost of entrance to watch a team that has just lost it's sparkle at the minute,it is certainly a way to get the owners of the club to listen to the people who pay their massive wages but will it work or backfire on them,who knows.

Anne58 Sat 29-Mar-14 22:50:37

What a ridiculous waste of money!

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 29-Mar-14 22:35:20

fancy flying a plane over the pitch trailing a banner calling for the manager to be sacked!

There are some idiots in this world. Really nasty.