Gransnet forums

Sport

French Open

(6 Posts)
Tegan Wed 03-Jun-15 21:29:39

I've been really enjoying coverage of the French Open [I love the French crowd] but have been wondering about whether the clothes they are wearing has an effect on the match. For example today Djokevitch [sp] was wearing orange and black against an orangey clay background, whereas Nadal [who lost] was wearing bright blue. I know that Nadal wasn't playing well enough to win anyway but would it be easier to pre empt which way he was going to move because he was more brightly coloured. I've often thought that about football teams as well [eg when England play in white and it's a dull day #alwaysadulldaywhenenglandplaysob].

HildaW Wed 03-Jun-15 21:39:00

Must admit...I much prefer watching them in white!

NanKate Wed 03-Jun-15 22:22:04

Rafa Nadal my favourite tennis player as he is such a nice young man and so sportsman like. How sad he lost today especially as he upped his game so much, but not quite enough to beat Djokovic.

To be honest I don't think the colour of their sports gear makes any difference. I loved Wawrinka's stripy trunks in pink and white. grin

Charleygirl Wed 03-Jun-15 22:24:53

I did not like Andy's grey outfit although it made little difference to his game. I agree, I also prefer to see them playing wearing white.

Tegan Wed 03-Jun-15 23:05:14

I think the French ball boys and girls look very chic in their black outfits. Strange to think that Rafa seems to be on a downward trajectory sad whereas Andy [who, I believe is the same age] is on the up. But I always felt he was a bit raw and unfurnished and needed to grow into himself [mentally and physically]. I really liked the American lad who played yesterday but still can't warm to Serena, brilliant as she is.

NanKate Thu 04-Jun-15 07:15:41

Yes it is odd Tegan I feel the same about Serena and I can't say why.

Also very sad about Rafa I do hope he comes back fighting, but there are so many young tennis stars snapping at the heels of the Big Boys.

Yes the US player Sock seems a lovely young man and one to follow. The commentator said how when one of the ball boys brought him some water he said 'Thanks Buddy', usually they are ignored by the players.

One slight reservation about the ball girls, their outfits were very chic as you say but I was rather concerned that they looked a bit too attractive and might be attractive to men who like young girls. Sad old world that I should think like that but youngsters need to be protected. I hope I am just being over sensitive.