Gransnet forums

Sport

Wimbledon...

(118 Posts)
LyndaW Fri 26-Jun-15 15:14:40

...starts on Monday. Who's going to be watching?! Winners predictions?

whenim64 Fri 03-Jul-15 19:50:29

I'm spent from tensing everything that would tense during that match. What a fabulous player Heather is becoming.

Lona Fri 03-Jul-15 19:40:51

That was amazing! What a star Heather is, she really played like a champion!

Anniebach Fri 03-Jul-15 19:15:20

Heather you are brilliant. Gooooooo girl

HildaW Fri 03-Jul-15 19:11:12

Can't watch......!!!!

merlotgran Fri 03-Jul-15 18:29:00

C'MON HEATHER!!!!!

gammon Fri 03-Jul-15 15:18:19

Dustin was amazing to watch. Not sure I fancy Andy's chances against him if that happens to be honest. It was sad to see Rafa go but I reckon, if you've won it once, others should have a chance.

annodomini Fri 03-Jul-15 10:45:30

He says himself that he plays at his best on grass which is a fast surface. That's why he is not highly ranked as the majority of the tournaments he plays are on clay or hard courts. If only entertainment value could taken into consideration when rankings are handed out!

bramblelover Fri 03-Jul-15 10:36:51

Remember him being beaten by Andy Murray in the us open 4 or or 5 years ago but don't remember him being so fast. He's also played at Wimbledon a couple of times as I wondered what the reaction from the "Blazers" at Wimbledon must have been!!!! His parents if I recall sacrificed so much to enable him to play.

Lona Fri 03-Jul-15 10:16:56

He was great wasn't he? I enjoyed his style whilst feeling sad for Rafa. I didn't see all the match though as I was playing hide and seek at the same time! grin

All that hair must be so hot on the neck and back. There was a young woman playing the other day and her ponytail was stuck all found her neck! Yuk.

Tegan Fri 03-Jul-15 09:36:29

He'll probably go out in the next round; straight sets [as often seems to happen]. There used to be a Rasta show jumper years ago...I do like to see unconventional people do well at slightly starchy events [although I'm not knocking Wimbledon too much as I do like tradition in sport].

hildajenniJ Fri 03-Jul-15 08:33:01

What a breath of fresh air! I haven't seen anyone play like that for years. Watching Dustin Brown took me back to watching players in the '60's. Absolutely superb. I can't wait to see if he can keep it up.

Pittcity Fri 03-Jul-15 08:00:13

It seems the tattoo was a mystery. Andrew Castle said it was Bob Marley and others Dennis Brown. Dustin says that it is his Father!

NanKate Fri 03-Jul-15 07:27:57

I am so sad to see Rafa go, my favourite player, however Dustin Brown was phenomenal and I would like to see him go all the way. He was interviewed afterwards and came over as a thoroughly nice young man.

whenim64 Thu 02-Jul-15 22:46:45

Wasn't he fast? I've never seen so many drop shots in one match. Seems he was a complete outsider and had to compete to get into the first round. The reggae singer was Dennis Brown who died quite a few years ago.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of him - his playing style is so different from all those baseliners.

Charleygirl Thu 02-Jul-15 21:52:36

That was superb this evening. I have never heard of Dustin Brown before and I do not know why because with that level of tennis he could beat anybody.

The tattoo was not Bob Marley it was the singer Brown, I have forgotten his first name, he died not so long ago.

If all goes to plan he could meet up with Andy I think in the quarter finals. A scary thought.

Tomorrow and Saturday should be two good days to watch.

Anniebach Thu 02-Jul-15 21:43:01

A good days play,

merlotgran Thu 02-Jul-15 21:03:58

I think he had Rafa on the ropes from the first few points of the match. Great to see such a variety of shots....nothing predictable. Just like tennis used to be.

Tegan Thu 02-Jul-15 20:58:16

Watched it at the gym; did he play well or did Rafa play badly [my knowledge of tennis isn't good]? Either way, I was stuck on the walking machine for ages cause it was the only equipment near to the telly [calves are killing me now].

Pittcity Thu 02-Jul-15 20:52:35

Bit skinny for me, but love the Bob Marley tattoo!
He's 30, pretty old in the tennis world. So where has he been all these years?

annodomini Thu 02-Jul-15 20:50:12

An exciting match, except for poor Rafa.

merlotgran Thu 02-Jul-15 19:44:06

He's my new tennis hero. A little bit cute and lovely eyes. wink

Not a bad player either. grin

Pittcity Thu 02-Jul-15 19:24:36

It's fabulous merlot.

merlotgran Thu 02-Jul-15 18:48:19

Rafa versus Rasta!

This is brilliant!!

Grannyknot Wed 01-Jul-15 21:35:01

Has anyone ever queued for and got returns (tickets)? The website says to queue for returns from 3 p.m. ... I'd like to try but don't fancy standing for hours to no avail.

Anniebach Wed 01-Jul-15 18:46:42

It was whenim, gripping