Gransnet forums

Sport

Elderly Athletes

(7 Posts)
granjura Sat 27-Jun-15 20:51:42

My dad cross-country skied and rode his bike until he was 94.

FarNorth Sat 27-Jun-15 19:04:34

It's a shame you can't see the pictures, nina.
Well done to your brother, he's certainly putting in the effort to keep himself fit. smile

ninathenana Sat 27-Jun-15 14:36:44

Can't see the pics on the link, only text. I admire my brother who was 65 this month and still cycles 20 miles daily and recently took part in a 100 mile ride.
If only grin

soontobe Sat 27-Jun-15 09:35:56

Brilliant!

I tore out a couple of pages from a magazine a couple of years ago of a similar thing. It was an article about people in their 60s and 70s who were runners. And why or how they had got or got back into it.
It was very inspirational, and I look at it from time to time.

Some of them had a change in life circumstances. Some of them wanted to take up a new challenge that helped them meet people. And some of them used to be into sport when they were at school, and were now keen to take it up again.

posie Sat 27-Jun-15 09:01:28

Good for them!

Wish I could do it but my knees & feet complain if I walk to the bus stop, although that is a 2mile walk. I thought I was doing well because I go swimming once a week.

I don't understand how they can do it at that level especially as one lady didn't start till she was 77? confused

ffinnochio Sat 27-Jun-15 08:42:44

Thanks for the link, FarNorth. Great photos.

FarNorth Sat 27-Jun-15 00:50:16

positivenews.org.uk/2015/positive_perspective/17873/in-pictures-elderly-athletes-show-age-just-a-number/

Great achievements by people in their 80s & 90s. In pictures.