Gransnet forums

Sport

horse riding

(46 Posts)
jenn Tue 22-Sep-15 19:45:42

Are there any other grans who still keep horses and ride?
Many people seem surprised that at 64 I still look after my horse and ride regularly. I feel as fit as I did 20 years ago and apart from an 'old back'(physio,s words ) I'm fine. I retired 4 years ago and I'm loving it.
I know that eventually I will have to give up but I am planning to ride out on my 70th birthday.
That's my ambition now.

Menopaws Wed 02-Nov-16 21:22:12

Thank you Alea I hate the phrase horse riding, I always went riding, ( no offence intended) worked with hunters and racehorses for 30 years, best job in the world but my boss retired and I just couldn't bear to work for anyone else or go to local riding school having ridden so many quality animals. I have a friend with horses and intend to ride again soon but I want to be thinner and fitter first but that is my goal.

Tegan Wed 02-Nov-16 21:27:22

Which racing stables did you work for?

NonnaW Wed 02-Nov-16 21:33:42

I rode briefly when I was in Cyprus 25 years ago. I joined the Saddle Club and loved just pooling around. I had no ambitions to learn to jump, just enjoyed the experience. I started when I was 38, till I was 41 when we left to come back home. I'm now 63 and would love to have a go again. DH2 is 67 and would like to try riding. I need to find a local riding school that would be willing to take a couple of oldies!

Menopaws Wed 02-Nov-16 21:48:30

It wasn't a racing yard but a yard that broke two year olds prior to them being sent into training and also where active racehorses went for back treatment following injury and got them back to fitness before returning to training. The horses all came from different top yards though

Menopaws Wed 02-Nov-16 21:53:45

Anya, surely saddle soap and hoof oil too. I still have my old saddle and sniff it occasionally!!

Hilltopgran Wed 02-Nov-16 22:44:49

My Mum was still riding my DD 14.2 at 80. I have lots of happy memories of my children growing up and days at PC rallies and events, we used to go as a whole family and had some wonderful times.

I looked after 2 young cobs for Blue Cross when I retired in my late 60s until they were old enough to start their ridden training, very rewarding.
loved having them around, as DGC live abroad it was

Buddly Sun 06-Nov-16 11:13:42

How pleased I was to find this thread !! Something I've been thinking about a lot recently. I have 4 horses and ride and compete dressage on 2 of them. Mucking out 4 stables keeps me fit. I had a bad fall in June and was off for 2 months but I'm ok now and back to training again.
I wouldn't know what to do if I didn't have this way of life but I keep thinking I'm too old and see all the young ones about and feel ancient, I'm 62. My instructor says I should be proud about still having the stamina and interest in carrying on but sometimes I feel a bit embarrased at shows when they are all so young and the first thing I do is look to see if there is anyone my age then I feel better but that does not happen often.
Wish I could get over this self conscious rubbish

Tegan Sun 06-Nov-16 16:02:17

They say that if you start learning about horses from the day you're born, by the day you die you still haven't learned all there is to know. I get my 'horse fix' from watching and going racing these days [was up late last night watching the Breeders Cup from America].They're such fascinating, complex, beautiful creatures, aren't they.

notoveryet Sun 06-Nov-16 16:59:30

I'm 65 and have had to give up after a back injury ( car accident) my husband is 72 and in badly failing health, so has also had to give up. However he rode bare back for the first time on his 70th birthday. We both have happy memories of riding and like most things I would say do it while you are able, its the things we don't do that we tend to reret.

trisher Sun 06-Nov-16 17:13:22

I never learned to ride, but it was a childhood dream. I wonder am I too old and if not where should I start? I'm a fairly fit, if a bit overweight, 70 year old. Should I just admit it isn't going to happen and abandon the idea? Any advice will be welcome.

tiggypiro Sun 06-Nov-16 17:58:18

Never abandon your dreams trisher, just go out there and do it. Look around for a riding school who are sympathetic to your age and inexperience - most should be. As notoveryet said it is what we don't do that we regret.
Enjoy !!

Hamlet57 Mon 04-Sep-17 18:31:53

Hello ladies. Really nice to hear so many of you still enjoying the horses. I am 57 & absolutely love riding holidays, especially trails in the Spanish Pyrenees. True, I have arthritis in my feet which bothers me occasionally but the connection with your horse, fresh air, scenery, excitement ... can't be beaten

M0nica Mon 04-Sep-17 19:07:45

The Queen is still riding at 90.

caduvovo Mon 27-Nov-17 19:08:24

Yes, I do.
I am 65 , my horse is 27.
I have had him 25 years.

lovingit Mon 27-Nov-17 23:43:20

66 and still mucking out and riding my beloved spoilt horse although in this weather fish seem the ideal pet.

Cowgirlgrandma Sat 28-Jul-18 16:03:52

I’ve just joined Gransnet. I am 73 and still ride my 25 year old American Quarter Horse although not competing now. I used to compete western. (American style). It’s a good discipline for oldies too! Are there any more western riders around my age out there?

Buddly Sat 28-Jul-18 19:46:46

Welcome cowgirlgrandma.
Good for you, glad to meet another horse mad grandma ?

Cowgirlgrandma Sun 29-Jul-18 12:38:17

Thank you Buddly. Four horses? Be proud of yourself and keep going!

GabriellaG54 Sat 05-Jan-19 12:06:00

Menopaws
Remember Jack (and Jo) Berry (Mr Two Year Old) always wore a red shirt at the races?

Jabberwok Sat 06-Apr-19 17:32:58

We have an Exmoor pony that is ride and drive! Well not much riding any more both DH and I are too old, but we still drive our old boy on a fine day,round our country lanes. He's 15 now having been with us since he was 4. He's the last of our little herd of Exmoors of yesteryear ) and is a dear old boy. Luckily DD can give him a home if the day comes that we can't, (they do live for ever!!) also our little dog. That's one less worry!!!!!