Gransnet forums

Sport

Go go go The Foxes

(96 Posts)
granjura Sat 09-Apr-16 19:51:39

as a Leicester adoptee for 34 years- I am very excited at the prostpect of winning by a massive margin. A fabulous under-dog story. Not a football fan really, we were great Tigers (rugby) supporters- and my home game is ice-hockey of course-
but we will be cheering the Foxes all the way with our Leicester friends.

And I can't wait to see Gary presenting 'Match of the day' in his underpants, lol.
I remember the days when he used to help at his father's fruit and veg stall on Leicester market- he was so shy then. Happy days. (we lived there from 1975 to 2009). In the 70s we used to meet a lot of LCFC- as one of our neighbours was a key player.

Alima Sat 09-Apr-16 20:24:40

Do so hope they get the title, a real fairytale. Go Leicester! (Quite something from a Derby supporter!)

rosesarered Sat 09-Apr-16 20:32:57

aw shucks. thought this was a recommendation for a really good pub!

rosesarered Sat 09-Apr-16 20:34:45

Didn't notice it was in the Sport section. As I am here though, Good Luck to The Foxes!

Nelliemoser Sat 09-Apr-16 21:20:33

As a Leicester native I really hope they win. It's such a pity my dad did not live to hear this news, he would have loved this. I feel I want to send him a message.

I could tell him when I go up to where we scattered his ashes in 2003, it's his anniversary next Thursday.

granjura Sat 09-Apr-16 21:33:57

flowers

do you mind sharing location (please don't if you feel it is tasteless to ask). Trying to imagine places I'd love for my ashes in Leicestershire. The Outwoods at blubell time, Beacon Hill or Old John in Bradgate Park, perhaps Launde Abbey or the Iron Age Burrough Hill- or one of my favourite badger setts- Monks Grave- or in the grounds of the lovely Jacobean Quenby Hall. Or on the hill above Hambleton Hall on Rutland Water- so many wonderful places. Leicestershire is so pretty and varied.

But perhaps in Derbyshire- at my favourite ever castle in the whole wide world,
Haddon Hall.

Treebee Sat 09-Apr-16 21:34:21

DH has been a Leicester fan since before I met him, he comes from Hinckley. I had got used to his long face on match days and " they've lost again". He is gobsmacked about the sudden success they've had, and so superstitious about it. He will be beside himself if all goes well.

Treebee Sat 09-Apr-16 21:36:54

Nelliemoser, my husband has said the same. His Dad died a year ago and he would have loved to know that they were doing so well.

granjura Sat 09-Apr-16 21:53:31

In Switzerland nobody seems to know anything about Leicester- until now. All the youngster round here now ask about it and say 'you are from Lei-ceis-tair aren't you- what's it like. The Foxes are brilliant etc. I have to correct them and say it's 'Lesta' and yes, it's a wonderful place. My physio is the official physio for the Swiss National Team (he is from Mauritius though lol) - and he is always talking and asking about it. His friend Hinler is a Foxes player- as well as a Swiss national player. Quite funny really to see how famous Leicester has become in a few weeks!

rosesarered Sat 09-Apr-16 21:56:15

Tell them about the wonderful cheese!

kittylester Sat 09-Apr-16 22:05:49

blush - the footie fans in this house are Forest fans! shock which makes life a bit uncomfortable at rhe moment considering we live in Leicestershire.

DH wants his ashes scattered on Beacon Hill - he says his God lives there. sunshine

Anniebach Sat 09-Apr-16 22:22:23

I know nothing about football but have heard of Leicester possibly winning a championship. I wish then much luck

Cherrytree59 Sat 09-Apr-16 22:44:13

Hi GJ. Not a footy fan but very happy to hear leicester FC doing so well. My favourite (geography)teacher was a big fan.
We are also Leicester Tigers fans.
We have to travel to Welford road and often make a weekend of it.
So I think we will have to explore the county and find some of the places you mention.
Any other recommendations would be great

POGS Sat 09-Apr-16 22:52:48

Kitty

Could be worse , they could support ' Cov '. smile

If the fans caused a 0.3 magnitude earthquake before what will happen if they win. grin ' Go Vardy '.

granjura Sun 10-Apr-16 10:08:38

Cherrytree- our relative darn sarf were always so rude about Leicester- and always used to say, come to us in Surrey or Devon- not much point in us coming to Leicester really! Until we did insist that it was their turn- and took them to the places mentionned- and they were amazed. Surrey is indeed beatiful, but roads are so busy...they loved the tranquility of Leicestershire rolling hills- and of course Rutland- the Cotswolds without the tourists, souvenir shops and multitude of tea shops...

North East Leicestershire around Bradgate Park is the only granit volcanic rock area in central UK- called Swithland- with blue/green/even pink granit villages with the most wonderful matt Swithland slate rooves- and wonderful bluebell woods. From Old John or Beacon Hill, you can see for miles upon miles- it has the ruins of the Grey family home (Lady Jane Grey Queen for 9 days fame) and lots of deer, and very old gnarled and twisted oaks- wonderful atmosphere.

Launde Abbey is still a living monastery- much much smaller than it was pre-reformation- but it is a lost paradise. Last time we went, we came across 4 baby owls peeking out of the holes/nest among the roots of an old oak tree- magical.

We spent the millenium night at Burrough Hill Fort- again you can see for miles and miles- we watched all the fireworks from up there- surrounde by New Age families beating drums and dancing- loved it.

Sorry, I digress- did I ever say a big part of my heart will always be in Leicestershire and Rutland?

granjura Sun 10-Apr-16 10:25:43

A walk by the Canal and all the locks at Foxton Locks is lovely too- but can get busy at week-ends- and the lovely small town of Market Harborough is a nice place to stay (at the Three Swans).

pompa Sun 10-Apr-16 10:53:27

Some more suggestions please. We are staying in Leicester (Narborough) in July for a couple of weeks looking after Daughters cats. So we are looking for places to go. I remember Foxton locks back in the 50's when I used to stay with my brother in Husbands Bosworth. Must have changed a lot as the canal was not navigable then.

granjura Sun 10-Apr-16 12:29:43

I do not know the area round Narborough well I have to say. I lived in East Leics and got to know Swithland when I worked in Loughborough and had to commute. I used to change the route as often as I could- and stop on the way home to walk and explore. Also used to travel by car half way then cycle the rest by small roads- hence discovering the Outwoods, sessile oaks and bluebells - and Swithland in general.

In Leicester, I try to avoid café chains- and we always go to Mrs Bridge's Café for lunch or tea- love it as it hasn't changed since 1975 and before- but the food is excellent. The current Chef used to be a student of mine- and always treats us like royalty. We love the rare beef and stilton sanwiches with salad- but it's all good- and very close to the Cathedral, market and Richard III centre, and the Shires shopping Mall.

How about visiting h the lovely village of Bosworth, and the Bosworth Battle site and Museum?

For gardens, the University Botanical garden opposite the Oadby racecourse is a delight. And of course Barnsdale Gardens near Rutland Water and lovely Oakham is wonderful - with lunch at Barnsdale Lodge- or the Finches Arms on the Hambleton Peninsula- or for a VERY special treat, the Michelin * Hambleton Hall- the Lunch for less option, from Tuesday to Thursday I beleieve, is actually very good value for money- and a VERY special place (19C hunting lodge) fabulous +++.

Or a bit further north, the Michelin * Olive Branch pub near Cotttesmore (ooops name of village with great yew tree garden just escapes me now).

granjura Sun 10-Apr-16 12:39:06

followed by a trip on the Rutland Belle on the reservoir to try and catch a good view of the ospreys fishing...

rosesarered Sun 10-Apr-16 15:28:23

Yes, lovely walks around Rutland Water and you can hire bikes too. nice Italian type cafe/ brassierie there for morning coffee or a lunch.Oakham is great with some lovely shops and you can go further East to Stamford for the day .Visit Melton Mowbray and go to the Olde Pie Shoppe ( buy the huge pie it lasts ages.)

rosesarered Sun 10-Apr-16 15:30:13

Gorgeous villages in Rutland, all with good pubs, Uppingham, Greetham,and Cottesmore amongst them.

kittylester Sun 10-Apr-16 15:47:59

There is a fabulous Arts and Crafts House, owned by the National Trust, in Charnwood Forest which is well worth a visit. I imagine you've done Calke Abbey and Kedleston Hall just over the Derbyshire border. And the Great Central Railway.

Imperfect27 Sun 10-Apr-16 16:59:42

granjura, even though I am an avid Spurs fan, I will be very happy for Leicester if they win the title and it does look like they should! They have been consistently brilliant and I love the fact that they are not a 'huge money' club. Just biting my nails through the Spurs v Man U match at the moment - but more because I just hope we finish above Arsenal for a change grin. OH supports arsenal - surprised the marriage works really!!!

Alima Sun 10-Apr-16 17:14:00

Great going Imp, back to football!

granjura Sun 10-Apr-16 17:16:56

If you do go to wonderful Stamford- do go and visit Burley House, Park and gardens. It's free to walk around in the park, visit the garden centre and café, excellent souvenir shop and Orangerie restaurant- you have to pay to visit the house and gardens.

And then you just must have lunch or cream tea at the George Inn on your way back to Stamford- which has not changed in centuries.

In Oakham there is a wonderful independent tea-shop/lunch place with a lovely garden right behind the Church.