Gransnet forums

Sport

Scintillating sporting moments

(7 Posts)
GandTea Tue 28-Jun-16 21:38:35

What is your most scintillating sporting moment ?

Today we met a friend that runs a carpet business. The conversation over coffee turned to football and darts. He went on to tell us how exited he got when one of his carpet fitters entered the National Carpet Fitter of the Year Competition. WOW we said, missed that on Sky Sport (went right over his head) he ploughed on telling how different technique could make the difference between winning and coming second. Things like holding the nails in your teeth and spitting them into place to save precious seconds.

His man only came second, he was convinced that the judges were got at!

I must say we were enthralled and are planning a coach to this years event. Non of our P.... Taking could deter his enthusiasm.

Just in case you fancy going here are the details of this years event.

www.nicfltd.org.uk/News/Call-for-entries-for-re-launched-Carpet-Fitter-of-the-Year-2016-Competition/

ninathenana Wed 29-Jun-16 09:05:52

grin grin

hildajenniJ Wed 29-Jun-16 09:14:52

I've got the carpet fitters coming in a few minutes, I'll ask them if they are attending. grin

Teetime Wed 29-Jun-16 09:16:08

Its amazing what strange things can be made into a competition isn't it- carpet laying!!!

My most scintillating sporting moment for me was seeing my GS bowling for the first time when he was about 8 - he looked so professional - now at 12 he is developing into a very useful bowler for his cricket club.

hildajenniJ Wed 29-Jun-16 10:54:50

Oh, bowling. ? I thought you were talking about lawn bowls for a minute. My DS won the inaugural under fifteen competition and was allowed to keep the trophy at our local club.

Greyduster Wed 29-Jun-16 11:37:47

Wow! I worked for a carpet fitting firm for years and never knew there was such a competition! Must have been before my time. Holding nails in your teeth and spitting them into place hmm...... not sure what our feisty Irish foreman would have made of that when his guys were fitting carpets in the Duchess of Devonshire's dining room! As you say, riveting stuff!

ninathenana Wed 29-Jun-16 13:10:45

D went to tumble tots from the age of 3 and carried on gymnastics until she was 7 or 8 she got a tiny cup at 5 for the most points in the badge awards.