Gransnet forums

Sport

I hate Wimbledon

(77 Posts)
vampirequeen Wed 05-Jul-17 12:22:35

There I've said it. No pussyfooting about because it's a British tradition. No pretending. In fact I'll shout it. I HATE WIMBLEDON!!!

It takes over everything for two weeks. TV programmes are moved or cancelled and some parts of the BBC morning news programme comes from there even though it's not open at that time. They simply film in front of empty tennis courts or the massive queue.

Everyone seems to be fascinated by it. The media have a field day. I can understand people wanting reports of the matches but who cares if some female player is wearing a pink bra?

We have so many TV channels these days why can't it be shown on one of those rather than mainstream BBC1. BBC4 is off air until 7 in the evening. Why can't it be shown on that?

Tizliz Thu 06-Jul-17 12:21:13

I quite like tennis but I don't think it should be on BBC 1 and 2 at the same time. Bbc4 is a good idea.

People who get free tickets never appreciate them. When we lived in Milton Keynes we went to the bbc recordings at The Stables. It started off free, you just had to apply, but there were so many empty seats - often the best ones. They then started to charge £10 and every seat was filled.

Caro1954 Thu 06-Jul-17 12:15:23

What are sports haters missing when the rest of us are wallowing?

Dharmacat Thu 06-Jul-17 12:09:23

Don't watch sport and, like many others, do not appreciate hours and hours of prime time viewing given over to whichever tournament is current. Tennis, cricket, soccer, rugby, darts, snooker, motor racing , cycling - the list is endless. My vote is for a separate channel - BBC 4 appears ideal.
I am not a TV addict but do appreciate some regular series.

quizqueen Thu 06-Jul-17 12:06:07

I find most sports boring to watch unless it's the Olympics and Team GB has a good chance of a medal.

Caro1954 Thu 06-Jul-17 11:55:21

LOVE it. And rugby. And golf. But sorry for those who don't like sport. The BBC4 idea sounds a good one.

Samantafg Thu 06-Jul-17 11:44:42

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 06-Jul-17 11:40:01

I neither love it or hate it. I don't go out of my way to watch it but sometimes I'll watch a game whilst doing something else (reading or sewing) if I remember if one or 'our chaps' is playing.
At least it's a bit more relevant now that British players are more successful. All those years ago with Tim Henman and the inevitable, "Oh well, maybe next year" dented the enthusiasm somewhat.

kathyd Thu 06-Jul-17 11:35:56

I can't do much because of a broken shoulder but at least I had the French Open and Wimbledon to entertain distract me.

nipsmum Thu 06-Jul-17 11:27:53

Thank goodness we are all different. As vampirequeen says there are plenty of other channels to watch if you don't like tennis. I will watch some of it but I'm not tied to the TV. If the weather is good I'll be out and about and if it's not, here are always other things to keep me occupied.

kathyd Thu 06-Jul-17 11:14:27

maddy Me too, and her younger son and her daughter in law as well. I do have time for Jamie though.

hulahoop Thu 06-Jul-17 10:58:03

I understand people like it I don't but it's like football everything gets taken off for it there are enough channels I'm sure to keep it on one then everyone would be happy ?

maddy629 Thu 06-Jul-17 10:50:22

ninathenanna at last somebody else who isn't a fan of Judy Murray, she gets up my nose too.

maddy629 Thu 06-Jul-17 10:46:37

vampirequeen I could not agree more, I hate Wimbledon, I'm sure that tennis lovers are in the minority,so why do the majority of viewers have to endure it? All of my favourite afternoon and early evening programmes are cancelled. My husband loves it but if I have to listen to another woman player grunting, groaning, screaming or moaning I swear I will throw something at the TV screen.It's worse than the labour ward at our local maternity hospital. As you pointed out it's even on BBC Breakfast when there isn't even anyone playing, do we really have to have the weather news reported from center court. Roll on the week after next when it should all be over, I say should because if the weather turns bad we may have to endure another few days of it.

scrapgran Thu 06-Jul-17 10:44:22

I LOVE LOVE Wimbledon - go into purdah for the 2 weeks it is on. Went to Queens this year and had agreat time. Never been to "proper" Wimbledon but went to the Olympic tennis which was much cheaper and had a great day

kathyd Thu 06-Jul-17 10:40:42

Love it. Just hope Murray doesn't win. Unless it's Jamie in the doubles.

Legs55 Thu 06-Jul-17 10:37:23

I'm another one who won't be watching Wimbledon, maybe have it on if Murray gets to the Final or one of the British women does well. Not a fan of sport on tv, golf & cricket bore me rigid, only watch my team on Match of the Day especially as they're back in the Premiership (if they lose I probably won't bothergrin).

I hate the way they "muck about" with the schedules for Tennis (although I don't watch BBBC 1 or 2 during the day), hate it when they move programmes for Football matches especially when it involves foreign teams.

Thank goodness as a widow I can watch what I likegrin

Royal Ascot is a different matter, the fashions not to forget the horse racing, I love horse racing but that's only 4 days on ITV

Musicelf Thu 06-Jul-17 10:21:46

In my youth I loved it, and remember a school trip to Wimbledon. I saw lots of tennis champions and even managed to get into the Centre Court (standing room only) to watch Newcombe. Later I loved watching Borg, but as I've got older it bores me rigid. It's all about power and strength, it seems, and not so entertaining to watch.

Mind you, I hate watching any sport. My Dad was an international sportsman and sport ruled our lives. Watching cricket and being bored to death was part of my childhood.

sue01 Thu 06-Jul-17 10:08:43

Love it. Likewise cricket. Cannot imagine an English Summer without it.

Maggiemaybe Thu 06-Jul-17 08:53:45

I can't say I hate it, but I just have no interest at all. And that's the case for any sport apart from the Olympics, which I love, and any amateur sport my family might be involved in, as I'd always turn out to support them, come rain, shine or deadly boredom!

vampirequeen Thu 06-Jul-17 08:25:53

Not Glenda Jackson. Dad said she was 'some blonde woman' grin. Neither Mam nor Dad were very good at celebrity spotting. One year they went on holiday to France and met a very nice chap with a wife who, as Mam said, 'was so pretty she looked like a model'. At the end of the week the couple left then other holiday makers told them that the man was a well known actor. Dad met a lot of people in his job and had assumed that the man was so friendly because he'd met him somewhere already. I reckon it was such a relief for him to meet people who didn't have the faintest idea who he was so treat him like an ordinary person.

Eloethan Thu 06-Jul-17 00:17:10

I'm not interested in any sport on TV but generally there are things to watch on other channels, though I do agree that it's annoying when sport displaces regular favourites.

I used to watch the tennis years ago but it seems rather dull to me now.

Sar53 Wed 05-Jul-17 20:57:04

I love Wimbledon, have done so since I was at 11 and started playing at school. I have been lucky enough to go and watch a couple of times. It is only for two weeks a year !!

durhamjen Wed 05-Jul-17 20:43:33

Wasn't Glenda Jackson, was it, Vampirequeen?

Greyduster Wed 05-Jul-17 20:37:02

I'm another who won't watch Wimbledon - I used to prior to all the grunting and squealing, although I've never been a big tennis fan. Not a game I could ever get to grips with. A girl in our office used to book the same fortnight's leave every year so that she could sit in front of the tv. DD and SiL have been given corporate tickets for the men's semi final this year. They're very excited.

Nannylovesshopping Wed 05-Jul-17 20:13:50

Love love love Wimbledon!!! Come on Andy!!!