Gransnet forums

Sport

I hate Wimbledon

(76 Posts)
vampirequeen Wed 05-Jul-17 12:22:35

There I've said it. No pussyfooting about because it's a British tradition. No pretending. In fact I'll shout it. I HATE WIMBLEDON!!!

It takes over everything for two weeks. TV programmes are moved or cancelled and some parts of the BBC morning news programme comes from there even though it's not open at that time. They simply film in front of empty tennis courts or the massive queue.

Everyone seems to be fascinated by it. The media have a field day. I can understand people wanting reports of the matches but who cares if some female player is wearing a pink bra?

We have so many TV channels these days why can't it be shown on one of those rather than mainstream BBC1. BBC4 is off air until 7 in the evening. Why can't it be shown on that?

Chewbacca Wed 05-Jul-17 12:28:28

Me too! Can't understand what all the fuss is about. Man holds a bat. Hits a ball. Other man holds a bat. Hits the ball. And on and on and on.........like watching paint dry. And I agree with you vampire , why does every tv channel have to be saturated with it?

Anniebach Wed 05-Jul-17 12:31:45

I love Wimbledon, as do many in the country , two weeks in a year is a little time, think of football and the World Cup

Charleygirl Wed 05-Jul-17 12:32:53

I love it- I get fed up when football matches showing two foreign countries is aired at peak TV viewing. I am not a fan of rugby either but I do love athletics.

Anniebach Wed 05-Jul-17 12:33:59

I watch rugby for the six nations ?

yggdrasil Wed 05-Jul-17 12:34:34

VQ I couldn't agree with you more. And then there is football, and cricket. I don't mind the Olympics which are only once every 4 years, although I don't watch them either. But the BBC really should have a dedicated sports channel so we don't have to watch.
I am catching up with a lot of reading though :-)

ninathenana Wed 05-Jul-17 12:36:00

I wouldn't say I hate it but it is one HUGE bore as far as I'm concerned and I agree with all you say vq
A certain mother of two sons really gets up my nose. Why is she in the limelight ?
Oh what the heck......... I HATE WIMBLEDON grin

merlotgran Wed 05-Jul-17 12:37:45

Agree about the foreign football matches, Charleygirl. How very dare they?? grin

Christinefrance Wed 05-Jul-17 12:38:37

Me too yggdrasil had to order another parcel of books from Amazon to cope. I agree about the sports channel , not everyone is into sport. Why is Wimbledon on BBC 1 & 2 ?

goldengirl Wed 05-Jul-17 12:40:50

I like to watch it if I can but I also don't take kindly to programmes being switched about or postponed. Not EVERYONE likes sport after all

Anniebach Wed 05-Jul-17 12:43:48

Because that certain mother coached her sons,both world No 1's, does a lot to involve more young people in the game, is a tennis coach and feels strongly about women's roles in what has always been a male dominated sport , she wants more women coaches and women to have a stronger voice in the game

Alima Wed 05-Jul-17 12:48:02

I don't like watching Wimbledon nowadays. Used to like it before it turned professional and that was a long time ago. It doesn't bother me that BBC1 and 2 do blanket coverage as there is b...er all else on at this time of year anyway. Don't do daytime TV either. Good excuse to spend time in the garden or find a cool spot to read. Many people love Wimbledon and there would probably be an uprising if they stuck it on pay per view.

devongirl Wed 05-Jul-17 13:03:37

alima Wibledon on pay per view?! Quelle horreure!! Best 2 weeks of the year for me except no Casualty sad sad

Jane10 Wed 05-Jul-17 13:32:07

God! Wimblebore!

Luckygirl Wed 05-Jul-17 13:35:30

I love it! It is the only sport that I watch.

Auntieflo Wed 05-Jul-17 13:56:06

Thank you all Wimbledon haters, I had thought to post the same , but thought I would be shot down in flames.

NanaandGrampy Wed 05-Jul-17 14:03:58

Isn't it time there was a terrestrial channel for sport ?

I'm a Wimbledon hater too :-))

gillybob Wed 05-Jul-17 14:08:17

Give me football any day mind you I am a common Geordie VQ Wimbledon always seems so bloomin' snotty to me anyway . And don't get me started in this £35,000 for showing up and hitting one ball !

M0nica Wed 05-Jul-17 14:35:58

Only one thing worse - cricket matches. Actually, I loathe watching sport on television, any sport.

vampirequeen Wed 05-Jul-17 14:40:36

I don't want it to go pay for view but I don't see why they can't shove it on BBC4 which doesn't have any daytime programming.

My dad was given corporate tickets one year. He hated sport of any kind but knew my mam would be dead chuffed so they went. Mam loved the tennis but was so upset by all the empty seats as most people didn't leave the corporate hospitality tent whilst real tennis fans couldn't get in to watch the match. Then dad got into trouble with some of the other men for monopolising a famous actress when they all wanted to talk to her. He had to ask them to point her out because he had no idea who they were talking about. He'd thought he knew her face because he's met her at a meeting with an oil company or the Milk Marketing Board especially as she seemed to be so well informed about political issues. Dad didn't keep up with celebrity even in the days when they did something to earn it grin

LadyGracie Wed 05-Jul-17 15:02:52

I don't watch Wimbledon, I did watch it years ago, to he honest I can't stand the noise that some players feel obliged to make.

ginny Wed 05-Jul-17 16:28:43

Lovely for those who enjoy it. Not me, shan't watch any of it.

TerriBull Wed 05-Jul-17 16:37:32

I don't like it and it's just a few miles up the road from me, I did go once in my younger years when a friend somehow or other got some tickets, I think her brother was a ball boy. It was so long ago the big names were Stan Smith and Nastase. I don't really like watching any sport unlike my other half. Each to their own.

Stansgran Wed 05-Jul-17 16:50:31

It's the grunting and screaming. Reminds me of the time I stayed on holiday next to an abattoir.

Chewbacca Wed 05-Jul-17 16:58:36

grin Stansgran