Gransnet forums

Sport

The Boat Race - who cares anymore?

(73 Posts)
maryeliza54 Sun 07-Apr-19 09:53:45

Whatever has happened to the Boat Race over time? It used to be a bit of fun between undergraduates.

MawB Sat 30-Nov-19 11:02:43

Reported shock yawn

tommyehall Sat 30-Nov-19 10:59:05

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

GabriellaG54 Tue 30-Apr-19 18:36:19

I love watching all sports but mostly rowing, swimming/diving, triathlons, athletics, racing, show-jumping, cycling and only the men's finals at Wimbledon

Grandma70s Mon 08-Apr-19 12:12:34

I was always aware of the Boat Race, from long before I saw any television coverage. It was just one of those traditional events that was discussed.

I have never seen the point of supporting a particular side in anything, but my younger son went to Cambridge, so I tend to favour them. My son rowed for his college when he was there - not to Boat Race level - but has never done any rowing since. I’m quite surprised he did it. It’s extremely hard work, and he had to get up very early to train.

grumppa Mon 08-Apr-19 11:33:36

I thought the BBC coverage of Cracknell was completely OTT.

Callistemon Mon 08-Apr-19 10:20:47

I think the men's teams have had female coxes in the past - as long as they're not rowing that seems to be acceptable.

In 1981 the Oxford team had the first female cox, Sue Brown.

The BBC seems to have turned it into Cracknell's Race which is a shame for all the others in the crews.

HannahLoisLuke Mon 08-Apr-19 10:04:03

Happysexagenarian, Henley Royal Regatta still takes place every July. It's a bit corporate these days as are all these events, even Glastonbuy!!
I've been lucky enough to go a few times and even been invited to the Stewards Enclosure. It's a wonderful event if you enjoy rowing and if the sun shines even more enjoyable, sitting in a deckchair on the riverbank right on the finish line with a glass of Pimms.

TwiceAsNice Mon 08-Apr-19 09:31:53

My DD1 went to Oxford and rowed whilst she was there. She was boat captain in her last year so obviously support Oxford. The men so nearly won I was disappointed to see two Cambridge wins. My SIL’s dad went to Cambridge so he doesn’t know who to support!

Tuppnce Mon 08-Apr-19 09:23:35

I wondered and then thought I might be overthinking it!

oldgimmer1 Mon 08-Apr-19 09:22:55

'tuppnce - maybe in the spirit of the times the cox is self-identifying? wink

Tuppnce Mon 08-Apr-19 09:18:34

Call me naive (or thick) , but can somebody please tell me how the Cambridge Women’s boat had a male cox?

Eloethan Mon 08-Apr-19 09:14:18

When I was little I used to go with my Mum and Dad to Putney Bridge to watch the boat race. I'm not a great fan of any sports and I think the boat race is particularly tedious so I don't watch it now.

I agree with Bluebelle though that it's better than watching poor horses getting injured.

I can't see what's wrong with older people engaging in any sporting or other activity provided they are still capable. I am not a fan of Mick Jagger or (most of) the Stones' music but why should he not carry on performing into old age? Lots of people, the young and relatively young included, have had heart problems and we don't expect them to give up on life.

Riverwalk Mon 08-Apr-19 08:02:12

Its also great to see healthy girls enjoying their sport.

Good point Emily - all we seem to see in the media are girls posing for selfies, twerking and even actresses on the red carpet posing, back to the camera with emphasis on their buttocks.

The race stretch is one of my regular riverwalks but won't be doing it today - far too dreary and damp!

jocork Mon 08-Apr-19 06:58:40

When I was married I took an interest as there was a friendly family rivalry. My FIL and BIL were Cambridge graduates and my ex and I went to Oxford. Since my divorce I take little interest.

EmilyHarburn Sun 07-Apr-19 16:22:20

I enjoy watching the boat race, especially now there is a women's race. My father, sister and husband went to Cambridge and so i back Cambridge. Its fun. Its also great to see healthy girls enjoying their sport.

Callistemon Sun 07-Apr-19 15:52:34

Definitely grumppa.

I owe a fiver.

nanaK54 Sun 07-Apr-19 15:49:39

Have thoroughly enjoyed watching this afternoon, a others have said it's part of our history

Valski Sun 07-Apr-19 15:49:05

I have an interested purely because I went to Cambridge and I prefer it immensely to the Grand National which I consider barbaric.

shysal Sun 07-Apr-19 15:43:31

I couldn't have put it better, grumppa!

grumppa Sun 07-Apr-19 15:41:30

Good race; wrong result.

Callistemon Sun 07-Apr-19 15:41:04

It's not the Boat Race, it's the BBC concentrating so much on Cracknell that could become irritating.
And all the chatter pre and post the race.
And asking the opinions of all and sundry

Sheilasue Sun 07-Apr-19 15:35:42

Just watched it, absolutely brilliant Cambridge, massive well done ladies and men.

HillyN Sun 07-Apr-19 15:32:15

I could have written your post too, Cornergran. Both my parents were from Oxford families and there was always a lot of excited shouting for 'our' team. I see we just lost. sad

NfkDumpling Sun 07-Apr-19 15:30:41

Yes!!!!!!

ayse Sun 07-Apr-19 15:27:44

I like watching it. It brings back happy memories of going to Mortlake to watch with my Dad when I was a teenager as we lived quite close. Grandad was a saddler for Mortlake brewery.