Gransnet forums

Sport

A move to ban Swing Low, Sweet Chariot. What are your thoughts rugby fans?

(33 Posts)
merlotgran Sat 20-Jun-20 21:01:16

The RFU is to review the song with a possible move to ban it from rugby matches.

Personally, I love to hear it being belted out along with other rugby anthems. Only two lines are sung and repeated as rousing support.

I'm beginning to think things are getting a bit silly and misguided.

Nightsky2 Sun 21-Jun-20 12:14:12

EMMF1984. Exactly. I can’t repeat on here what my DH and DS said. How could they prevent 75/80 thousand fans from singing it, it’s never going to happen.

Nightsky2 Sun 21-Jun-20 12:15:22

1948smile

Greyduster Sun 21-Jun-20 12:21:07

Oh that would be a shame - DH wants it played at his funeral; the version sung by Ladysmith Black Mambosa with the crowd roar in the background! What a lot of silly nonsense. Give it large, Twickenham!

Witzend Sun 21-Jun-20 12:25:09

Somewhere else this morning I’ve read that it was sung by Joan Baez in support of black people’s rights.

Anniebach Sun 21-Jun-20 12:37:40

It was sung by Joan Baez at the Woodstock Festival

merlotgran Sun 21-Jun-20 14:17:17

I sincerely hope it's fake news that Prince Harry is throwing his weight behind a review into the song because he is/was a patron of the RFU shock

He will have sung it many times himself in support of the English team.

paddyanne Sun 21-Jun-20 14:33:23

Oh dear*Ellan vannin* that in itself sounded more than a bit racist .This is NOT Blacks against Whites..its ANTI racists against racists ..Anti racists can be any race creed or colour .I dont think the UK is particulary "tolerant" especially so since the racists think they were given freedom to be very vocal about their views after their BREXIT win .
The incidences of racism on the streets have increased at an alarming rate with many people deciding to move their familes to safer places than the DIS united kingdom .Now of course its said Bojo will be trying to woo immigrants from the EU back ...good luck with that!!