Gransnet forums

Sport

A move to ban Swing Low, Sweet Chariot. What are your thoughts rugby fans?

(32 Posts)
25Avalon Sat 20-Jun-20 21:17:10

I didn’t know that merlotgran. I do know Hitler hated Jesse Owens the black athlete who beat everyone at the 1936 olympics.

MawB Sat 20-Jun-20 21:15:49

Why should singing it indicate any lack of respect?
It is a beautiful piece of music and, being written by a freed slave Wallace Willis, of the Native American Choctaw tribe from southeastern Oklahoma, surely commemorates the abolition of slavery. I think it is wrong to try to erase even the shameful aspects of history. We need to recognise , try to understand and learn from the past.
We’ll be banning “Amazing Grace“ next.

merlotgran Sat 20-Jun-20 21:09:46

That's what I mean about misguided, 25Avalon. Hitler and the Nazis were allegedly the last people to ban it. hmm

Kandinsky Sat 20-Jun-20 21:09:13

They’ll be nothing left to ban soon.

25Avalon Sat 20-Jun-20 21:05:26

Couldn’t agree more. It was written by a black slave and I think it is a beautiful song. I really don’t understand why it should be banned especially when it was sung to praise the black rugby player whose nickname was chariots of fire.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 20-Jun-20 21:04:37

I don't know what to think really. Apparently Martin Offiah has said that he sees no need to ban it, but perhaps just be aware of its origins.

merlotgran Sat 20-Jun-20 21:01:16

The RFU is to review the song with a possible move to ban it from rugby matches.

Personally, I love to hear it being belted out along with other rugby anthems. Only two lines are sung and repeated as rousing support.

I'm beginning to think things are getting a bit silly and misguided.