Gransnet forums

Sport

WEMBLEY and England v Italy *title edited by GNHQ at OP's request*

(162 Posts)
Bea65 Thu 24-Jun-21 13:41:55

How is this match going to be safe for the thousands that will attend...already know many people saying that they are travelling to London on Tuesday...we are going round in circles with the self isolation etc....I just despair when am abiding by the rules..

maddyone Sun 11-Jul-21 20:08:01

And they’re off, wow, what a beginning, a goal after two minutes. But there’s a long way to go yet. Fingers crossed ?

vegansrock Sun 11-Jul-21 14:48:44

I’m torn in that I’ve got Italian family members and love Italy. I’ve even got an Italian football shirt I bought there when they won the World Cup years ago and everyone was celebrating. It was a lovely atmosphere. I hope the best team wins and it’s a good game. ???????????

farview Sun 11-Jul-21 14:43:44

JenniferEccles ..I definitely wont fall asleep during the match..??..I'll be like a coiled spring!...everyone enjoy yourselves....????????its coming home????????

Jaxjacky Sun 11-Jul-21 14:37:03

I have found my mask useful to deploy over my eyes in my local as I don’t have a cushion there. I’m hoping it won’t be needed much tonight, just over the lower two thirds of my face as normal! ?????????????????????

lemongrove Sun 11-Jul-21 13:50:33

I final with two really worthy teams...but will be hard to watch!
If we win, then great, if not well done to the team for getting so far and giving England a little lift, just when we needed it.
???????????????????????????????????

lavenderzen Sun 11-Jul-21 13:12:28

Please, please "Bring It Home". Good luck Gareth and the Team.

Mollygo Sun 11-Jul-21 13:04:49

Thanks for your WHO post Lucca. gringringrin

Sparklefizz Sun 11-Jul-21 13:00:30

C'mon ENGLAND ! Whoop! Whoop!

MerylStreep Sun 11-Jul-21 12:54:15

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MayBee70 Sun 11-Jul-21 12:53:12

I wish it hadn’t been bigged (is that a proper word?)up quite so much as there seems very little expectation of England not winning and they’re up against a team that, throughout the tournament I never felt we could beat. I want them to win so much though. But may have to go for several walks again.

PippaZ Sun 11-Jul-21 12:47:00

Churchil Churchill

PippaZ Sun 11-Jul-21 12:46:11

Lucca

The WHO. Has issued a statement saying that the return to normality will only affect those who were normal in the first place. There has been a pandemic, not a miracle.

"Normal" is so different for different people. It's obvious from some of the comments on here that, had they been adults at the beginning of the war some would have expected it to be over in the second year. Well, of course, some did and Trump and Boris have mimicked the "over by Christmas" "over by Easter" comments of ignorant of the World Wars. Interestingly Churchil did not.

However, yelling at all who will listen that it's "so unfair!" (like a certain teenager) and "I want my freedom back", as if it was within anyone's gift to defeat the virus just by wanting to, is neither adult nor responsible. We had VE day when the enemy surrendered - after nearly six years of war. It seems to me that there was a far stronger, more reilient generation back then. We are far from the virus giving up, whatever stories some of the media make up.

JenniferEccles Sun 11-Jul-21 12:42:21

As long as you don’t fall asleep in front of the match tonight farview after all that busyness!!
Don’t overdo it ?

farview Sun 11-Jul-21 12:18:38

I love football and cannot wait for tonights big game...have not stopped doing jobs since 7a.m...keeping busy to make the time pass quickly...????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Bea65 Thu 08-Jul-21 11:56:20

From my initial viewpoint on this topic; have changed my mind ..if that's allowed?
Am pleased England are in the Final on Sunday and have Italian friends/neighbours who cannot wait for game..it should be an uplifting event and believe u have to prove you have had at least one jab..yes am sure the nos of infections will rise..
A majority of people are looking forward to this national event even if they 'hate' football and never watch it so Good Luck England⚽️

Yammy Thu 08-Jul-21 11:40:59

Alegrias1

Lin52

Why not, England are part of the UK last time I looked. For goodness sake.

You can't see the problem with one part of a political union, the largest and most dominant part of course, appropriating the anthem of the union and using it for themselves?

Really?

England hasn't got a national anthem of their own so they have to sing something or do they? God save the Queen was originally God save the king written for one of the German Georgies probably after the Union I haven't looked it up.The Scots had "Flowers of the forest", written for them maybe we should have one too then all four countries have their own.
I love to hear National Anthems sung especially by a group of young usually out of tune young men.
If we went back in History what would the Englisg choose", Jerusalem", or" Land of Hope and glory"'which were suggested at one time? Very jingoistic.
Once abroad in France in a very mixed company, an accordionist was playing tunes the audience were shouting out, Men of Harlech, Scotland the Brave, Danny Boy. The English were stuck. DH shouted John Peel and away the accordionist went, followed by Ilkley moor bar tat and many others. England has its regional songs but not one for the country.
I agree we should sing a song appropriate for our country.

Kate1949 Thu 08-Jul-21 11:31:00

He was Namsnanny

Namsnanny Thu 08-Jul-21 11:11:42

I bet he was grinning when he got home Kate1949 grin

23.01 MayBee70 I watched but I through my fingers most of the time.
What you say about GS having to build his life up again after the negative response, year after year, is a good comment.
Everyone keeps saying what a nice man he is.
He certainly seems well balanced when interviewed
Now calm before the next game.

Kate1949 Wed 07-Jul-21 23:21:21

Brilliant! I wonder where my husband is. He went to watch the match with some football mad family members and I haven't seen him since grin

maddyone Wed 07-Jul-21 23:14:23

Wow, what a game. The boys did good. Well done to them all.

Blossoming Wed 07-Jul-21 23:10:01

Gareth Southgate for President grin]

MayBee70 Wed 07-Jul-21 23:01:10

I went for a walk. Came back and there were 13 minutes left so I had to go for another walk. I usually do that when it’s a penalty shoot out but the nerves kicked in earlier this time. It’s great that kids can see someone like Southgate come back stronger from something bad happening to them when they were young: ok I know it was only missing a penalty but it was still pretty traumatic: even I can still remember it!

MerylStreep Wed 07-Jul-21 22:59:16

I hope that’ll shut up the fun sponges ?

Grannybags Wed 07-Jul-21 22:56:12

I'm exhausted now!

Callistemon Wed 07-Jul-21 22:54:47

Lucca

Callistemon

I had to watch the end of the men's quarter finals at Wimbledon first.
I do have my priorities!

And berettini is definitely top priority ?❤️

I had to sit in the kitchen but it was worth it!