Gransnet forums

Sport

OMG! England 2 : Germany 0

(80 Posts)
FannyCornforth Tue 29-Jun-21 18:46:54

So far!
I'm not a football fan, but this is exceptional.
I'm very pleased for all of those who enjoy this type of thing.
I hope that it gives us a bit of a boost.

Witzend Thu 01-Jul-21 12:55:17

tictacnana, I remember a game at Wimbledon time, so must have been the Euros, when a German tennis player was asked on live TV, how he thought Germany would do in the game against Croatia later that day.

He said, ‘Of course we’ll win, we’re Germany,’ or words to that effect.
Croatia thrashed them 5-0!
I will admit to a modicum of Schadenfreude - that good old German word.

DanniRae Thu 01-Jul-21 12:48:16

Bunny1

What a shame, never mind England will get beaten in the next game.

Well you're a cheerful little Bunny aren't you? hmm

Mollygo Thu 01-Jul-21 09:35:24

Bunny1

Could you explain?

Bunny1 Thu 01-Jul-21 07:59:54

coastalgran Wed 30-Jun-21 21:23:00

They did very well, this from a Scottish granny, now they face Ukraine who have nothing to lose and they are in Rome away from fans and home. I just hope they can hold it all together and go on further. I do like Gareth Southgate a quiet, serious manager who always wears his suit and treats it as a proper job.

Blinko Wed 30-Jun-21 20:02:47

NotTooOld

Oh thanks, Chardy and NotAGran. I had no idea. Seems rather weird, not to mention painful if the poor old draught excluder gets hit in the tummy by the ball!

Did you notice little Prince George sitting between his parents? It was only a quick glimpse but was the poor lad wearing a tie and a jacket? I know he's heir apparent x 3 and I would draw the line at him wearing football strip like some other kids but surely he could have been casually dressed? On the other hand, William and Kate were quite formally dressed as well, so perhaps George wanted to be like them.

I thought poor Prince George looked somewhere between mystified and terrified. His sister's got more bottle...

lilydily9 Wed 30-Jun-21 19:20:04

Remember 1966 so well and the win last night really has given the country a well deserved lift.

Elvis58 Wed 30-Jun-21 16:31:56

I cant stand football and cant wait for it to finish!!

GrammarGrandma Wed 30-Jun-21 16:29:00

Means nothing to me and I am fed up by the amount of airtime and newspaper coverage it is getting.

Anniebach Wed 30-Jun-21 16:21:10

I was so pleased for England but it’s still on the news this afternoon, now their showing 1966

chrissyh Wed 30-Jun-21 16:06:49

Here is a bit of trivia:
In 1966, England kept a clean sheet in their first four games of the World Cup.

At EURO2020, England have kept a clean sheet in their first four games of the tournament.

Patticake123 Wed 30-Jun-21 15:29:54

Well I think the football team did well and it’s good to see them win but the fans were a complete embarrassment to me, booing when the German National anthem was played is despicable behaviour and depicts England as a racist country.

Callistemon Wed 30-Jun-21 15:27:32

the stadium England fans were ecstatic but not even a smile on Williams face I think he forgot he is allowed to be pleased even if he is future King.

I saw him jump up, hands in theair and cheer.

Perhaps he was holding in his tears of relief!!

Callistemon Wed 30-Jun-21 15:26:09

Ngaio1

I can never understand why anyone becomes excited over a bunch of uncouth men kicking a ball around. Each to their own, I suppose.

Why are they uncouth exactly?

Parisgranny Wed 30-Jun-21 15:22:32

I was also shocked by the unsportsmanlike booing of German National Anthem

3nanny6 Wed 30-Jun-21 13:38:52

Thank-you for the links (MerylStreep) and I had a look the pictures are good.
I have to say that the pictures were probably showing when the goals were scored only when the goals were scored I was up off my chair and into the back garden shouting "Come on England" and cheering and my neighbours were doing the same and shouting back. We always have done this at good games and so got a bit carried away last night it almost made me forget my age.
The best bit of news since my GS was born 9 days ago.

Joesoap Wed 30-Jun-21 13:24:57

Well done England proud of you all look forward to the next match good luck guys

MerylStreep Wed 30-Jun-21 13:11:33

3nanny
Scroll down for a picture of William and family smiling.
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9739243/England-prepare-Saturday-quarter-final-against-Ukraine.html

GrannyGravy13 Wed 30-Jun-21 13:10:52

3nanny6 all the photos and clips that I have seen of Prince William and his family they were either cheering, hands in the air or smiling at each other.

eazybee Wed 30-Jun-21 13:09:49

I saw him laughing and applauding.
I have only watched four football matches in my life: World Cup 1966; a World Cup when I knew the current girlfriend of one of the players; a primary school match when they got through to the final, to be played at Wembley, and last night.
Well done, England.

3nanny6 Wed 30-Jun-21 13:03:08

Felt like it was right to watch the football last night and glad I
did. Kept singing the footballs coming home song but after the win we have still got another game on Saturday.
"Come on lads and Gareth give the country something to be cheerful about after 15 months of lockdown" You can do it.
A quick glance of Prince William at the end of the game when the cameras went on him, the stadium England fans were ecstatic but not even a smile on Williams face I think he forgot he is allowed to be pleased even if he is future King.

tictacnana Wed 30-Jun-21 12:44:33

On my 50th Birthday , 20 years ago, I seem to remember that we beat Germany 5- 0 or 5-1 . Was that a friendly ? Last night was a definite boost ! Well done, Gareth and the boys !

JanEllisWriter Wed 30-Jun-21 12:38:17

The shameful booing of the German anthem and their every touch of the ball spoiled it for me. Why do fans have to do that?

helgawills Wed 30-Jun-21 12:19:37

How can anybody justify being proud of anything they've had no hand (foot) in achieving? Ie Nationality, race, wins of teams...
And all the hatred and aggression? What is the point?

4allweknow Wed 30-Jun-21 11:44:56

To me the last time 1966 was the World Cup,not the Euros. Well done England but it's still overpaid men (in this instance) running about chasing a ball hoping to get a turn kicking it.