Gransnet forums

Sport

Grand Prix

(78 Posts)
Josianne Sat 11-Dec-21 14:12:14

With Max on pole tomorrow this is going to be an exciting race. I think Lewis and Mercedes might just win, but you never know.

Scottiebear Mon 13-Dec-21 13:43:58

We are Max supporters, so obviously happy with the result. It was a tough decision, which had to be made within a very short time period. It would have been a shame to finish it under the safety car. Also we have disagreed with several stewards decisions this season. Very inconsistent. And feel Max has suffered because of them. But depending who we are a fan of will obviously affect our opinions.

cc Mon 13-Dec-21 13:34:30

It has left a nasty taste in my mouth, I think that LH was 14 seconds ahead before the skullduggery, more than the normal winning margin between drivers. This result seems like formalised cheating.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 13-Dec-21 13:07:21

Did I say I didn’t admire hard work oliversnana? And don’t forget that Jensen Button’s father helped them financially. My husband is a fan of LH. I’m not. Not being a fan is allowed.

SillyNanny321 Mon 13-Dec-21 13:03:18

If Masi still has a job next season then expect more inane decisions! The instruction to let lapped cars by was given & a few seconds later the Safety car was coming in. Not in the regulations by a long way! Many of Maxs fans say he has been picked on all year but if you go over the facts, easy to google, then it is Lewis who has had more decisions against him & rules changed to slow down Mercs. This latest just another in the long line of stopping Lewis beating FIA’s hero Schumacher’s record being beaten by an ignorant Englishman! I followed Max until he became as arrogant as his father, Jos, who failed in F1! Red Bull are full of their own self importance & this race & Championship was gifted by FIA & Masi! I have followed F1 from its early days being well over 70 now & have not seen anything this derogatory to my sport apart from Schumachers behaviour! Sorry for the long winded rant but hate my sport being tainted by Red Bulls deep pockets, Masi & FIA growing bank balances! Shutting up now & going out to kick a few bricks!

Katie59 Mon 13-Dec-21 12:42:17

We see disputed results very frequently notably soccer where the referee makes a wrong decision, the result usually stands.
Michael Masi was the FIA referee, he got it very wrong and should go.

oliversnana Mon 13-Dec-21 11:58:41

Getmanshepherdmum Lewis's dad worked 3 jobs to get him where he is today whether your a supporter or not you have to admire their hard work. If you see him in real life as I have he encourages everyone to follow their dreams.
I agree Jax. Let's see next season who an drive as cars will have less gadgets.

tanith Mon 13-Dec-21 11:36:13

I’m really impressed how gracefully Lewis accepted defeat, I don’t know enough about the rules to call it but it’s left a bad taste in a lot of mouths about F1 rules and decisions.

libra10 Mon 13-Dec-21 11:32:15

Another Lewis Hamilton fan here, though I don't agree with some of his campaigning. Keep politics out of sport!

Adil Ray expressed a comparable analogy. If a football team was winning 5 - nil, and something happened to stop the game. When restarted, it was decided that the winner would be the team who scored the first goal.

Totally incomprehensible decision!

Ashcombe Mon 13-Dec-21 11:31:22

My DH and I have always been huge fans of Lewis for many of the reasons already mentioned. After the race, his father, Anthony, made a point of congratulating Verstappen. I cannot imagine Verstappen, Snr., displaying the same degree of magnanimity, had the situation been reversed.

Juicylucy Mon 13-Dec-21 11:21:03

The race was won in the boardroom not on the race track. I don’t want Lewis to win the title this way, I just want justice for him because if it had been the other way round Horner would have lost his s##t. Masi needs to sort it out or go. Fuming LH fan here.

Paperbackwriter Mon 13-Dec-21 11:15:56

Germanshepherdsmum

I just can’t support Hamilton with his jewellery and fancy hairstyles.

You are prejudiced about Lewis Hamilton's hair style? Wow!

Kalu Sun 12-Dec-21 18:46:48

What a wonderful result. So pleased for Max and Red Bull. ?

muse Sun 12-Dec-21 16:35:54

Had to let off some steam after that result. Mya, dog, has had an extra long walk and struggled to find the ball I was throwing!

I’ll catch up with the aftermath now.

Josianne Sun 12-Dec-21 16:28:41

Enter a barrister now on the case!

Josianne Sun 12-Dec-21 16:16:11

I've just spoken with my cousin's Dutch wife. Apparently BBC news readers get it wrong. It is definitely Verstappen and not Verschtappen!

Cabbie21 Sun 12-Dec-21 16:12:13

Delighted for Verstappen, after all these years of domination by LH. But it isn’t over yet, I am sure.
Ironically, I have just had an email from my choir, with an amendment to the rules( because of Covid) which gives the Committee power to amend the regulations without consultation with the members, in the case of dispute or emergency, for the good of the society. Seems like a similar situation to me.

Josianne Sun 12-Dec-21 16:03:30

I can't face a re run of the award ceremony!!!

Jaxjacky Sun 12-Dec-21 15:59:07

Mercedes have lodged a protest.

Lincslass Sun 12-Dec-21 15:57:10

Jaxjacky

For those who follow F1 he’s judged on his skill, not what he looks like Germanshepherdsmum.
A disgraceful decision at the end, irrespective of who was leading, Lewis was magnanimous in defeat.

He always is. Versteppen has acted like a spoilt brat throughout this. Hamilton is the better driver, he looks fab always, and does a huge amount for charity. Versteppen will never catch him however hard he tries.

Soroptimum Sun 12-Dec-21 15:52:57

Absolutely ridiculous! The FIA didn’t even stick to their own rule book. Barring the safety car, Lewis was winning. I can see this ending up in court. Not over by a long shot.

gillgran Sun 12-Dec-21 15:45:02

Urmstongran

Himself seems stressed when I peeped my head round the door. “The Safety car is out” apparently. The commentators seem as agitated as Himself.

Oh no! I’ve just heard him shout at the tv “they’ve FIDDLED it - you robbing ‘b......ds’.

HE IS FURIOUS. ?
Says it’s a disgrace.

Urms, My DH said almost exactly the same things..!!

We hear Toto is protesting, too.

George Russell just made a good comment,
(I do know he will be with Mercedes next season, also he's local(ish) to us. smile

gulligranny Sun 12-Dec-21 15:42:43

As I understand it, the Race Director has final control - and he clearly wanted to get a racing lap done so that the Championship wasn't decided by a rule book.

DH and I both think it was the right decision, and that Max Verstappen deserved the win. This season has been thrilling simply because it hasn't just been Lewis, Lewis, Lewis, and it's great to see younger drivers coming through. Can't wait to see how George Russell fares with a decent car and Lando Norris is doing really well at McLaren (my team of choice because DS works for them on the roadcar side!)

Josianne Sun 12-Dec-21 15:39:48

Germanshepherdsmum

I know EV and Jj I know. A lot of people haven’t forgiven him for referring to his home town as the slums.

Did he mean the dodgy part of town rather than the whole place? I've never been to Stevenage but I've just looked on rightmove! There's quite a few properties over £1/2 million.

Josianne Sun 12-Dec-21 15:34:34

Toto is probably stuck in the rule book now and instructing his lawyers.
I think the result should stand.

paddyann54 Sun 12-Dec-21 15:28:40

All the racers in this family think its the right man who won.My SIL is an official in motorsport and my husband and son both raced for years .As the race director said to Toto "we're racing cars" implying a finish behind the safety car is not a fitting end to a great season.Great last lap ,happy to see Max get a well deserved win