Gransnet forums

Sport

Grand Prix

(78 Posts)
Josianne Sat 11-Dec-21 14:12:14

With Max on pole tomorrow this is going to be an exciting race. I think Lewis and Mercedes might just win, but you never know.

Aveline Tue 14-Dec-21 15:07:54

Hearing all the hype about the Grand Prix reminded me to look up the recording of Peter Ustinov's 'Grand Prix of Gibraltar'. He does all the voices and engine noises. He was so talented and funny. If you'd like an aural treat look for this. I found it on Spotify but I expect it's in YouTube too.
I listened to it on my boring walk today and just seemed to speed round with a huge smile and various guffaws! Passers by looked worried.

Josianne Tue 14-Dec-21 10:44:55

Having a go?
Observations on her over exuberance maybe. She did encourage her husband to say a big thank you to all the wives and partners who put up with the team's long periods away from home.

Scottiebear Tue 14-Dec-21 10:03:57

I have no particular opinion on Geri. But it seems a bit unkind to have a go at her. It seems entirely reasonable that she would be with her husband on such a momentous occasion. And the press would have gone looking for them.

MayBee70 Mon 13-Dec-21 18:14:00

I used to love Formula 1 but lost interest a few years ago. It might have been when it switched channel and there were adverts. I remember being particularly fond of Montoya, and I did like Jensen Button.

Smileless2012 Mon 13-Dec-21 17:58:41

Oh I see Josianne.

Deedaa Mon 13-Dec-21 17:50:32

I adore Toto Wolff who reminds me very much of my late DH, but I do wonder whether he would have complained so much if Max hadn't managed to pass Louis.

There's nothing more depressing than a down to the wire season final that ends up with a procession behind the safety car. At least this was a properly exciting final lap.

Josianne Mon 13-Dec-21 17:50:04

Aw nice, hopefully the rescue dog will get a lot of pampering! I think Geri has gone all "country" set hasn't she, like riding horses and having chickens?

JaneJudge Mon 13-Dec-21 17:45:34

Josianne

Talking of Geri Halliwell Horner, she seemed very keen to get on camera yesterday?

she was also on the love of dogs, adopted a dog with issues from battersea

JaneJudge Mon 13-Dec-21 17:44:26

I know someone who knows his Mum and sisters, who are all apparently lovely.

I also know Stevenage well and I think given how nice the people are (generally) it was an unfair thing to say

Josianne Mon 13-Dec-21 17:39:07

They couldn't both be winners because I believe Max would come out on top anyway because he won one more race than Lewis.
But then that race was controversial because didn't they just go round 5 laps behind the safety car? So Max has has 2 questionable wins?

Smileless2012 Mon 13-Dec-21 17:24:56

I know virtually nothing about the rules and regulations but it does look as if you're right cc "that it "seems like formalised cheating".

I think it was the men's high jump at this years Olympic games that because it was too close to call, they were both given gold. Why in the circumstances, couldn't they have both been declared winners?

paddyann54 Mon 13-Dec-21 17:19:09

What does Masi being Australian have to do with anything?

Aveline Mon 13-Dec-21 16:53:18

Verstappen's 'win' is tainted. It'll always be looked back on as dodgy.
Lewis behaved immaculately.

Urmstongran Mon 13-Dec-21 15:55:17

Lots of ex-drivers are saying it was stolen from Hamilton now. To do that to LH was terrible. Himself says he will keep saying ‘Verstappen was gifted a title’ and says the Australian Masi must be removed. ‘He needs to be out of a job’.
?

Jenn53 Mon 13-Dec-21 15:45:28

I agree with you Lincslass! Max is the one who behaves like a toddler. He needs to grow up if he wants to be a respected F1 driver. Lewis has always behaved with restraint and a cool head, that is why he has won 7 F1 World champion titles!.

Jenn53 Mon 13-Dec-21 15:39:30

Lewis wuz robbed! I am gutted!!

Urmstongran Mon 13-Dec-21 15:34:19

Pushy, much?

Josianne Mon 13-Dec-21 15:27:09

Talking of Geri Halliwell Horner, she seemed very keen to get on camera yesterday?

Urmstongran Mon 13-Dec-21 15:22:07

Himself has just told me Mercedes are not taking this to court. Better not to taint the F1 as a whole.

That said, Himself think the result should be made void. No winner this year.

And as for Horner (Spice Girl Geri’s husband) I cannot repeat his opinion in polite society.

Josianne Mon 13-Dec-21 15:16:07

Are you sure you aren’t talking about Verstappen, who has been the most vocal, childishly so and the most dangerous driver throughout this.
And that is my worry Lincslass. Setting aside who won or didn't win, how are they going to get Max to drive less recklessly and less dangerously? Lewis can handle him because he is experienced and skilful, but what about Russell getting caught up in any dangerous driving?

MayBee70 Mon 13-Dec-21 15:10:11

I forgot it was on. But when I spoke to someone on the phone about it afterwards and they explained what had happened it was obvious that the wrong decision had been made. I’m pretty sure the result will be overturned, and I hope it is as it will set a precedent.

Lincslass Mon 13-Dec-21 15:07:39

marionk

I would happily support Hamilton all the way but for the way he behaves if he doesn’t win - it’s like watching a petulant toddler and he should be ashamed of himself.

Are you sure you aren’t talking about Verstappen, who has been the most vocal, childishly so and the most dangerous driver throughout this. Still he’ll never be as good as Lewis, who was magnanimous in the face of a cheat.

dayvidg Mon 13-Dec-21 14:50:02

What seems to have been ignored is that nearly every time a safety car is deployed, some drivers will gain an advantage and some will be penalised. I am 99% certain (can't quite recall at which races) that Lewis gained 15 - 20 points during the season, as a result of safety cars.
The 5 cars weren't allowed past the safety car at first, because Masi was waiting for the marshalls to leave the track. Once Latifi's car was removed, it was safe to let them pass the safety car and there was just enough time to restart the race.
With hindsight, maybe a red flag would have been a better decision, but once the safety car had been deployed, what transpired was probably the next best outcome. (in my opinion)

marionk Mon 13-Dec-21 14:26:24

I would happily support Hamilton all the way but for the way he behaves if he doesn’t win - it’s like watching a petulant toddler and he should be ashamed of himself.

Margiknot Mon 13-Dec-21 13:46:23

Both Max and Lewis are world class drivers- but that ending was a shock- for both sets of supporters! I can only assume that the decision to instruct the 5 lapped cars on the track between Lewis and Max to move out of the way, was a safety decision - to reduce the risk of a crash- but it effectively gave the red bulls an advantage. I suppose it balanced the decision not to penalise Lewis after he went off the track earlier in the race ( to avoid a crash with the red bull as it overtook -. ) I feel for the Mercedes team - but I think the result will have to stand.