Gransnet forums

Sport

Kamila Valieva allowed to compete

(38 Posts)
Mollygo Tue 15-Feb-22 21:50:25

A mockery of the drug rules or a fair decision?

Galaxy Tue 15-Feb-22 21:59:59

I think that everyone is missing the point to be honest, I dont mean you OP, it's just she's a child and if someone is supplying her drugs its child abuse in my eyes.

Callistemon21 Tue 15-Feb-22 22:05:43

Apparently a mix up with her Grandad's medication was the reason for her failed drugs test which was back in December. She failed because of a heart drug which was a banned substance.

If she has not failed a drugs test since then, it could well have been a mistake as claimed.

Galaxy Tue 15-Feb-22 22:08:13

Oh I didnt know that Callistemon I hope that is what happened.

Callistemon21 Tue 15-Feb-22 22:10:23

So it was reported (or claimed at least).

She is very talented and still so young to cope with such pressure.

Urmstongran Tue 15-Feb-22 22:12:34

What family do you know of that would get medicines between grandparents and their grandchildren mixed up? And at this super high level of sport?

This 15y old is surrounded by doctors and coaches. She will know the potential risk of any substance she swallows. It’s her professional duty to know.

But the adults around her are the boss.
Winning and glory etc.

She will do as she’s told. Child abuse or manipulation at the very least.

Mollygo Tue 15-Feb-22 23:02:32

Galaxy

I think that everyone is missing the point to be honest, I dont mean you OP, it's just she's a child and if someone is supplying her drugs its child abuse in my eyes.

Galaxy, There’s a lot of that going on.
I didn’t know where the drugs are said to have come from. I do feel for the other athletes who may well miss out on a medal and always remember the drugs. I think it’s a terrible shame that her obvious talent is overshadowed by this, but if it had been anyone else, would the rule have been waived in the same way.

Pepper59 Tue 15-Feb-22 23:49:01

What a surprise.......

luluaugust Wed 16-Feb-22 09:40:05

I see that if she wins she won't get a medal, she is 15 for goodness sake, maybe she should throw a teenage strop on the ice and she obviously needs protection from whoever is injecting her.

Sparklefizz Wed 16-Feb-22 09:41:50

This happened with the young Russian gymnasts back in the day.

varian Wed 16-Feb-22 10:36:13

The excuse "she accidently took her grandfather's medicine" sounds like it came from the same scriptwriter who provided us with "they were keen to visit the famous Salisbury Cathedral"

Whitewavemark2 Wed 16-Feb-22 10:43:44

Galaxy

Yes I agree. The children are exploited and abused from a very young age. I think that the Olympic committee need to a dress this problem urgently.

Even in this country our athletes are bullied and intensively trained at a very young age.

I think the whole spirit of the olympics has been lost.

Sarnia Wed 16-Feb-22 10:54:54

I would have preferred to see the IOC make the decision not to let her compete in these Olympics. It gives the wrong message to athletes at a time when sport is trying to clean up its image regarding illicit substances. She is an exceptional skater and at 15 has years in front of her to win more medals. I can't help feeling that Kamila is a pawn in all this. She would be devastated not to be allowed to skate but it is not fair to the other skaters, particularly those who win a medal but will not have the honour of standing on the podium to receive it. Australia made a mess of the Djokovic case and the IOC have made a mess of this.

maddyone Wed 16-Feb-22 11:06:41

varian

The excuse "she accidently took her grandfather's medicine" sounds like it came from the same scriptwriter who provided us with "they were keen to visit the famous Salisbury Cathedral"

Yes, it does.
At fifteen she knew she was taking or being injected with drugs. She should not have been allowed to compete.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 16-Feb-22 11:17:41

Russia has been banned from the Winter Olympics as they were the summer Olympics in Japan. They are competing under a made up name/organisation.

They are flouting Olympic rules by being/competing in China.

Makes a total mockery of drug rules/testing and must be thoroughly disheartening for all other clean competitors

GrannyGravy13 Wed 16-Feb-22 11:19:29

Russian athletes are competing under ROC, the Russian Olympic Committee.

maddyone Wed 16-Feb-22 11:26:13

Absolutely GrannyGravy. I don’t really understand why this was allowed.

Mollygo Wed 16-Feb-22 16:38:42

Not disputing her undoubted talent, would a banned drug help in the enormous effort required for doing quad jumps? What drugs do they give granddads in Russia?

Callistemon21 Wed 16-Feb-22 16:50:58

Mollygo

Not disputing her undoubted talent, would a banned drug help in the enormous effort required for doing quad jumps? What drugs do they give granddads in Russia?

She tested positive for traces of a heart drug.

International Testing Agency (ITA) confirming that she tested positive for the banned substance trimetazidine on Christmas Day

Trimetazidine, known as TMZ, is a drug used to treat angina and other heart-related conditions. It works by increasing blood flow to the heart and limiting rapid swings in blood pressure. ... This is illegal for athletes to use both in and out of competition as it can increase blood flow efficiency and improve endurance

I would think it is quite dangerous for a healthy 15 year old to use knowingly.

Galaxy Wed 16-Feb-22 17:13:54

They are now saying she tested positive for three substances.

Aveline Wed 16-Feb-22 17:20:40

The whole situation stinks. The Russian team should have been banned end of. This ridiculous made up name for them makes a mockery of the whole games.
That girl is an amazing skater but how much is natural is under question. The extra boost of those drugs makes so much energy available to her that isn't to the other competitors. It's a real shame for her. She's young to deal with all this and God knows what state her joints will be in by the time she's 20.

varian Wed 16-Feb-22 17:48:54

Kamila should be banned from this Olympics,

She will only be 19 when the next winter Olympics take place and if she, and the rest of the Russian team, stay drug free till then, she could have another chance at honestly competing for a medal.

NotSpaghetti Wed 16-Feb-22 18:00:32

Galaxy

They are now saying she tested positive for three substances.

And that her grandfather hasn't had the particular drug in question prescribed.

Galaxy Wed 16-Feb-22 18:02:17

How can they do this to a child.

maddyone Wed 16-Feb-22 18:54:41

Galaxy

How can they do this to a child.

Yes indeed. It’s abuse in my opinion.