Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Will *all* my hair be white?

(24 Posts)
wondering Thu 11-Aug-11 03:30:29

Right now at 39 (almost 40) my hair has a few white hairs ....I am still at the pulling them out stage.My hair is very long and I can find them underneath!

All of them are white,when I bunch them altogether(about 10) they are a blonde-whitesmile no silver.

If my hair was to just turn this colour, I don't think I would bother with dye at all... is it possible that all my 'greys' will be white?

Is it just a case of waiting it out?

Is your new hair colour typically something one could predict from previous natural hair colour?

I was born with red, it turned white blonde ....then red brown till now (since 7) grin

Thanks all smile

Baggy Thu 11-Aug-11 06:21:02

Hi ther, wondering. I started finding white hairs my long light brown hair when I was about thirty, usually in the underneath layers, especially at the temples. I'm now fifty-five and it's much the same only now some white is visible. I still have light brown hair but I now have some white in it. I've always liked my hair the way it is. Never dyed it and probablt never will. Most people think I'm younger than I am. My maternal grnadmother wnet completely white (from black) when she was forty. It was lovely.

Baggy Thu 11-Aug-11 06:22:22

And it's obviously too early in the morning for me to do a preview of typos! wink

shysal Thu 11-Aug-11 09:07:14

Aren't all our 'white' hairs the same colour, but look different against various background colours ? I am sure there is no such thing as a grey hair, only white.confused

jogginggirl Thu 11-Aug-11 09:15:57

Found first white hairs around the age of 25 - began to have it coloured and carried on until around 7 years ago. (60 this year). An accident prevented me from getting to normal hairdressers so I let it grow out - it's now completely white-blonde and I wonder why I bothered having it coloured all those years.confused

JessM Thu 11-Aug-11 09:42:20

I think loss of pigment is loss of pigment... but some people seem to grow a coarser and sometimes wavier version of their previous hair. I used to work with a chap who went white very young and complained that it had gone kind of wiry at the same time. Mine had faded into a kind of silvery colour and i have a few subtle blond highlights in it to warm it up a bit. Takes for blooming ever to have it done. Trouble is it hasn't done this at the back so option of going elegantly white all over not on.
I read the title of this thread and thought it was about "all" your hair as in the bits we can't see...

susiecb Thu 11-Aug-11 09:47:13

I saw the first grey hairs at 19 (I am very very dark) and have been having it coloured for the past tweNty years (am now 58) I would love to have a stylish grey coiffure but think I may be a bit badgeriSh. one day i am going to have it cut very short e.g. Judy dench and let it grow through if its doesnt look right I can always have it coloured again. defintely need to change make up to do this - I lean towards a poor (fAT)womans Jackie Collinssmile so would need to soften my colours.

greenmossgiel Thu 11-Aug-11 09:52:09

Ah yes...unfortunately it IS the bits we can't see as well!! However regarding the bits we CAN see, my hair is now white (I'm 61) It started going 'grey' in my late 30's but I always coloured it back to my normal light brown. Although it's white, at the back it's sort of still brown-ish! I've been told that it would cost a bit to have it done like that at the hairdressers! I have it more or less mid-length now, so it lies quite nicely!

jangly Thu 11-Aug-11 09:59:25

I started out with a grey that I didn't like at all. But now it is going a much nicer white. I want to be a light silver. Like my granny was.

jangly Thu 11-Aug-11 10:00:12

I don't mean "started out" "started out", of course.

ElseG Fri 12-Aug-11 08:01:32

My hair is the colour of salt and pepper and I would love it to be all White envy. I daren't dye it because We have a brand new bathroom and I always manage to drip stains everywhere; can't afford the hairdressers sad

HildaW Fri 12-Aug-11 18:23:31

Mine started going grey aged 35 and I hit it with expensive high/low lights for years but it was certainly getting slowly more and more grey with definate stonger streaks just at the front. Stopped colouring about 50 and now its more that 3 quarters grey and really quite smart enough as is but its definately nowhere near all white. My Mum sort of stayed at this level too, never really going 'all the way'. We are all different I feel and some go dramaticially all white by 40 whilst some retain good all-over colour for years and years. Its one of lifes little ways of making it all interesting! (Reading this back I realize I'm not very fluent today...am post migraine...they might not be as bad as they were 30 years ago but boy you do know you've had one still)

GoldenGran Fri 12-Aug-11 21:03:25

Mine started going in my early forties, and I only started colouring it when my Mother told me she thought my gray hair was so pretty! When my first husband left me eleven years ago, the whole section of hair on top of my head went white over night. I started having an all over colour after that. I have thought of leaving it but am not quite ready for that yet.

greenmossgiel Fri 12-Aug-11 21:04:44

I've picked up your post perfectly well, HildaW! Hope you soon feel better. smile

HildaW Mon 15-Aug-11 19:30:19

Greenmossgiel...................lots...............I dont get them so often now but even when the actual pain is not too bad it takes me a couple of days to shake off the 'hangover'.....thanks for the good wishes.

wondering Sat 20-Aug-11 22:17:52

Thank you ladies for your in-put...sorry for delay.

My Mum (70) has said she wishes she had never bothered to keep up with her natural brown,as she thinks those that didn't ,now have much better conditioned locks!

My husband thinks I shouldn't bother to colour/bleach ,and just keep it long and wavy (as it is now)

I just wish I had a crystal ball ...wink

Granny23 Sat 20-Aug-11 22:52:06

I was a blond child who went slowly mousey but have been a bleached blonde since I left school. Now have white roots at the front and dark roots at the back, so still use an under £5.00 home kit regularly. Hair is thick and in excellent condition although it has been bleached/dyed for 50 years now.

FlicketyB Sun 21-Aug-11 19:38:02

My natural hair colour is dark brown with copper highlights. I have always liked it and do not wish to lose it. Fortunately I come from a family that stay visibly their (dark) natural colour until well into their 70s. In my late 60s I am grey around my face but only started to go grey along my parting a couple of years ago. I use a cheap chainstore chemist colour several shades lighter than my natural colour as as ones complexion changes a really dark colour can be very aging. It has given me more copper highlights and I intend to keep colouring for the forseeable future. It only needs to be done every couple of months and takes less than 45 minutes. I spend more time and money having electrolysis on my facial hair - thats the downside to having thick dark hair.

wondering Mon 22-Aug-11 01:10:56

Flickety ,your hair sounds really prettysmile

My Grandma and G.Grandma both died with hardly a white hair on their heads,

both having had very dark brown hair...envy

Like I said, if it all went white I wouldn't care ...I just don't want salt n'pepper lol!

Its a waiting game I guess ...smile

faruk Tue 04-Nov-14 05:52:19

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

MiceElf Tue 04-Nov-14 06:23:59

Reported

loopylou Thu 06-Nov-14 13:38:28

I started going grey aged 20. Now 60 and happy as a 'Silver fox'. Spent years ( and several disasters such as meaning to go 'brunette' and ending up a blazing red.....) and a small fortune on colouring and highlights at hairdressers until 5 years ago. Now cut into a jaw length bob however problem is have very fine hair; have tried just about every style from very short to shoulder length, never been able to 'style' my hair so it looks good for more than an hour or so unfortunately. Any advice on managing fine grey hair would be very welcome!

Mishap Thu 06-Nov-14 16:24:25

When the OP said "all" hair I was expecting her to bemoan the fact that she had found a white pube!

TriciaF Thu 06-Nov-14 17:46:17

Mine is still mostly brownish ginger (pubes too blush) at 78.
Talking about white hair, Rod Liddle was on the politics show this pm and his hair was all white! I thought he was Boris Johnson at first.