Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Women who wear the trousers?

(110 Posts)
gracesmum Tue 05-Mar-13 22:03:08

I am beginning to wonder if skirts are on the way out except for formal occasions - weddings, dinner dances etc. Looking around I would say that most women of whatever age wear trousers - formal trousers, jeans, tweedy trousers, leggings/jeggings - but trousers
I have about 6 winter skirts I believe (got rid of a load last Autumn to the charity shop) but I have not worn even one of them for at least 2 winters.
Do you still wear skirts? If so, why and when? Or are we moving towards a fundamental change in womenswear?

Ana Wed 06-Mar-13 10:18:55

Nooo! No leggings or tights under either trousers or jeans! shock

Tegan Wed 06-Mar-13 10:22:16

What are skirts confused? I am currently a tad over my usual weight and none of my decent jeans fit me so have taken to wearing my old scruffy jeans most of the time wearing scruffy tops with them on a daily basis but teaming them with rather expensive tops for 'special' occasions. It probaly stems from the fact that my mutant feet can't wear shoes so, other than wearing a long skirt with boots I can't wear them in summer anyway. Mind you, I don't know what I'd do it M&S stopped making jeans, although I did see some in John Lewis that were 'specially for women' although didn't have time to check them out.

tanith Wed 06-Mar-13 10:24:30

I agree with Ana noooooooooooooo! tights or leggings under jeans or any kind of trouser, flesh coloured tights especially.
I've worn jeans on the coldest winter days and been perfectly warm enough with socks and boots.

BAnanas Wed 06-Mar-13 10:32:08

Definitely second Ana, leggings or tights under jeans just don't work. I have worn tights under jeans occasionally and they seem to work their way down, very uncomfortable. It's socks and ankle boots with jeans for me. Apropos of this thread putting it in my mind, I'm having one of my rare skirt days today, otherwise they just don't get worn I forget they are there!

soop Wed 06-Mar-13 10:35:26

Like purplen8 I love wearing skirts. I always choose mid-length and I suit Per Una's tartan trim-over-the-tum/hips with a gentle flutey-flair to the calf. I have both summer and winter styles. Opaque black tights and flats for winter. Bare legs and ballerinas for summer. The top needs to be just waist length. A beautiful scarf is a good accessory. The layered look can be very forgiving [of the podgier bits.] Around the house, I wear cropped pedal-pushers and warm, baggy tops. smile

gkal Wed 06-Mar-13 10:43:38

I have two lovely floaty linen summer skirts cut on the bias which I never wear as I don't feel I have the body or legs for them (always wary of looking like a ship in full sail!). Otherwise it's jeans and trousers. Training pants for late night dog walk. 7/8 length linen and cotton trousers for summer in white or pastels (keeps my ankles cool and covers up my veins!) preferably with a floaty semi-transparent cotton shirt which I hope disguises my rather broad proportions. Black or purple velvet trousers are my "posh" evening wear. I actually feel foolish in skirts, as I do in nighties. They no longer make any sense to me. I always wear pyjama bottoms and a t-shirt to bed. In my case I think this is due to having needed to struggle a lot during the past 20 years which has made me a bit militant, though not unfeminine I hope. I love Liberty florals, and have lots of those snug little cardies in many different colours from Landsend. I think I'll ask to be buried in my favourite blue jeans!

janthea Wed 06-Mar-13 12:09:14

I wear trouser suits for work and sometimes dresses and jackets. Very seldom wear skirts, although I do have some ankle length linen ones for the summer. When not at work, it's usually leggings or jeans.

Galen Wed 06-Mar-13 12:14:28

I think I've a pair of trousers somewhere in my wardrobe?hmm

Cagsy Wed 06-Mar-13 12:44:36

Definitely no tights (one of the reasons I hate wearing skirts) sox in the winter & sandals once the weather warms up a bit. Modern denim is soft & warm to the touch & what's more with a bit of stretch holds my tummy in, what's not to love - oh & I'm 5'2" and I think skirts look much better on taller, slimmer women.

Ariadne Wed 06-Mar-13 13:03:23

Tegan I love my boots, and I have two pairs of hush puppies. One pair is green suede, so a bit wintry, but the others are a sort of canvas Liberty print, and the are perfect summer wear. Just thought I'd tell you!

Mads Wed 06-Mar-13 15:40:45

I also ( like Purplen8) love my skirts, always knee length, pencil or flared with a nice top. Oh, and tights, coloured ones or black, whatever goes with an outfit. As for boots, I live in them all winter. Had a lot of things left over from working days and I still like to look smart.

j08 Wed 06-Mar-13 15:42:42

I wore a skirt to do the gardening yesterday (seeking vitamin D). Result: itchy, itchy legs! Some kind of allergy I think. hmm

Nelliemoser Wed 06-Mar-13 16:13:58

JO8 I dont know you other than by your posts, but I cannot imagine you as a skirt wearer. I doubt if you would wear twinsets with your skirts as well.

Its very irrational of me I know! wink

j08 Wed 06-Mar-13 16:28:38

It was an old skirt (could only just get it over hips!). I just wanted to get some sun on skin! grin

Gemmasue Wed 06-Mar-13 16:44:53

I wear trouser or jeans most of the time, but then living in the Lake District I would look pretty silly walking the fells and lakes wearing skirts and heels. When I lived in Cheshire I always wore skirts or dresses, and when I travel south I pack skirts and dresses so perhaps where one lives also has an influences on the way one dresses

numberplease Wed 06-Mar-13 16:59:37

I never wear trousers or jeans, in fact, I don`t possess any at all. The reason being that it wouldn`t be fair to inflict the sight of my thighs and backside in trousers onto the general public! I have loads of skirts, none of them straight skirts, I favour pleated or flared crinkle skirts, they don`t make me look any better, but at least I don`t feel as self conscious as I would in trousers.

inishowen Wed 06-Mar-13 17:16:21

I have worn trousers for a least ten years, as skirts look frumpy on me. The fashion for trousers is annoying though as my best feature is my legs! I might as well have chubby knees and thick ankles as they're never seen!

Grannyeggs Wed 06-Mar-13 17:18:18

flowersbAnanas

Anne58 Wed 06-Mar-13 17:54:10

I can confirm that Ariadne does indeed look stylish!

Marelli Wed 06-Mar-13 18:02:32

I wear jeans most of the time, I suppose shock! In the summer it's usually linen trousers, though. I do like skirts, but (and this is going to sound so silly), I never know what type of jacket to wear with skirts. confused

nanaej Wed 06-Mar-13 18:03:31

I am always tempted to buy skirts but I rarely end up wearing them as I am short (5'2") and only feel comfortable in a skirt when I put boots on. Now I am not working I have a collection of smarter outfits (trousers /dresses/jackets) that I rarely wear and seem to live in jeans of various shades of blue/grey/black. In summer I wear linen trousers.

I am on an eternal quest to find tops that make me look less than size 18.. my trousers are size 14!

I suppose the other answer is to lose weight!! hmm

NfkDumpling Wed 06-Mar-13 18:10:32

One jersey dress - quite long and three summer skirts for really hot days. Don't wear any of them very often.

Gally Wed 06-Mar-13 19:21:31

I have always hated skirts - far too uncomfortable round the waist and they tend to ride up but I completely surprised myself this week. It is so hot here in Oz that having stuck to my one pair of shorts/longs for the first few days, I was persuaded by DD to invest in a denim skirt which, wait for it, doesn't even reach my knees. I just think of it as shorts without the bit in between grin I think I'm converted but may just leave it here when I return home......!

Grannylin Wed 06-Mar-13 20:23:08

No,no,Gally don't! Just get your legs nice and suntanned and come back feeling ten years younger grin

nanaej Wed 06-Mar-13 21:12:05

I've kept my legs hidden for so long they have forgotten how to tan!