Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Women who wear the trousers?

(110 Posts)
gracesmum Tue 05-Mar-13 22:03:08

I am beginning to wonder if skirts are on the way out except for formal occasions - weddings, dinner dances etc. Looking around I would say that most women of whatever age wear trousers - formal trousers, jeans, tweedy trousers, leggings/jeggings - but trousers
I have about 6 winter skirts I believe (got rid of a load last Autumn to the charity shop) but I have not worn even one of them for at least 2 winters.
Do you still wear skirts? If so, why and when? Or are we moving towards a fundamental change in womenswear?

MaryXYX Wed 06-Mar-13 22:11:49

I wear a skirt every day, and all day except on the rare occasions I wear a party dress. I might have the confidence to wear trousers eventually but not just yet.

My recent observations suggest about one in five women in the High Street are wearing skirts, or somewhat fewer in the rain.

Ana Wed 06-Mar-13 22:19:51

Same here, nanaej - I don't think my legs would ever tan now....sad

Grannyknot Thu 07-Mar-13 18:24:15

I can't imagine not wearing skirts, I've got 2 straight stretch denim skirts (Florence and Fred, one is navy denim and the other aubergine - if that's a colour) that are an absolute stand by for work with a nice jumper and tights and calf length boots. Someone came scurrying up to me a while ago on my walk to the station to ask me where I bought my skirt so it must look good on me smile

In summer I like wearing mid-calf floaty floral skirts, panelled if I can find them or with a flat panel over the tummy teamed with a T shirt, and sandals. Love the skirt!

I'm equally as happy in leggings and a tunic. I seldom wear proper trousers, can't stand tight things around my waist.

whitewave Thu 07-Mar-13 21:56:33

Nothing like a nice floaty dress when it is very hot - feels much more pleasant in those important areas!!

whitewave Thu 07-Mar-13 22:00:59

We are lucky to have such a choice really, and I love some of the creative ideas people come up with in their clothing.

pinkprincess Thu 07-Mar-13 23:29:04

I am one of those mortals who feels the cold, I wear trousers or skirts in winter, always have thick coloured tights with skirts.
In the summer I only wear trousers if it is cold, I love skirts and dresses in warm weather.

dorsetpennt Fri 08-Mar-13 13:19:04

I have a number of nice dresses bought for weddings but I don't own a single skirt. The last time I wore one must be about 20 years ago. I don't really l;ike dresses either because of having to wear tights - which I find so uncomfortable and restricting. It's trousers for me.
I hate denim skirts, especially long ones , they are so unflattering even on the thinnest person. I hate long skirts on people they just look dowdy, long dresses yes but not skirts.

Grannyknot Fri 08-Mar-13 19:22:42

dorset my denims skirts are above the knee smile A long denim skirt is too "country cousin" for me :P

AmazonLady Fri 08-Mar-13 19:46:07

I love skirts, especially stretchy ones that fit to the knee,worn with thick tights,
and long flowing ones, I even wear them with my hiking boots...and summer frocks ( but not with the hiking boots!)

Mishap Fri 08-Mar-13 20:32:08

Jeans and linen trousers in summer. Never a skirt. Why? I HATE tights - they are the work of the devil! And I hate the sort of shoes that you have to wear with tights, as I would never wear sandals with tights.

tanith Fri 08-Mar-13 21:17:29

Doesn't anybody do as I do and go bare legged? I can't remember the last time I wore tights I hate them... so if I wear a skirt its bare legged, a couple of sunny days in the garden and my legs start to tan so no tights ever for me I'm either bare footed or sandaled in the Summer.

Grannyknot Fri 08-Mar-13 21:45:38

I do, Tanith. I am always bare legged in summer - and often bare of foot too - and if the tan is too slow in coming, a can of Summer Mist is subtly employed to aid matters.

tanith Fri 08-Mar-13 22:00:38

Good for you Grannyknot, mind I have friends who insist on wearing tights even on the hottest day , it looks so uncomfortable.

annodomini Fri 08-Mar-13 22:48:24

A relative of mine, many years ago, was living in a hot climate where her husband was involved in the oil industry. One day a visit from a minor royal was expected and all the ladies were desperately finding and struggling into sweaty nylons. All lined up to shake the royal hand, they were astonished to find that HRH had wisely arrived bare-legged.

Funnygran Sat 09-Mar-13 10:23:57

Having lived in trousers for years with baggy sweaters to cover the excess pounds(!) I've finally lost nearly 2 stone and am looking for a couple of decent skirts to wear with boots. Very difficult - I'm 64 and 5'3. There only seems to be two choices - short and skimpy or ankle length. Anything else is 'sensible' and I don't want to be too sensible just yet! Where do other grans buy their clothes?

FlicketyB Sat 09-Mar-13 13:54:35

Bought my two skirts in Monsoon and East respectively in the sales. Both sre A line, bcause that is the style that suits me best, both ethnic in style, with embroidery around the hem, both knee length, one worn with knee length boots the other with light grey lacy tights. I also have a dress that can be dressed up or down for special occasions, also ethnic in style (can you see a them here), mainly because I don't do elegant or LBDs but really cannot stand the mumsy drabness or cruise chattyness favoured by all those brochures falling out of newspapers and aimed at older women.

Funnygran Sat 09-Mar-13 15:12:42

Thanks for the suggestions FlicketyB - have both Monsoon and East in our out of town shopping centre. Sounds like a good excuse to have a day shopping! I did actually find one skirt on a sale rail in M&S but on the whole find they are pretty hopeless for woman above a certain age.

FlicketyB Sat 09-Mar-13 15:16:01

Funnygran, forget your age, buy what you like and what suits you. I am about hit 70 and the clothes I am wearing today come from Fat Face, Monsoon (that skirt) and New Look.

janeainsworth Sat 09-Mar-13 15:23:57

Agree with you Flickety - I'm wearing Fatface today too grin but your link doesn't work - can you do it again pleasesmile

FlicketyB Sat 09-Mar-13 15:36:57

JaneA, I didnt put a link into my message.

janeainsworth Sat 09-Mar-13 15:44:16

Oh blush
I thought this bit was a link
" also ethnic in style (can you see a them here),"
grin

FlicketyB Sat 09-Mar-13 15:55:12

No, it was just because ethnic was used to describe the dress as well as the skirts and I was trying to avoid keep repeating the same phrase, sorry it misled you. I tend to write and then post without properly proof reading.

Ana Sat 09-Mar-13 15:55:41

Think it should've been 'theme' Jane smile

Ana Sat 09-Mar-13 15:56:42

Sorry, Flickety, not correcting you, just sticking my oar in....blush

FlicketyB Sat 09-Mar-13 16:02:48

Ana, you are right, it is my lazy proof reading