Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

wrinkly neck!

(30 Posts)
chris999 Fri 14-Feb-14 13:53:20

Can anyone help? This is my first gransnet post! I'm 55, petite and like to keep up to date with fashion. I think I take quite good care of my skin, always cleansing and moisturizing, using mainly high street brands, with occasional use of more expensive makes. My face isn't too bad, though I've got quite wrinkly eyelids, crow's feet and number 11s. However, what is troubling me greatly is my neck! It looks terrible! The texture is poor, it's all loose skin, wrinkled, crepey. I have very dry, thin skin, but my neck seems to have aged much more rapidly than anywhere else. It's honestly worse than some 80 year olds. Reasons are: too much sun in my 20s, too extreme dieting in my 30s, plus genes. I'm off work just now and got more time to look in the mirror and get down about it. I do find it depressing and embarrassing. Can anyone recommend cream, treatments or exercises to help?

Grannyknot Fri 14-Feb-14 14:14:15

Welcome to GN Chris. Necks I think you'll find, are the bane of many a Gransnetters life. That, and thinning hair!

I can understand how you feel being "only" 55, I too hated my neck and that was all I could see every time I looked in the mirror, and having looked in to it, there isn't that much that can be done 're necks, short of a neck lift, which I think is pretty invasive and anyway I wasn't prepared to have surgery. There are treatments for tightening the skin on your neck, but I'm not sure about the sun damage. Now that I'm 65, I've made peace with my neck smile. I'm on holiday at the moment but when I get back to the UK I will PM you with some info.

chris999 Fri 14-Feb-14 14:24:24

Hey Grannyknot, ta for the welcome! Look forward to hearing from you. As you say, when you look in the mirror it's the only thing you see!

FlicketyB Fri 14-Feb-14 14:38:08

Lots and lots of moisteriser, any moisteriser massaged in for several minutes morning and evening will help

KatyK Fri 14-Feb-14 14:43:18

I agree with the above, moisturising etc (not that my neck is very wonderful). If you Google 'exercises for wrinkly neck' lots of sites/advice/exercise stuff comes up.

JessM Fri 14-Feb-14 15:37:15

Yes toning up facial muscles might help to lift the tendency of the skin to sag. But neck skin just aint the best most elastic skin on the body is it, no fat to plump it up. And it needs to be much more flexible than face skin because of the range of movement ... along with backs of hands

rosesarered Fri 14-Feb-14 20:38:43

Apart from moisturising, can't see there is anything you can do other than avoid low necklines and necklaces [which draw attention to it.]In Winter, have roll neck jumpers, and Summer, thin scarves or a high neckline.It comes to us all in the end.Or, you can say 'The Hell with it!' and not care what anyone [including yourself] thinks.

margaretm74 Fri 14-Feb-14 21:17:53

Always moisturise your neck at the same time as your face, and the exercises which involve grimacing and doing a sort of Wallace and Gromit thing with your mouth is supposed to help.

I thought my neck wasn't too bad (I am nearly 14 years older than you chris999) until DH made some comment about 'that bit that hangs down under your chin'.

I think a bit of extra weight does help actually - my DM used to say she thought it was 'either your face or your figure' when you got older.

I think I have got to the age where I don't really worry about it any more, just glad to be here.

Iam64 Sat 15-Feb-14 09:30:52

Yep - my dad always said old age wasn't much fun, but better than the alternative. Wrinkles, aching joints and muscles, dropping energy levels, got the lot - but I'm here and that's just wonderful (despite the weather)

glammanana Sat 15-Feb-14 13:30:12

chris999 I have always used a moisturising fash wash every morning followed by loads of moisturising cream brought right down to my neck and behind my ears and have found this works I will PM you the brand that I use,welcome to GN you will find all manner of good information here we know all sorts of good stuff grin

chris999 Sat 15-Feb-14 14:37:48

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for all your suggestions and to those of you who have sent private messages. Great response for my first posting! As you say, getting older is better than the alternative! Plus being pretty slim doesn't actually help with wrinkles. I've bought some essential oils (rosewood, neroli and frankincense) plus rediscovered an old book I bought (The New Facercise by C Maggio) Could be the answer! Keep you posted. Another important point is that I am off work just now, recuperating from an op, and have too much time on my hands. Normally, I'm so busy I have much less time to obsess over my looks! Thanks again, new chums!

Charleygirl Sat 15-Feb-14 14:38:29

Welcome chris999. I agree with the above. I moisturise my neck whenever I moisturise my face and I think that it has paid dividends. I also do not think that you need to spend money on the most expensive around. I use Oil of Olay and am 15 years older than you.

NanKate Sat 15-Feb-14 21:49:25

As well as moisturising Chris I always wear necklaces - the ones made up of many strands hide a multitude of wrinkles. Also I often wear a variety of lovely coloured scarves often made of velvet, they feel and look very luxurious. I buy the scarves and necklaces from charity shops so not too expensive at all.

Welcome to Gransnet, I think this site is just what you need to cheer yourself up. smile

Maggiemaybe Sun 16-Feb-14 10:51:39

And one of my friends has another saying that comes to the same thing really, margaretm74 . You widen or you wizen!

I don't think there's anything this side of surgery that will turn back the clock of sun damage, but anything's worth a try. At least there are plenty of attractive cover-ups for a less-than-perfect neck.

Welcome to Gransnet, chris999.

Mishap Sun 16-Feb-14 12:03:37

Learn to love your neck along with all the other signs of middle age and ageing! This is the only way forward or you will have a constant sense of dissatisfaction with yourself which is very unhealthy - loving yourself just as you are is what will put a smile on your face and no-one will notice your wrinkles or your neck if you are smiling.

Ana Sun 16-Feb-14 12:09:18

No, but they might notice your wonky or discoloured teeth...sad

kassi Sun 16-Feb-14 14:01:40

I too have an awful neck! When I was in my early 30s, I was very ill with chicken pox. So ill, I needed 3 months off work. I had 100s of spots all over my body, with dozens on my neck. I picked and scratched and couldn't leave them alone. Consequently, my neck was covered in chicken pox scars, which faded away a bit..... but then I became an extreme dieter for many years, and the scars seemed to stretch. As I have aged, (now 63) my neck looks like it is covered in stretch marks as well as the usual wrinkles and crepey skin. I'm constantly looking at other people's necks, and mine is the worst I have seen! Its worse than women 20 years older! I'm thinking about trying that Bio-Oil which I keep seeing advertised.

margaretm74 Sun 16-Feb-14 14:14:13

That's a good one maggie.

When MIL was in hospital many years ago she lost weight rapidly (same problem as today, didn't feel like eating when they brought the food so they took it away. She went from a fairly sturdy woman with beautiful skin for a woman of nearly 80 to a very thin woman over a matter of weeks ( we could only visit occasionally as we were hundreds of miles away). Her skin looked wrinkled very suddenly but was still soft. She never used any moisturiser at all, having been told as a young woman that it made facial hair grow.

She did like a lot of fat in her diet and I am wondering if this helped her skin, or if fish oils would help chris999?

janerowena Sun 16-Feb-14 14:29:37

My sister (who gives people non-surgical facelifts for a living, but has never demonstrated it to me!) must think my neck needs rescuing. She gave me a small hand-held massager thing that looks like a robot with three ball feet that rotate. It is still sitting in my in-tray staring at me reproachfully, three years later.

margaretm74 Sun 16-Feb-14 15:10:54

Every time I read a post on here I find myself grimacing and grinning widely and exercising facial muscles.

chris999 Sun 16-Feb-14 18:44:39

Thanks again everyone. Like your advice, Mishap...lucky to be here, wrinkles or not, and they're a fact of life.

margaretm74 Sun 16-Feb-14 20:05:06

I'm doing it again!

Maggiemaybe Mon 17-Feb-14 08:11:54

Ana grin

bikergran Mon 17-Feb-14 08:12:27

welcome chris999 smile

Mumseyme Mon 17-Feb-14 13:15:35

Chris have you tried Boots No 7 Hydration mask for dry skin? I put a thin layer on just after cleaning face and leave but don't wipe off. I then put a bit of their moisturiser on before makeup. Maybe a layer before you go to bed on neck under your night cream. The experts may say not the way but seems to suit me and I'm 66.

Ps. Doing my face and neck tightening as I speak ��
Pps. If you sing in the car, do exaggerated mouth movements but make sure no one is in car next to you or can see you in their rear-view mirror ��