Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Undies past their sell by date !

(49 Posts)
NanKate Wed 12-Mar-14 08:39:11

Just chuckled over this cartoon in the paper of two women chatting as follows:

'I finally bought some nice new underwear. I sent my other undies off to be carbon dated. The result shocked me to the core'.

I know I have got some prehistoric undies lurking upstairs, but they are comfy and just about wearable. wink

Charleygirl Wed 12-Mar-14 08:45:32

My mother used to say, "always wear your best as you never know when you will be knocked down in the street and taken to hospital!"

I also have old but comfortable underwear which I wear if I am having a day of housekeeping like today. The "housekeeping" being putting the washing machine on 2-3 times!!

rosesarered Wed 12-Mar-14 08:46:12

I don't have any old undies at all [smirk emoticon]. I like to keep things up to date and throw out anything that that now [sadly] doesn't fit, or I have had for a while.This is more to do with me wanting to wear things that fit properly than anything else.I also like to fold things neatly [not to OCD levels though.]I like buying new undies anyway so any excuse!

glammanana Wed 12-Mar-14 09:04:39

I also like to keep my "undies" drawer up to date but I can admit to having 5/6 pairs of what I call my comfy knickers the ones that go up to the tummy and fit nice and snuggly.When they are used and are washed they always go on the indoors clothes maiden as they would resemble barrage ballons if pegged outdoors to dry.

Elegran Wed 12-Mar-14 09:17:40

When I ended up in A & E and had my shoulder Xrayed I was wearing the bra with the threadbare lace trim and the extra ventilation holes in the lacy design. I was my favourite, very comfortable and still gave a good shape under my clothes.

I have since bought several nice new ones so I am now quite safe from having to be Xrayed again (until they wear out, that is)

Elegran Wed 12-Mar-14 09:18:14

It, not I.

annodomini Wed 12-Mar-14 10:10:19

I must have about twenty pairs of knickers in my drawer, even bought some new ones in Sainsbury's the other day. Why? Call it a compulsion. Many years ago, on my younger sister's wedding day, the youngest and I took one look at her underwear which was, to put it mildly, grey and baggy, and immediately dragged her out to buy some decent undies. We still have a go at her 46 years later!

KatyK Wed 12-Mar-14 10:22:30

I have 'best' underwear and 'wearing around the house' underwear. Not sure why I do this. I pay quite a lot for my bras, so I tend to wear old ones at home and keep the good ones nice, to save the pennies. I always put a good one on when I go out, even if it's just to the shops (in case I get run over grin ). Some of my knickers have seen better days but they also 'will do' for wearing at home. Sometimes I buy new ones and don't wear them for ages are they are 'too nice'. confused Behaviour dating back to childhood I think.

sunseeker Wed 12-Mar-14 10:38:48

I have a compulsion for buying knickers. I mentioned to a friend that when I go on holiday for 2 weeks I take about 30 pairs with me, she said she didn't own 30 pairs (and that's not even half of how many I have blush).

I do throw away any which look a bit grey or worn, although when I do I always put them in a carrier bag under a jumper or something since I saw the recycling men prancing around with a corset which someone had put in the recycling bin!!

rosesarered Wed 12-Mar-14 11:21:56

sunseeker grin

tanith Wed 12-Mar-14 11:22:29

Must admit I have many pairs of knickers, every day ones and 'best' ones. I had a clear out the other day of the tattiest about a dozen headed to the bin . I still have 40 odd pairs I like having plenty to choose from..

petallus Wed 12-Mar-14 12:03:19

Oh why do M & S knickers never wear out, just get greyer and lose their zing?

I always feel so guilty when I finally bung them in the bin and buy new ones.

Same with bras.

feetlebaum Wed 12-Mar-14 12:24:55

Much the same could be said of their staff, petallus. Not that some of them ever had much 'zing' to start with...

I thought it was only chaps, like moi, who hung onto their wretched underpinnings until the waist (hah!) band parted company completely with the rest of the garment.

janeainsworth Wed 12-Mar-14 15:51:40

I used to keep undies for years, well past the date when they had exceeded their elastic limit, had become uncomfortable and had gone an unpleasant colour.
Now though I think what's the point of wearing anything that isn't comfortable and/or you don't feel nice in.
My favourites are the Triumph Amourette range, they give good support, are comfy and look nice too. They might seem a bit expensive, but they last well and if you judge clothes on a cost per wear basis, thy're good value wink

rosequartz Wed 12-Mar-14 16:13:31

Mine are boring M&S but I have umpteen pairs and always take lots away with me (and always spare pairs and other undies when travelling long-haul, nice to change a couple or more times). A friend said she only takes a few pairs and keeps washing them out but I like to have a good stash.

Aka Wed 12-Mar-14 16:16:11

I can't find the 'sell buy' date on my undies. It appears to have faded in the wash.

felice Wed 12-Mar-14 16:25:47

On going into hospital 2 years ago for about 7/8 weeks a good way from home and not knowing about any laundry facilities I went with DD to C&A and bought 60 pairs of underpants, the expression on the young, male, assistants face as he checked them through the till was a picture.

inishowen Wed 12-Mar-14 16:28:56

I went to my GP and was unexpectantly sent for an ECG. I had to strip to my bra, which was one that had gone a funny pink colour, because the dye had run in the wash. I was mortified in that tatty old thing.

goldengirl Wed 12-Mar-14 16:36:53

I would love some pretty knickers but I don't like the prices so its plain and simple Sloggis for me though its time I splashed out in some new ones. I used to like Lands End knickers but they don't seem to offer them now in their catalogues.

Valbeasixties Wed 12-Mar-14 17:37:29

My mum used to wear her undies for years until the gusset of her knickers was bald. I vowed I would never do that as it is important to me to feel happy in what I am wearing as well as looking good for my husband. I go for a TKMaxx rummage every couple of months and pick up some fabulous pretty, yet comfy, bras and knickers very cheaply. I have just bought some great knickers by 'Marilyn' that fit like a skin and there is no VPL.

annodomini Wed 12-Mar-14 17:38:38

My rather sophisticated house mate's brother gave her a voucher for a very up-market West-end salon. She sailed up trying to look as if she belonged there and realised she was wearing her old, slightly holey, vest.

Grannyknot Wed 12-Mar-14 17:43:30

What an amusing thread smile

I have comfy "granny" cotton knickers for special occasions (like getting a good night's sleep grin, but I replace them on a regular basis.

My MIL used to walk around in the holiest of bras (they looked like a home grown version of something from Ann Summers) nd knickers where the elastic was completely shot, until we realised that was an early symptom of her descent into Alzheimers!

rockgran Wed 12-Mar-14 18:42:36

I buy cheap knickers and replace them quite often. The old ones I use for dusters. Bras, however, are difficult as I can't get my favourite ones any more and try to ration their use, but they are so comfy!

Gally Wed 12-Mar-14 19:38:13

Sloggies for me all the way, up to the waist and down over the bum wink. I have bought a few pairs of more frivolous undies but find them too uncomfortable : either they don't encompass both cheeks, or my spare tyre takes off over the waist band, or they slip around underneath whatever I am wearing on top. Total disaster really, so they are shoved at the back of the drawer waiting for a slimmer me to fit into them. As the Sloggies reach their point of no return, I chuck them in the bin, same with bras

Deedaa Wed 12-Mar-14 21:15:27

Hey feetle I used to work for M&S and I had plenty of zing! Rather too much for some of the customers actually hmm

My friends used to find it very amusing when I used to save my really nice underwear for visits to my very gorgeous doctor. Well you never know when you might have to strip off grin