Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

rights and wrongs of duvet covers?

(47 Posts)
willsandco Thu 13-Mar-14 20:16:26

My friend and I are having a friendly discussion about duvets. Is it right to have a top sheet under the duvet or just to let the duvet cover drape itself straight over you? Interesting? Any comments welcome!

storynanny Fri 14-Mar-14 15:53:12

No top sheet
I use the swiss roll method putting new cover after watching it on youtube

Culag Fri 14-Mar-14 15:23:11

Well, I use a top sheet, just tucked in the bottom. I have very limited drying space, so find it easier to wash. It's also good when I overheat, summer or winter. I can push the duvet away and still be covered.

HildaW Fri 14-Mar-14 14:36:40

Cannot see the point of a top sheet under the duvet cover myself but how one has one's bed is surely up to the individual themselves.....bet there are still a few out there who still have blankets and an eiderdown! Though I do hope that brushed nylon sheets (a particular favourite of my first MiL) have died the death.

janerowena Fri 14-Mar-14 14:35:38

That's a good idea, we will have to buy a new bed soon too.

Mamie Fri 14-Mar-14 14:28:54

Can certainly recommend having two duvets janerowena, it is much easier. We also have linked twin beds so one turning over doesn't disturb the other one and there are no duvet wars.

Galen Fri 14-Mar-14 13:41:45

Incidentally, my cover dries by being hung over the landing bannister. A trick DD showed me!

Galen Fri 14-Mar-14 13:38:04

I don't use a sheet either.

rosesarered Fri 14-Mar-14 13:20:31

No top sheet! As others say 'why'? Of course if you have mobility problems then I can understand having a sheet.Duvets are so snugly on their own. We have a king sized bed and duvet cover, but I can put the cover on quickly, having done it so often.Changed every week with all the bedding.

janerowena Fri 14-Mar-14 12:38:41

I was going to suggest the Scandinavian way of using two quilts on one bed, I am very tempted by it. One of us is often hot when the other is cold, and vice versa. It would be far easier to fold a single duvet down - and to change it. I think we may well do that, when our bedding needs replacing.

granjura Fri 14-Mar-14 12:16:48

Sorry Charleygirl, I had no idea. Why not replace your superking duvet for 2 4ft ones (to allow for overlap)- so one cover would not have to be changed so often, and it would be much easier to change yours as often as you like. This is what we have done. Due to a very bad knee, I have to change position and fiddle a lot in bed- that we I don't disturb OH so much.

granjura Fri 14-Mar-14 12:14:05

Will have to try the bannister method- sounds good.

Mishap Fri 14-Mar-14 11:55:50

I remember an American couple in a Swiss hotel getting very angry with the management because they were not supplied with a sheet - they were horrified! The poor chap kept trying to explain that the duvet covers are washed as regularly as sheets.

I certainly never use a sheet - just something else to wash.

Charleygirl Fri 14-Mar-14 09:56:26

rosequartz I at least have the washing machine on. I totally agree with your mother. I am assuming that she was not rich and neither am I so I will have to stick to the weekly change.

rosequartz Fri 14-Mar-14 09:50:54

Charleygirl, my mum always used to say if she were rich then she would have clean sheets on the bed every day (white cotton, beautifully ironed, with blankets and eiderdown in those days, of course).

(You see, I'm still on here when I should be changing the bed, clearing cupboards, food shopping etc)

Charleygirl Fri 14-Mar-14 09:45:36

I change my king sized duvet cover weekly and it is a struggle as I am on my own but I do love a clean, fresh bed and I would love this done daily, no chance!

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 14-Mar-14 09:42:15

It is just so wrong to have a sheet with a duvet cover! Takes away the whole purpose of using a duvet. It is supposed toi drape. It can't do that with a sheet between you and it.

I change bottom sheet and pillowcases weekly. Duvet cover fortnightly.

petallus Fri 14-Mar-14 09:37:00

NfkDumpling I only change my duvet cover once every four weeks though the bottom sheet and pillow cases I do more often.

There is only me in the bed and I wear pjs so the cover doesn't get very dirty.

rosequartz Fri 14-Mar-14 09:30:12

That conjures up a wonderful picture, annodomini!

I have been using a top sheet as I had a problem with one arm but I must confess to finding it irritating at night. I may go back to just the duvet, using the inside out, grasp the corners of the duvet method. I will try the over the banisters method, but may drop it downstairs. In fact I may go and try now.

Lona Fri 14-Mar-14 09:20:04

Just a duvet for me, can't stand anything tucked in over my toes as it hurts.

annodomini Fri 14-Mar-14 09:08:48

I have been known to end up inside the cover, but I now use the over the banister method.

Elegran Fri 14-Mar-14 09:05:28

Not so easy when you are on your own, though, and still sleeping (alone) in the kingsize bed.

Our method of changing covers when there were two of us was to hang the duvet over the banisters on the top landing, each burrow one arm into a top corner of the (inside out) using the other arm to control the bulk. Then grab a corner each of the duvet, through the cover, and shake the whole thing over the stairwell until the cover fell down around the duvet. Finally cart it through to the bed to get the bottom corners straight.

Every time we did this I had to instruct DH on exactly what he was supposed to be doing - who said men had more spatial awareness than women?

I still do it the same way. It is not quite as easy, but better than any opther method I have tried. Recently I have just been using a single duvet - much simpler.

granjura Fri 14-Mar-14 08:36:56

Charleygirl- when have have to put a superkingsize duvet cover on, we always did it togehter, 1 corner each- ir works well.

Merlot- which area of Switzerland does your sil live in?

shysal Fri 14-Mar-14 08:26:36

I'm with Nfk. When I used to use a duvet, I found that a top sheet, if well tucked in, stopped the quilt moving around and prevented the 'battle of the bedding' with (now ex) DH.
I have slept with top sheet only for many years now, as I am a hot body.

NfkDumpling Fri 14-Mar-14 07:48:26

I do do the inside out method but just find the covers so big. Being double thickness they take longer to dry and take up too much space on my whirligig clothes line. So I only change mine once a month -or so! (There, I've said it - I'm officially a slob blush)

kittylester Fri 14-Mar-14 07:44:04

The inside out method and no top sheet for us too! Doesn't everyone do inside out - it's just so obvious! confused