Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Perfume doesn't seem to last

(80 Posts)
overthehill Tue 20-May-14 22:54:23

Anyone got any tricks on how to make perfume last. It seems to disappear on me before I have made it out the door.

I always buy parfum as opposed to la toilette as it is stronger but still doesn't seem to last. Are they making it weaker or perhaps my sense of smell isn't as keen as it was. I don't have trouble smelling nasty smells.

What do others think

Soutra Fri 23-May-14 16:38:55

I bought myselfsad a bottle of Hermes Caleche when I was expecting my first bsby who sadly died at 3 weeks and I still associate the perfume with those wonderful days as a new mum! Still love it but it is sooooo expensive!!

Galen Fri 23-May-14 17:02:35

I've treated myself to some Shalimar. It lasts fine as does Chanel coco and no 5

Marelli Sat 24-May-14 11:21:26

I'm finding that any perfume on my neck or wrists etc makes my skin itch these days. I now spray it on my clothes and it seems to work ok. Miss Dior does stay and is one of my favourites now. I'm no good with Chanel 5 (turns 'cabbage-y'!) . Wish I was, because it reminds me of my mother. confused

goldengirl Sat 24-May-14 12:44:33

I agree about Chanel. I took note of the hype and asked for some for Christmas but I can't say I'm enamoured. When I was working I used Paris and apparently if they wanted me they followed the perfume! I find it too heavy for me now. I quite like Coco Mademoiselle but would like to try something different - floral. I've got a Jo Malone which is nicely fragrant initially but then seems to disappear.

JulieGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 24-May-14 13:54:09

Your nose can get use to a scent, so you stop smelling it, but everyone around you can. It can be tempted to squirt a little more on but the scent is still there so you don't need to. You could try alternating your perfume, this will help.

In my younger days I used to squirt perfume on my clothes. It wasn't a good idea as it ruined many a top blush I know better now.

Agus Sat 24-May-14 14:25:06

I normally wear Chanel, Coco but I recently bought Lalique, Encre Noir which could become a favourite.

I spray on to my clothes at a distance which I think lasts longer as opposed to on my skin.

rosesarered Sat 24-May-14 23:24:21

I like Obsession as well and have a half bottle of it which does seem to last if you walk through a mist of it. I prefer to do that rather than on skin and it doesn't seem to harm any of my clothes.We all have different skin chemicals so we all smell a bit different even wearing the same perfume.

rosesarered Sat 24-May-14 23:26:53

The first 'scent' I ever bought myself was 4711 cologne , and the first DH ever bought me was Coty L'Aimant [1969] what were your first perfumes?I was easily pleased in those days.grin

henetha Sun 25-May-14 11:07:40

Er, speaking as one on the lower end of the financial scale, Marks and Spencer's "Florentyna" is lovely and does last quite well.

nannyfran Sun 25-May-14 11:20:25

You brought back memories of my mother, roses, she always wore Coty L'Aimant. I used to wear something called Pagan, by Picot, who no longer exist. I also started on 4711, perhaps it was considered suitable for young people. AH, those were the days!

rosesarered Sun 25-May-14 20:38:48

nannyfran I remember Pagan [maybe even bought it] certainly the name appealed.smile
Soutra sad flowers not a good memory for you.

Faye Sun 25-May-14 21:05:52

Years ago I used to catch a bus to work. Each morning without looking up from my book I knew a particular woman had got on the bus. Her perfume was so strong and I could smell it even seated half way down the bus. It really was overpowering and very annoying.

Recently my daughter and I worked out one of the reasons she got a headache each morning. She would put her perfume on just before she left the house, get in her car and immediately have a headache. Perfume is made from chemicals and many people are allergic to it. I haven't worn it for about ten years.

grandma60 Sun 25-May-14 22:17:04

D oes anyone remember Aqua Manda from the 60,s.? I read a while ago that it was being brought back although ive not seen it. Not sure if I would like it now anyway.

Marmight Sun 25-May-14 23:16:49

Aquamanda! Wasn't it orangey?

rubysong Sun 25-May-14 23:27:38

I used to have Aqua Manda in the 60s it was fab! (Everything was fab in the 60s)
I also had something with Jade in its name but I can't remember who made it, and once some body lotion called 'In Love'.

Marmight Mon 26-May-14 09:23:33

I just Googled Aqua Manda. It has been reintroduced and is now available again as a 'retro' perfume!

Diddlyididi Mon 26-May-14 12:10:57

I think the answer is to choose a few different perfumes that you love and then alternate them. Your nose stops noticing smells after a while so you need to trick it into still taking notice. Also spraying on bra is a good plan. As it warms up the smell is directed up towards you yourself and less towards others I think. I am a perfume addict and feel naked without it. In recent years I have become a big fan of Miller Harris stuff and that is very long lasting. Might be too strong for some people but definitely worth giving it a try if you find other perfumes fade fast. smile

Diddlyididi Mon 26-May-14 12:13:04

Aqua Manda used to smell of my mother's compost heap....think it must have been the orange element which made me think this! Probably much nicer now I have forgotten about the compost heap. I think the one with Blue in its title would have been Blue Jade maybe?

oznan Mon 26-May-14 15:07:04

Oooh,I used to love AquaManda and one called Sea Jade too.There was also one called Tabu that was great for nights out!
Getting back to the original question,someone told me to rub a little vaseline or unscented lip balm onto your pulse points first.Then,when you spray on the perfume,it clings and lasts longer.I've found this works for me,best on neck and cleavage.
These days I love Lady Million and Diesel's Loverdose,which last well.However,I often buy cheaper Avon scents which last just as well with the vaseline.My current fave is Incandescence Blossom.

rosesarered Mon 26-May-14 15:20:30

Some of the Avon perfumes are very good [others less so] I really like Percieve and the bottle is a work of art for the dressing table too.A good day perfume.

BeeWitch Mon 26-May-14 15:28:21

Try the Fragrantica website - it's a mine of information on all aspects of scent. flowers Lovely to browse

Joelise Mon 26-May-14 15:39:59

I've had a love of perfume since I was about 14 years of age. I have been using L'Eau de Issay Miyake for a number of years. Does anyone remember Memoire Cherie & it's sister perfume Blue? something or other? They were around in the sixties, they might have been made by Elizabeth Arden.

annodomini Mon 26-May-14 16:28:21

Yes - you mean Blue Grass? Those were Arden fragrances. I have a bottle of Blue Grass bought in the fairly recent past - probably from Ebay.

Joelise Mon 26-May-14 16:40:40

Thanks annodomini, one of my friends at art school used to come in reeking of Memoire Cherie & me ditto of Blue Grass,& we sprayed ourselves frequently during the day,I had a Saturday job at Boots ( other chemists are available) to pay for my " habit "!

NfkDumpling Mon 26-May-14 17:17:14

I used to wear L'eau d'Issy until I couldn't smell it anymore so I didn't know how much I'd put on. My DD2 has bought me some Jo Malone (bluebell) which I love and stays fresh and true.