Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Eyebrows

(32 Posts)
suebailey1 Tue 27-May-14 10:35:31

My eyebrows are disappearing fast but not in a nice arched shape 9stick got sticky out ones and a bare patch on the left hand side). I have had them waxed and plucked for years in search of the perfect arch and to rid myself of the monobrow I grew in my teens.
has anyone found a lovely solution to this. I have purchased several different brow kits from Benefit and Clarins and always go to a salon (never pluck them myself) but still not happy with the look I achieve. I was wondering if anyone had ha permanent solution i.e. tattoo. On the John Lewis website is an eyebrow tutorial were they seem to use 6 different products/implements - anyone doing this?

Tegan Tue 27-May-14 10:46:28

I just use Elizabeth Arden 'Soft Blond' eyebrow powder. I brush it over the few eyebrow hairs I do have [which are also white sad] and it seems to do the trick; it seems to fill in the gaps in a gentle way. I also now use a magnifying mirror which, even though I hate seeing myself in it, makes sure I don't put on anything that looks silly.

durhamjen Tue 27-May-14 10:58:32

Grow a fringe?

kittylester Tue 27-May-14 12:15:14

Er, what are 'eyebrows'?

tanith Tue 27-May-14 12:17:28

I use a soft brown pencil and just use it lightly to brush the brows I do have it seems to work ok and doesn't look over the top.

yogagran Tue 27-May-14 12:25:34

Mine are very sparse, I have them shaped and dyed about every two to three months and in between I use this product :

www.bobbibrown.co.uk/product/2327/20492/Makeup/Eyes/Brows/Natural-Brow-Shaper-Hair-Touch-Up/index.tmpl

Ana Tue 27-May-14 12:33:46

I use MAC brow gel, which is a similar product to the Bobbi Brown one. Benefit do brow gel in different shades as well.

TerriBull Tue 27-May-14 13:05:38

Browdrama by Maybeline, it's a brow brush similar to mascara. Brows are the new eyelashes as you age! My eyelashes used to be really thick when I was younger, if I put enough mascara on, I remember being asked if I had false eyelashes on? Now sadly they are sparse. The great thing about doing eyebrows, you can put on reading glasses and do them above a magnifying mirror. Being shortsighted I find it harder to do mascara even with a good mirror.

Ana Tue 27-May-14 13:21:42

Ooh, I've not come across that, TerriBull, I'll look out for it - much cheaper than the others!

yogagran Tue 27-May-14 13:33:26

I'm going to look for that one too Terri, thanks for that

suebailey1 Tue 27-May-14 19:38:08

Thank you all for this - no-one has gone for the permanent option then. as to eyelashes mine are as long as ever and I use Clarins Wonder Perfect Mascara.

Ana Tue 27-May-14 19:56:13

Mine aren't quite beyond redemption yet, sue, although a bit sparse and patchy. I find the gel works well for me because it seems to pick up the very pale or fine hairs.

I've heard good reports from people who've had the tattoos, but wonder how that would work if you've still got half your eyebrows left? Would they have to pluck the lot to give a 'clean canvas' so to speak...?

Tegan Tue 27-May-14 20:09:37

And what if your face continues to change shape? Or if you decide to have a facelift and your eyebrows then end up in the middle of your forehead confused?

JessM Tue 27-May-14 20:36:34

Dyeing them helps. I think the gel I use is No7. We don't have any of those fancy brands out here on the distant edge of Wales!

Ana Tue 27-May-14 20:45:08

Jess, I'm sure you could make it to Debenhams in Llandudno (where they sell Benefit products), and Boots sell the Maybelline one

Ana Tue 27-May-14 20:46:04

There's probably a Denenhams in Bangor too, come to think of it...

Ana Tue 27-May-14 20:46:25

'b'

Ana Tue 27-May-14 21:00:59

I buy my MAC gel online.

ninathenana Tue 27-May-14 22:35:35

I definitely need a trip to Boots, I've never seen or heard of this product. Thanks.

KatyK Wed 28-May-14 09:14:42

For some bizarre reason, in the '60s I used to shave part of mine off and use a pencil to draw the rest in confused . The edges have never grown back.
I have a fringe so you can't really see them fortunately.

Ariadne Wed 28-May-14 09:37:05

I met someone a few years ago who had had a semi permanent tattoo on her eyebrows and it looked fabulous. I keep meaning to find somewhere down here who might do it, but keep finding tattoo parlours....

Mine have never really recovered from chemo, and I would love to have well shaped ones.

annodomini Wed 28-May-14 09:48:01

Hypothyroidism has an unfortunate effect on body hair and in my case this has included the outer sides of my eyebrows. On the inner sides, they are growing lavishly and are in danger of looking bushy - and there is the odd white hair. I pluck them myself, but if I take out the white ones, it leaves a gap. Help!

JessM Thu 29-May-14 08:24:24

Yes there is actually a Debenhams in Bangor. I was thinking of Boots - which has a very limited range. I usually think Debehams out of the price bracket I am willing to pay for makeup, so don't think of going in there smile

glammanana Thu 29-May-14 09:22:31

JessM Treat yourself to a morning at Debenhams and just wander about they have a vast range of products all price ranges,why not stop and chat to some of the ladies on the counters and they will maybe give you a mini-makeover if they are not busy they are very good also for giving free samples and you can try at home,I always enjoy a trip to my local Store when I have an hour or two to spare.

Ana Thu 29-May-14 11:28:52

I agree that some of the products sold in stores such as Debenhams are expensive - in fact the benefit tinted gel is more twice the price of the Maybelline brow mascara for exactly the same number of grams!

MAC brow gel, on the other hand, works out around the same price per g as the Maybelline product and lasts for ages as it's nearly three times bigger.