Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Face Primer

(32 Posts)
NanKate Wed 25-Jun-14 07:30:39

Can anyone recommend a good base primer I can use to set my foundation ?

Lona Wed 25-Jun-14 08:48:11

I use one by Gosh, from Superdrug. It's £14.99 I think, and very silky.

Agus Wed 25-Jun-14 09:39:29

I have been using Clarins Beauty Flash Balm for years which gives a smooth finish pre foundation. Approx £22 depending where you shop.

Ana Wed 25-Jun-14 09:51:50

Boots N.7 Airbrush Away, £19.50.

tanith Wed 25-Jun-14 10:51:46

You can buy 'primer' to put on your face? Who knew? not me for sure I have trouble remembering to put sunscreen moisturiser on.

Elegran Wed 25-Jun-14 11:53:56

Then two coats of undercoat and a final layer of non-drip gloss. Rub down well between coats.

glammanana Wed 25-Jun-14 12:48:41

Avon Face Primer about £9.50 but often available on special offers, very good indeed.

Nonu Wed 25-Jun-14 14:14:49

I wear "City block Sheer" -25 SPF by Clinique just on it"s own . Don"t seem to need anything else , it covers well , only wear it on my cheeks though.
I will cover some of the blurb.
Sheer high level UVA/UVB sun protection. makeup looks fresher, longer. Wear alone or as an invisible under-makeup primer

sunshine

Nonu Wed 25-Jun-14 14:16:52

Agus, I love Beauty Flash balm, what a lovely product !
Worth every penny !

janerowena Wed 25-Jun-14 14:22:46

I use it too, only when going out somewhere posh with the full works on though. usually in the winter, as it gives a bit of a glow through the six subsequent coats of whatever I feel I need that day.

Very tempted to try the undercoat and gloss routine. With varnish for extra protection.

Agus Wed 25-Jun-14 14:23:48

I agree Nonu and sometimes use it as a mask which they also recommend.

Very droll Elegran smile

Nonu Wed 25-Jun-14 14:42:22

Jane, instead of 6 coats, why not use Estee Lauder " double wear foundation " lasts & lasts .Not poking my nose in mind. grin.

agus never tried it as a mask , perhaps give it a go !

Ana Wed 25-Jun-14 14:56:36

Or just wear a mask....grin

Agus Wed 25-Jun-14 14:59:53

I have very dry skin and for foundation I use a small amount of Leichner Copper Blend which has an added moisturiser. £4.99 at most chemists. This is a stage make up which actors use to stop their skin becoming dry under strong stage lights.

NanKate Wed 25-Jun-14 15:21:16

I'm tempted by the Clarins Beauty Flash Balm.

Nonu I use the Estée Lauder Double Wear foundation and matching powder as I need a good bit of 'slap' to pass muster. grin

Nonu Wed 25-Jun-14 15:32:37

I know what you mean Nan, this little lily needs a bit more "gilding"!!
Laugh

annodomini Wed 25-Jun-14 16:01:42

I am now completely confused. Primer, BB cream, CC cream, DD cream, foundation.... I think I might need a makeover. grin

janerowena Wed 25-Jun-14 22:38:16

grin

We (my choir) were having our photo taken tonight because the local paper are doing an article on us. The lighting in our rehearsal room is grim. Never have so many ladies never been so knowingly under-made-up. It was a wonder we could sing at all! I'm sure I heard a few sopranos cracking a little.

Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation sounds just the job for such emergencies. grin

janerowena Wed 25-Jun-14 22:43:47

Good heavens! What colour? How on earth do you choose out of that lot? If you usually go for 'fair' in the winter or 'pale beige' in the summer, where do you start with all that choice?

Nonu Wed 25-Jun-14 22:52:29

"Jane", go to your nearest "ESTEE LAUDER" and they will help and advise on what is a suitable colour for you ,

janerowena Wed 25-Jun-14 23:42:43

I know, Nonu. I have forgotten how to shop. I do it all online! I think in this case shall have to get off my backside and actually enter a shop though!

NanKate Thu 26-Jun-14 07:20:14

Jane I am fair skinned and any foundation with a yellow base makes me look sallow. I told this to the Estée Lauder consultant and she has a chart that has a list of shades which are either pink based or yellow based. I was given Double Wear 'Pale Almond' which is pink based and it is perfect for me. I have the matching powder.

My natural skin looks pretty uneven in colour but the foundation and powder make it look rather nice,

Finally when you first put on the foundation it looks rather thin but after a minute or so it gives a good coating.

NfkDumpling Thu 26-Jun-14 07:38:32

I only use moisturiser and a bit of mascara. Am I missing out? I sort of gave up when my double chin degraded into a landslide.

Perhaps it's time I made an effort?

I knew about foundation and powder, but what's primer? Does it go on first? Do you still use moisturiser as well? confused

Agus Thu 26-Jun-14 08:00:32

Moisturiser, primer, foundation Nfk. The primer gives your skin a smooth base before applying foundation.

Iam64 Thu 26-Jun-14 08:16:33

I burned my bra (well, stopped wearing one) in 1971, and other than loads of eye make up in the late 60's never wore foundation, much less primer. Fast forward many years, and one of my daughters is getting married. One of those big weddings, and I'm MOB. I felt some pressure, and resorted to a proper bra, and bought primer, foundation, eye stuff and lipstick for the day. I can tell you - what a difference it made. Even skin tone, and the primer worked wonders, as the foundation that evened out my skin tone (much damaged by spending as much time as possible outside) remained good, from 8am when it went on, to midnight.
It's still sitting in a drawer if anyone wants a go!