Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

I've got the 'ump!

(24 Posts)
Soutra Sat 05-Jul-14 18:46:04

OMG!! I (for the first time in ages) took a sideways look at myself in the mirror this morning and nearly put my head in the gas oven - only it's electric fan and anyway it needs cleaning.
I have grown a hump the size of a camel's just below the nape of my already short, neck, A big fatty lump and I look like a cross between a camel and an anteater. It isn't osteoporosis just bad posture, hunching over the laptop too much, probably hunching over the steering wheel and a couple of surplus stones in weight. sadsadsad

Is there any remedy? Clearly I will not be wearing dresses or tops with low backs, but do you think a collar would help, longer hair a la Dawn French (currently it is short) polo necks or scarves? I am not planning to audition for Quasimodo and it is not a good look - but is it inevitable with ageing? I believe it is known as a "dowager's hump" shock but it is seriously AWFUL.

Ana Sat 05-Jul-14 18:50:32

Here's a thread from earlier this year which might give you some ideas, Soutra.

www.gransnet.com/forums/health/1207295-Widows-Hump

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 05-Jul-14 18:50:34

I'm getting a dowagers hump - my granny had one too. But it isn't fatty. It's more bony. (my fat is in other places)

The only answer is to stand up straight (as they keep telling me hmm)

Shoulders back, tummy in. hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 05-Jul-14 18:51:21

Yes. Mine needs cleaning too. grin

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 05-Jul-14 18:51:47

My oven not my... Oh! never mind! hmm

rosesarered Sat 05-Jul-14 18:52:58

I think I may be joining you [in the oven] Soutra as I seem to be getting the same thing, at least from certain angles, and I think you are right, it's bad posture!Peering forward at the computer doesn't help, so sitting up straighter maybe, and the same with watching tv? I do think that [slightly] longer hair helps as well.Or a scarf.I don't think it's inevitable but I know my own posture tends towards hunching, so your post is a wake up call to me!We need to keep our heads up more.Courage mon brave!

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 05-Jul-14 18:53:15

I'm told (by know-it-all son) that mine is osteoporosis, and I'm to take calcium tablets. hmm

kittylester Sat 05-Jul-14 18:55:04

Just make sure no-one sees you either sideways or from the back. grin

Soutra Sat 05-Jul-14 18:57:02

Maybe a Burka?
The front ain't much to write home about neither!

Aka Sat 05-Jul-14 19:49:47

A long wig in the style of Dolly should cover the problem.

NfkDumpling Sat 05-Jul-14 20:33:19

About every six weeks I go to a sports massager (masseur sounds a bit naughty) who pummels and sorts out my back problem. Ever since I complained of having granulated sugar in my neck he also also stretches and manipulates that. I come away at least half an inch taller and walking straighter and more easily. By the end of six weeks I'm back to a slouching sack of spuds with a bad back - but it does help!

Rowantree Sat 05-Jul-14 20:37:38

I have humps all over my body, only I calls 'em rolls of fat confused

My new medication is leading to a big weight increase and I was VERY overweight before. Seems I have to choose between being happy and obese, and miserable, anxious and a bit less blobby-looking.
Soutra - how about elegant, draped scarves? I have a large collection of them, designed to hang over the worst bits of blubber round my middle.

rosequartz Sat 05-Jul-14 22:29:25

Pilates? Yoga?

rosequartz Sat 05-Jul-14 22:30:51

Ps it's GN that is to blame ... sorry ... it's happening to me too, and lumpy forefingers.

KatyK Sun 06-Jul-14 09:46:37

I think most of us get this hump thing as we get older. I will just add mine to the list of things that have disappeared that I need (teeth, hair etc) and things that have appeared that I don't need (unsightly veins, unexplained white spots on my face, lines, bingo wings, a turkey neck etc). Yes I am truly gorgeous! sad My sister who is only in her mid 50s was complaining about the hump thing the other day. sad

Nonu Sun 06-Jul-14 10:21:20

That is the ticket,
Shoulders back , tummy in, seems to work for me , have to think of it though & I sometimes forget !
grin

Tegan Sun 06-Jul-14 10:41:13

You can buy elasticated back straighteners. I've often thought of getting one as [from looking at old family photos] a rounded, slouching back seems to run in my family. My posture is terrible and can only get worse.

anneey Sun 06-Jul-14 11:09:05

I can sympathise Soutra (it is not a good look)
I have Scoliosis (curvature of the spine)
My back bends over on one side.
I am forever shopping for hooded tops, and square scarves that can be folded over, with the pointed ends over your back.
Also a Cardi casually placed on your shoulders.
I haven't heard of the back elastic straighteners.
My Consultant, explained that a brace is not advisable as can bend spine in the wrong direction.

janerowena Sun 06-Jul-14 11:44:34

Raise your computer screen, if that is what you are using. I keep mine at the highest level. Try to read books and laptops on lap cushions. Make yourself sit up straight, and pull your shoulders right back, every few minutes.

Hard to remember to do but I have a beautiful neighbour from the front who looks like Quasimodo from the back. She gives me incentive every time I see her, as my mother's back is also starting to curve.

merlotgran Sun 06-Jul-14 11:48:02

Both my grandmothers had lovely straight backs and so did my aunt but suddenly, at the age of 85, my mother developed a hideous dowager's hump.

I'm now wondering who I'm going to take after.....hmm

shabby Sun 06-Jul-14 12:49:48

Try pilates and/or yoga. Both are excellent at improving posture and stretching the spine. Even if you can't get to classes there are plenty of tutorials online.

TriciaF Sun 06-Jul-14 13:58:46

Elasticated back straighteners:
Husband has a similar problem, slouching over the 'puter. He started to wear braces ((for his trousers) and finds this helps. They're adjustable, and there's a clip at the crossing of the 2 elastics at the back which you can move up and down to give more support.
They might not work so well with a skirt.

Mianonna Thu 02-Oct-14 18:13:29

Longer hair for me!

Charleygirl Thu 02-Oct-14 18:26:49

Check first that you do not have osteoporosis. Your GP can supply you with AD Cal C.