Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

moisturiser

(37 Posts)
etheltbags1 Mon 04-Aug-14 22:16:22

I swim a lot and my legs are very dry, also my hands with gardening and washing so much. Can anyone recommend a moisturiser that is safe, has got no parabens in it or artificial perfumes and is a reasonable price.
Have been using E45 and have used Cocoa butter in the past but I don't like to smell like a bar of chocolate, and would like a change to e45.

Tegan Mon 04-Aug-14 22:39:55

I like Aveeno but I don't know if it contains parabens.

rosequartz Mon 04-Aug-14 22:39:56

Ethel, cocoa butter is lovely but it does have that very distinctive smell! I like it but other people may not.

Aveeno products are good at moisturising and do not smell strong.

MiniMouse Mon 04-Aug-14 23:12:10

Ethelbags1 Have you tried Allergenics? All natural, not too expensive and you can get lotion, cream and ointment. It's unscented. I've been using it for years. I buy online as it's not available in my town.

suebailey1 Tue 05-Aug-14 09:48:29

E45 has a thicker formulation Intense Recovery f you need more moisturising but if you need something thicker then Eumovate is recommended by dermatologists and you can buy it over the counter or get it on prescription if you have eczema. IT might be an idea to top using soap and use E45 body wash or similar.

HildaW Tue 05-Aug-14 09:58:20

Years ago my daughter developed a dry itchy rash after swimming....we treated it with lashings of E45 cream and also used other E45 products for baths and showers - soon cleared up.

rosequartz Tue 05-Aug-14 15:26:04

Eumovate was one I was trying to remember, also Eucerin products ( not sure about parabens though).

whenim64 Tue 05-Aug-14 15:42:21

Aveeno is very kind to your skin, parabens-free and not a bad price. I get it from Costco in packs of three large tubes for about £9.

MariClaire Tue 05-Aug-14 21:34:40

I use the Aveeno daily moisturizer with 30% sunscreen on my face, and mix my own blend of grapeseed and extra virgin olive oils (Costco) for everything else. I apply this every day when I'm still slightly wet. I spent decades trying to find the right moisturizer, and this is it. I swim a lot too, and used to deal with cracked and bleeding knuckles in winter. It works well for me.

rubylady Tue 05-Aug-14 23:07:18

ethel what do parabens do? Pardon my ignorance. x

Grannybug Wed 06-Aug-14 09:23:14

I have found that very aloe Aloveria actif hydrant cream is really good and it's organic. It does cost a bit more (£23) including postage from Germany but for that you get 200ml.

etheltbags1 Wed 06-Aug-14 11:29:54

parabens are a preservative and have been associated with cancer. It is better not to use such products on the skin as it stays a long time and goes directly into the body. I tend to favour the 'don't put onto your skin what you would not put in your mouth' point of view but I don't fancy rubbing my legs with olive oil every day, although I do sometimes. Look up parabens on google

FlicketyB Wed 06-Aug-14 12:55:05

Aubrey Organics do a whole range of paraben-free body lotions. I have been using them for several years as I am allergic to a number of chemicals used in standard cosmetics.
www.aubreyorganicsuk.co.uk

grandma60 Wed 06-Aug-14 15:59:22

Definatly recomend Aveeno. I think I mentioned once before that I discovered it when my daughter doctor prescribed it for my grandson soon after he was born.

rosequartz Wed 06-Aug-14 18:03:55

I used to use products called 'Jason' but don't know where I can buy them since our health store closed down.

rosequartz Wed 06-Aug-14 18:06:35

If you know of a Usana agent then Sense products are excellent and free of nasties. (Accent aigu on the 2nd 'e' of Sense but can't do it on here).

Elegran Wed 06-Aug-14 18:07:28

Have you tried Googling "Jason stockists" Ten to one there will be a list somewhere.

sparkygran Wed 06-Aug-14 18:07:57

I use Garnier Fresh Essentials and have done for years it`s reasonably priced and often on offer in Tesco`s (other supermarkets are available) have no idea if there are parabens in it but I like it. I too used to swim daily Ethel and used above as a moisturiser.

rosequartz Wed 06-Aug-14 18:11:38

Yes, will try that, Elegran.
I have been using Aveeno, and use Sense from Usana when I can afford it and need to order their vitamins as well.

rubylady Thu 07-Aug-14 00:10:13

Thanks ethel I did look it up on Google.

By the same token then aluminium is in cosmetics too, deodorant and that too can cause cancer. I use Bionsen aluminium free deodorant spray. Check it out. flowers

etheltbags1 Thu 07-Aug-14 09:43:11

I don't use aliminuim pans for the same reason.

etheltbags1 Thu 07-Aug-14 09:43:41

aluminium causes althzheimers too

Elegran Thu 07-Aug-14 10:43:02

I think the aluminium/altzheimers theory is no longer considered valid any more. It was strongly put forward maybe thirty years ago, and many people got rid of their aluminium pans as a result, but there have been all kinds of research and theory since then. That said, I could be wrong.

The makers of stainless steel cookware probably still hold to it.

rosequartz Thu 07-Aug-14 20:52:54

I am still using Bionsen, and stainless steel pans just in case! (Well, there is no point in changing back to the aluminium ones, although it wouldn't worry me to use my old alumiunium pressure cooker.)

sweetpea Thu 07-Aug-14 23:31:24

Aveeno for me too. I also use Palmers Cocoa Butter lotion, which I personally
like, though DH thinks I smell like a sweetshop!!