Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Any hairdressers out there ???

(14 Posts)
ninathenana Sun 05-Oct-14 16:34:51

I used a semi permanent colour on my hair yesterday (was grey) I don't like it sad have used semi permanent colour for years. This is too dark. How soon can I re do it ?
I'm going to a wedding in 3 wks.

suzied Sun 05-Oct-14 19:35:07

I'm not a hairdresser but I've done the same thing myself in the past. Went to my hairdresser who put some highlights and a toner in and it lifted the colour .

shysal Sun 05-Oct-14 19:43:52

This has happened to me in the past. DD, a hairdresser, advised me to wash my hair a few times in Fairy liquid, which removes the intensity of the over-dark colour. You would need to condition well! I think if you re-did it, it could look worse. The idea of highlights is a good one.
Good luck!

suzied Sun 05-Oct-14 19:45:43

I have seen a colour remover in Superdrug. Haven't used it myself so can't recommend it. The highlights worked but it does cost.

susieb755 Sun 05-Oct-14 22:48:15

Colour remover is used to remove dark dye before redying, but be careful.
My DD is a hairdresser, and she advises highlights - look and see if you have any mobile HD , they are usually cheaper as less overheads

Coolgran65 Sun 05-Oct-14 23:54:14

Happened to me when I decided to enhance my ginger auburn locks. Got an emergency appointment next day with my hairdresser who did a wonderful job with highlights and lowlights of various shades of caramel and blonde and hazel.
Have no fear, a good modern hairdresser will sort you out and you will hopefully love the result.

littleflo Mon 06-Oct-14 08:18:37

Do not under any circumstances use a colour remover as you will most likely end up with a worse colour. As you hair is grey it is going to be very porous and the colour remover is likely to leave you patchy.

My advice (I have done what you have done on more than one occassion) is to use a dandruff shampoo, something like head and shoulders. Use it every day for a week and use a really good thick conditioner afterwards.

After maybe two weeks if you still don't like the colour then you can try again, but depending on how dramatic your colour is then a hairdresser might be better.

Thank goodness the weather is turning worse - at least you can wear a hat.

Ariadne Mon 06-Oct-14 09:21:05

Think I have said this elsewhere, in response to a similar query, but here goes!

After chemo, and after waiting the recommended time, desperate to be "normal" again, I coloured my hair what my DD now calls "menopausal mahogany". (I was blonde before chemo) It was fine, then began to look very flat, so I asked my hairdresser about stripping it down. (I had rung the Clairol helpline and they said that it wasn't something I should do at home.)

I was concerned that it would damage my hair, but it was very successful - took a long time, though! I then went back to blonde with silver highlights, saying I would let the grey grow through slowly. That was ten years ago and I haven't got round to that yet..

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 06-Oct-14 09:39:28

Just stand there and wash it about six times, using your normal shampoo each time. And thank the Good Lord you didn't go for a permanent one.

shabby Mon 06-Oct-14 11:38:09

Something similar happened to me several weeks ago using a L'Oreal semi permanent colour. I spoke to L'Oreal who advised me to put neat cleansing shampoo, Tresemme do one, onto dry hair for 20 minutes before washing. I tried this and it took some of the colour out immediately and within 2 weeks I was more or less back to normal. I have also been told that Head and Shoulders shampoo can be effective.

Galen Mon 06-Oct-14 11:47:20

Still on hair, but a different topic.
I wanted my hair put up for a formal night on P&O Adonia last week, they wanted £45 to wash and dry it and a further £45 to put it up!shock

sherish Mon 06-Oct-14 12:02:22

I have done this several times in the past and have used aerial bio washing liquid. I've also used head and shoulders which makes it lighter. Lots of washes and lots of conditioner. I wouldn't recommend this and as you want it to look good for a special occasion I would go to the hairdresser who can strip out the colour and put on a gentler looking shade. She will be able to monitor how long it needs to be on for too.

mrsmopp Thu 09-Oct-14 23:13:26

Try this. Equal amounts of conditioner and lemon juice mixed together put on the hair and cover with a shower cap and hot towel. Leave it as long as you can, rinse out and wash with head and shoulders. I've done this more than once. I colour my hair with nice n easy but if I leave it on too long my hair ends up far too dark. You know how it is, you answer the phone, forget to look at the time and you've overdone it again!

specki4eyes Fri 10-Oct-14 10:57:20

I too have found that using Head and Shoulders several times will quickly reduce the strength of the colour.