Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Waterfall cardigans

(29 Posts)
Atqui Sun 19-Oct-14 12:29:34

www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/public/share/sourceid/STAM_D83465About time these things went away!

Ana Sun 19-Oct-14 12:31:17

Can't access your link, Atqui, but I thought the blasted things had gone away! confused

Scaredycat1 Sun 19-Oct-14 12:31:48

Hate them!

jamsidedown Sun 19-Oct-14 12:40:04

What's wrong with them? (I can't access the link either)

posie Sun 19-Oct-14 13:10:01

www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/style/fashion/article1470748.ece

FlicketyB Sun 19-Oct-14 13:34:37

Fine in their time, now long gone, but still holding out in catalogues and shops selling age-appropriate clothing.

Kiora Sun 19-Oct-14 13:49:38

Best take mine off thenwink I do get fed up of being almost told what to wear. I feel it's a ploy to make me spend more money. I somtimes wish I was back in the days when the women in my family wore what they were comfortable in as long as it was clean.

Elegran Sun 19-Oct-14 13:53:13

You wear it because you like it - great.
If you wore it because everyone else is wearing it - you'd be a sheep.
If you stopped wearing it because no-one else is wearing it - you'd still be a sheep.

Culag Sun 19-Oct-14 13:56:16

I think they look good on the right person. Preferably fairly slim and not too short - the person not the cardigan. I like the floaty look but can't combine it with floaty trousers because I am too short.

Atqui Sun 19-Oct-14 14:27:18

Thanks Posie, I am not very good at links as you can see! Perhaps it's cos I typed something immediately after it. I remember when these garments were first fashionable thinking " I won't buy one of those - they will soon be very dated " .However there are still many around.The article made me chuckle , particularly as it is hot on the tail (no pun intended) of the Leggings thread!

janerowena Sun 19-Oct-14 14:34:31

I think there are some really nice long-length floaty cardigans around, especially the ones that are flared all round. There were some rather extreme waterfalls around though, why anyone would want something that only comes to just below their armpits at the back yet is down to their knees at the front is beyond me.

Stansgran Sun 19-Oct-14 16:28:47

I always assumed they were for people with enormous bosoms the extent of the waterfall levelling up to the back if you see what I mean.

rockgran Sun 19-Oct-14 16:52:19

Must admit I always thought they looked rather untidy and droopy. Still, if you like 'em wear 'em! It's still a free country!
(Currently wearing ancient trousers, unmatching cardigan and teeshirt with spot of sauce from lunch - so what do I know?) blush

Agus Sun 19-Oct-14 17:21:11

I have a shorter version of what I now know is called a waterfall cardi! No idea it actually had a name, but as I like wearing it from time to time, I shall continue to do so.

I don't buy into, this is in fashion, this is not in fashion just because someone says this is the case.

Soutra Sun 19-Oct-14 17:26:12

Saw the article, don't give a monkey's, My cardis will be retired when I say so. If you look at what is supposed to be fashionable now in the same Sunday publication, you'd look better in a bin bag !

Lona Sun 19-Oct-14 17:34:30

I think, if you've got a bit of a belly tummy like me, they are quite flattering.
Wear what you please I say.

rosequartz Sun 19-Oct-14 17:52:30

I have all sorts of 'old-fashioned' items in my wardrobe (can't keep up) so now the waterfall cardie will be relegated to slipping on when the evening gets a bit chilly.

I tend to keep things for so long then throw them out to the charity shop, at which point they become fashionable again!

Nonu Sun 19-Oct-14 18:32:10

I think they are sort of alright, but don"t really do a good job of keeping you warm, which is surely what a cardi is for ?

I , every Winter bring out my trusty Mohair cardi"s which I have had for just ages . Now that is cozy and toasty.
grin

Purpledaffodil Sun 19-Oct-14 18:40:27

Oh heck! Only have waterfall cardis. But they are very long and bottom covering and I am 5ft 11, so I will kid myself they look fine! (goes away to look moodily at suddenly frumpy wardrobe)

janerowena Sun 19-Oct-14 18:42:51

Mine are bottom covering too, and I refuse to part with them. I had noticed they were in decline, but living in the sticks as I do I reckon I am good for another year at least.

annsixty Sun 19-Oct-14 19:18:05

I will carry on wearing mine and sucks to fashion, but then I am ancient and past it and couldn't care less. Now that is what I call freedom.

FarNorth Sun 19-Oct-14 19:31:27

When I am old I shall wear a purple hat, and a waterfall cardi, and ......

rosequartz Sun 19-Oct-14 19:34:04

FarNorth grin

I shall wear mine, it is certainly kidney-covering and I shall wrap the waterfall bits around me like a wrap on chilly evenings.

Nelliemoser Sun 19-Oct-14 19:45:17

Keep them! They are sure to come back into fashion in the next 25yrs.

thatbags Sun 19-Oct-14 20:24:28

Waterfall cardis would be impractical for my lifestyle so I've never wanted one. I don't think they'd suit me anyway. I have one double-edged rule for choosing what to wear: is it practical for my purposes and does it suit me? To hell with whether it's fashionable. Besides, I never really know what is fashionable at any particular time, probably because I don't care.

I'd get a waterfall cardi caught on tree branches or on barbed wire fences. Can't be doing with flappy clothes in my life.