Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Underwear - Sloggi maxi knickers

(31 Posts)
Coolgran65 Sun 03-May-15 04:58:48

Years ago I used to wear Sloggi pants.
More recently it's been M & S because they are available at the Outlet Store for around £1 on offer (from £4 or £5)
Sloggi can be pretty expensive.

I've noticed Sloggie now do a slightly 'hold you firmer' pant which reviews say is very comfortable.

Has anyone tried Sloggi recently and in particular the hold you in type.
www.amazon.co.uk/Sloggi-Control-Maxi-Womens-Briefs/dp/B0082PFJ4W/ref=sr_1_2?s=clothing&ie=UTF8&qid=1430625047&sr=1-2&keywords=sloggi

Ordinary type are 4 for £20 with free delivery
Hold you in are 2 for £20 with free delivery.

I reckon they won't hold in you in.. so much as.... just hold the wobble in place a little firmer and smoother.

I wondered would their sizing be on a par with M & S ?

Does anyone have any experience of these.

thatbags Sun 03-May-15 07:36:42

No, sorry, coolgran, but now I am no longer dancing and needing firm bras for my small boobs (why do bra manufacturers think small boobs need less support than big ones? they are just as wobbly when you jump up and down hmm), I do like Sloggi pull-on bras. They last a long time through wash after wash so I guess the knickers would too.

Unhelpful post, huh? wink but it's given the thread a bump up smile

petallus Sun 03-May-15 08:35:30

Until fairly recently I always wore the Sloggie pull-on bras. More recently I find my boobs, which seem to have got bigger and floppier with age are just not enough.

I wonder if I should give them another go. One problem is they don't go beyond a B cup. I could do with a C.

petallus Sun 03-May-15 08:36:06

Tee hee, can't help thinking that any men lurking will love this thread. You can't blame them for their nature.

annodomini Sun 03-May-15 09:34:37

I have never liked Sloggi maxi knickers because of the seam running down the back and anyway I don't like big pants. I have bought Sloggi tais which don't have that annoying seam, but more recently I've been buying microfibre pants from Sainsbury's which wear well and cost a lot less than Sloggis.

annodomini Sun 03-May-15 09:37:23

PS Any men watching can find their very own sloggis here.

Nelliemoser Sun 03-May-15 09:44:35

With bra's these day I think that to stop droop I need something engineered by Brunel. And I am not particularly big busted.

Teetime Sun 03-May-15 10:28:03

Couldn't possible wear knickers that didn't match my bra and that were the same colour of whatever goes on top. MIL loves her Sloggis though as she doesn't like the impression of knickers to be seen through trousers- we buy them for her on-line.

Coolgran65 Sun 03-May-15 11:53:59

I wouldn't even consider a pull on bra for my 36+++++++.
Bravissimo bra stores' fitting and design/engineering has put paid to any droop.

I have rarely worn support control knickers and have always thought Sloggi just a tad expensive but having come across these control ones and the good reviews, I'd thought of having a try for when I want to 'look the part' I.e. to try make a garment hang as well as possible.

Doesn't look like they're in much demand by us GNs which says it all. smile

Perhaps I spend too much time at the pc when unable to sleep in the wee small hours !!

Ana Sun 03-May-15 12:01:31

I've worn Sloggi Maxis for years, I love them and I don't find the seam at the back to be a problem. I can't remember the last time I bought a pack, they seem to last forever!

Wouldn't bother with the control version, though.

GillT57 Sun 03-May-15 22:53:54

I never wear anything else! They are fantastically comfortable and don't leave a visible line under trousers. I buy white to wear either white bras and back for black (need to be matching in case I get knocked down and a taken to hospital).

harrigran Sun 03-May-15 23:40:16

I wear Sloggi maxis and did buy the hold you in ones but they were not so comfortable, they nipped round the leg holes.

rosesarered Sun 03-May-15 23:45:55

Hmmm, must have a look at these Sloggi Maxis.I always think that these control things must push the unwanted curves somewhere else though, I mean, where does it go?I like a bit of lacy underwear, and can't stand the thought of being in the grip of a elastane Python all day.shock

Coolgran65 Mon 04-May-15 01:17:27

rosesarered I think these control items don't push the curves to anywhere, it's more that all is held just a little firmer. Hysterectomy surgery of 30 years ago left a strange shape to the bottom of my tummy that I'm always aware of. They're not like the strong choking garments of old.

However.... I did try on a similar item today, oh dear.....couldn't be doing with that. Lightweight and comfortable was the description... I'll leave the spectacle to your imagination. Suffice to say I didn't buy it.

loopylou Mon 04-May-15 07:23:37

In my experience so-called 'control ' knickers just squidge the blubber unwanted curves out the top or bottom and are horribly claustrophobic to wear.
I well remember being bodily strangled by a 'control slip' and having to stop in a lay-by on the way home to strip off blush

They're probably fine if you're slim too start with (in which case you won't need one!) but definitely not for me!

Minimiser bras are not much better, on me they make me look as if I'm wearing water wings hmm......

GillT57 Tue 05-May-15 15:52:59

Control knickers as such are ghastly and as someone said, it all has to go somewhere. But that is the really strong, rubbery ones (ooh matron blush. The Sloggi ones are more like really well fitting knickers, just a little bit firmer at the front, all cotton so no horrid sweaty manmade fabrics.

Katek Tue 05-May-15 19:20:35

Tesco do a pack of 2 microfibre seam free shorts for £5/6 which are soooo comfortable, comfiest knickers I've ever had. Now have drawerful in different colours! They do smooth the lumps out a little, but as for control wear....no way! Like LL says, they're fine for thin people to give a nice silhouette, but for those of us with surplus avoirdupois they're a medieval torture device!

loopylou Tue 05-May-15 19:34:04

I found that so-called 'control' knickers rolled down and felt like an abdominal tourniquet shock
I guess me and my avoirdupois (lovely word KateK!) are beyond being 'controlled' by extra strong elastic!

Anne58 Tue 05-May-15 19:54:10

Oh dear, I feel forced to confess that many years ago, a friend and I decided that "Sloggi" sounded like something you might find in your knickers, rather than a brand blush

I truly can't see that word without thinking that thought!

Ana Tue 05-May-15 20:00:09

The mind boggles as to what sort of things you find in your knickers, phoenix! shock

annodomini Tue 05-May-15 20:01:34

Instructions given after diagnosis of hiatus hernia were to avoid tight garments round the middle. No problem, I gave those up many years ago. 'control underwear' only controls what's under them. It's what's below and above that is uncontrollable except perhaps in a wetsuit. grin

Anne58 Tue 05-May-15 20:06:07

Oh Ana shock I can now see how that post may have come across! blush

Katek Tue 05-May-15 22:29:13

Totally off topic, but I once had to peel my DH out of a wetsuit after a charity raft race when the entire crew got smashed. No easy task!

Nelliemoser Tue 05-May-15 22:43:10

It would be good if all the manufactures of these (magic underwear) products read this thread and realised that these much advertised products just do not really work.

As several people have said the "squashed stuff" has to go somewhere.

Ana Tue 05-May-15 23:01:28

They do work if you've just got a bit of a flabby tum but aren't seriously overweight. I would wear a pair of the control-type Sloggis if I ever had to wear a dress, which will probably be never...grin