Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Just got some lovely sheepskin boots (for slippers) but too tight!

(32 Posts)
seacliff Thu 22-Oct-15 14:07:24

Several years ago I got some reduced Emu short sheepskin boots in TKMaxx, which I wear in house. Sooo cosy and warm, but now need replacing.

No way am I buying Uggs or full price Emus for slippers. So I was very pleased to find similar low height boots at Costco (online) Signature by Kirkland . You don't need to be a member. Bargain I think at £29.99. Lovely quality thick sheepskin and good soles, as I pop outside in mine.

However the cut of them is a bit different and I can't get my foot in! I have a high instep. I may struggle again and try but so annoyed, I really want to be able to keep them. Very frustrated.

I recommend them if you have a slimmer flatter foot.

seacliff Thu 22-Oct-15 14:08:29

Should say I got the largest size 8 (I am usually 7.5 but the sheepskin is very thick)

stillhere Thu 22-Oct-15 14:18:15

I've been caught out by bearpaw sheepskin boots for the same reason. I only ever buy boots with a side zip now. My arch is too high. I was looking at the boots the other day - I am going to cut down one side, sew on buttons and a guard flap against draughts, and add elasticated loops or maybe leather ones made out of old leather bootlaces. I shall have to be careful how I cut through the fur lining though.

Alea Thu 22-Oct-15 14:19:22

I too have wide feet and high insteps, total b*gg*r for any boots that need pulling on. Even my wellies can be a struggle!

mcmarvyn Thu 22-Oct-15 14:29:45

Try Foot Duvet from John Lewis - the £15 ones. No irritating tight seam across the top of the foot; unbelievably warm and comfy; says fits size 4-7 but I'm size 8 wide fitting and they are perfect on me. Perfect slipper in winter though the downside is that they dont have an "outdoor" sole, just non-slip grips

seacliff Thu 22-Oct-15 14:30:51

Well at least I know I'm not the only one. I did consider cutting them a little, but it's around the ankle that I struggle, so probably will return them.

seacliff Thu 22-Oct-15 14:34:24

Thanks Mcmarvyn - they look cosy, but I am always in and out so unfortunately wouldn't be tough enough for my way of life. I love wearing real sheepskin with bare feet, so warm and good for your skin.

LyndaW Thu 22-Oct-15 15:38:08

Will they stretch if you wear them in for a bit? If you can return them then maybe an ankle height shoe type slipper instead? Something like ink{https://www.celticandco.com/sheepskin-slippers\www.celticandco.com/sheepskin-slipper]]s} I had UGGs for a while and they were similarly quite snug to get on (and even more so trying to get off!) but were worth it for how cosy they were. Any other material just doesn't compare.

stillhere Thu 22-Oct-15 15:40:44

I'm always in and out too. Freezers, tumbledrier etc. are all outside in outhouses. I am going to use a pair that I bought two years ago from Sainsbury's, I trod on something that went through the sole and made them leak, so they are now condemned to be slippers.

baubles Thu 22-Oct-15 15:49:42

I was given sheepskin slippers last christmas, they look exactly like short boots. Bizarrely, I could pull on the left one easily but was defeated by the right after much huffing and puffing. My DD, who wears the same size as I had a go, followed by my Ds's partner, neither of whom could pull on the right slipper.

I invested in a long shoe horn which did the trick and I'm still having to use it ten months later.

Very odd, but they are the cosiest slippers I've ever owned.

seacliff Thu 22-Oct-15 15:51:31

I have just ordered the Costco sheepskin slippers (mule type) www.costco.co.uk/view/p/kirkland-signature-ladies-shearling-sheepskin-slipper-in-black-size-4-413254_blk_a Just hoping my high instep will fit in them - not as cosy as the boots though.

Re the boots I can't wear them a bit as I can't actually get my foot right in!!! If they had a loop on back of heel, I could pull it and force foot in - may get OH to help. Looking at the size of sole they arelong enough for my feet. The joke is I have hurt my right foot, so won't be forcing that anywhere for a while grin

JessM Fri 23-Oct-15 08:57:46

My son bought me a pair last year made by someone called Brian Killick in NZ. I have used them right through the summer and enjoying not having cold feet any more. Best present I ever had.

magwis Fri 23-Oct-15 09:00:21

Bought the sheepskin slippers from Costco last winter. Lovely and cosy first thing in the morning and wear well.

marpau Fri 23-Oct-15 10:13:35

Matalan had some sheepskin ones last year with outdoor soles looked very similar to uggs not checked if they have them this year

libra10 Fri 23-Oct-15 10:15:37

I only take size 2 shoes, but managed to buy a pair of new sheepskin mules a couple of years ago at Ebay.

They're real sheepskin and I have hand-washed a couple of times. The soul came apart the other day, but my husband glued them back together again.

They're the comfiest slippers I have ever had, and they cost about £8.50, including delivery.

There are probably larger sizes listed also, and they really are a bargain.

tigger Fri 23-Oct-15 10:53:22

They will stretch apparently. I had problems with a pair of boots last year could not get them on. So I bought a ski sock (I think) for about £10 including postage. You just put the sock inside the boot, slide your foot in and then pull the tab on the sock to remove and hey presto your foot slides in. Found it on the internet.

Tegan Fri 23-Oct-15 11:29:29

Crocs now do fur lined shoes...I live in Crocs and have several pairs around the house so that if I go outside in one pair I slip into another when I'm back inside, and wash the outside ones on a regular basis. I bought some cheap'ish Ugg type boots from Clarks years ago that I could never get my feet into but now live in Celtic boots..once I put them on [first day was yesterday] that's it for the rest of the winter #nogoingback

Tish Fri 23-Oct-15 11:44:32

Celtic sheepskin are the best!

Tegan Fri 23-Oct-15 12:21:12

Not sure who it was on here that recommended Celtic Aqualamb boots when I was agonising over whether to buy some, but a big thank you to whoever it was as they are everything they say they are!

seacliff Fri 23-Oct-15 15:17:16

Success !! with OHs' help I got them on (well one foot, other poorly). Once on they fit well, and are so gorgeous and warm, and well made, thich Australian sheepskin, substantial sole, just as good as Uggs in my opinion. £29.99 is such a good price.

I have also ordered the mule sheepskin slippers so good to know you liked them Magwis.

I like the look of Celtic too but at £120 for the shortie boot, I think the Costo is a winner.

The Celtic Aqualamb looks gorgeous, bu I wouldn't get it on my fat calves.

Tegan Fri 23-Oct-15 15:41:13

No one has fatter calves than me sad...I can only wear the shorter one. They often have offers on. I've pretty much lived in my Aqualambs for about three winters now and they're still in good condition. Err; I know you've got yours on but will they come off shock [memories of me in a shoe shop being released from a pair of boots that I'd tried on and couldn't get off].

seacliff Fri 23-Oct-15 15:50:41

lol Tegan - yes they slipped off easily thank goodness. I did have some concerns smile

I bought these for slippers, I understand most Ugg style boots aren't very good in heavy rain or snow.

Maybe I'll contact Celtic and ask for calf measurements of Aqualamb, as they do look gorgeous. Are they good in the ice, or do you have thos Yaxtrax. I have a horror of falling as I broke my wrist badly a few years ago.

shysal Fri 23-Oct-15 16:34:37

www.slippinltd.com/
I think this may be what tigger found. I always have trouble putting on boots, so will probably buy or try to make one.

Tegan Fri 23-Oct-15 22:34:58

I'm the same about slipping, after having a very bad knee a few years ago. I think they might sell things to put on the soles but I feelmore confident walking in my Aqualambs than a lot of things [I live in trainers usually but they are awful when it's icy. Best shoes I've got for when it's slippy are my Doc Martens cause they're designed to be worn in industrial environments.

tigger Sat 24-Oct-15 11:12:42

Yes shysal, that's the one. It doubles as a small bag.