Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Dressing fearlessly: throwing out the style rule book

(168 Posts)
LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 25-Nov-15 10:06:54

Do you care what others think of your dress sense? Are there things you'd like to wear, but don't because of society's 'style rules' for older women?

As we hear from over 40s fashion blogger Catherine Summers on why we shouldn't worry so much about what others think, we'd love to hear from gransnetters too. Do you agree? Or do you tend to think "stuff it" and wear what you want anyway?

janeainsworth Wed 25-Nov-15 16:27:59

granarchist I know what you mean about having that mob tattoosmile

For both my DDs weddings I had a cotton dress from Coast. First time I had s jacket and the second a lace cardigan from Peruvian Connevtoon that I had had for years.
MrA couldn't understand why I had to have a different dress for each weddingshock
I felt that as the dresses hadn't been that expensive I could spend on shoes & other accessories wink

janeainsworth Wed 25-Nov-15 16:29:08

Connection

rosesarered Wed 25-Nov-15 16:59:52

As others say, shape determines really, what we can wear, or carry off properly.Silly to make ourselves look worse, simply because it's fashionable.
The other thing ( for me) is also not wanting that mutton dressed as lamb thing.That doesn't mean wearing 'elderly' clothes, but maybe giving very young fashions a miss.I also avoid anything fussy and frou-frou going more for simple lines.Lastly, comfort is high on my list these days, so wear mainly flats in boots and shoes.

rosesarered Wed 25-Nov-15 17:01:37

I like some pink too, as it suits me, but prefer a pink scarf or jewellery to avoid the blancmange look.grin

rosesarered Wed 25-Nov-15 17:03:34

Nobody wants others to think that they got dressed in the dark!

Alea Wed 25-Nov-15 17:12:03

On which subject. . . . I went to the V&A shoe exhibition last week, involving an early start. Didn't want to wake the DH so got dressed by the light of bedside lamp.
Fortunately I was wearing trousers as when I looked down at my own feet/shoes later in the day, I realised I was wearing one black and one navy knee high blush

thatbags Wed 25-Nov-15 17:29:21

I wear what I want. A few years ago I made trousers out of old curtains. Wore them till they wore out. Got quite a few positive comments. Now what I would call curtain trousers are all the rage. My mum always used to say "Start your own trend". Done.

thatbags Wed 25-Nov-15 17:30:19

Don't suppose anyone else noticed, alea. You wait, wearing odd socks will become The Thing.

rosesarered Wed 25-Nov-15 17:33:07

It's when you wear odd shoes that you need to worry!

rosequartz Wed 25-Nov-15 18:07:49

She's the same age as DD!! (well a bit older!) lol

So - dressing fearlessly can also mean going around dressed like a bag lady if you want to - it just means you don't care what others think

As jings says, it's size that matters, not age.
Personally, I don't like to see obese young women with it all hanging out fearlessly, but I have never dressed like that myself either. Not that I'm obese, just slightly plumper than a size 14 12. grin

rosequartz Wed 25-Nov-15 18:09:04

roses
I went to work in odd shoes once, it was one of the men I worked with who pointed out that, although they were the same style, one was black and one navy.
A new trend wink

janeainsworth Wed 25-Nov-15 18:24:37

When I had to get dressed for work in the half-light I resorted to sewing a bit of turquoise thread in the top of my navy tights so I could tell them from the black ones.

absent Wed 25-Nov-15 18:36:00

I think the only fashion rule I follow is not wearing very short skirts. My legs are far and away my best feature but skirts shorter than about knee length do strike me as being mutton dressed as lamb at my age. I do wear short shorts but only in the privacy of my own garden; otherwise I'll wear cargo pants or similar (or a cool skirt or dress) on very hot days. Generally speaking, I tend to wear much the same sorts of things that I have most of my adult life, jeans being my everyday default. Oh – and a heavily scarred and lumpy tum means that I haven't worn a bikini since I was 21.

loopylou Wed 25-Nov-15 18:36:43

Done that too rosesarered & rosequartz
Same style, one purple, one black....

That's a good idea janea! I'm finding it increasingly difficult to distinguish between black and darker navy, especially in electric light.

rosequartz Wed 25-Nov-15 18:40:11

I have been wearing a cream, red and black striped top with black trousers for quite some time now (not continuously, you understand, I have washed it grin) until I realised the other day it is a cream, red and navy striped top. hmm

It's another new trend

Coolgran65 Wed 25-Nov-15 18:57:17

Referring back to the linked article one of the items not to be seen in is anything 'fur'.
Well... I have a Gerard fur gilet, it comes out each winter and has done for the past 10 years. Never dates and is great over a tunic/sweater when going out and it's not raining. It always get a compliment as looking glamorous - and I do believe these comments are sincere and not tongue in cheek. My friend would soon tell me if it didn't look right.

I also wear sneakers, on my feet at present are Gabor, mid grey suede front and heel with pewter coloured leather sides, and white thick sole. £3 in the local charity shop 'as new' and so comfy.

When at home I dress tidily and matching, at the moment I'm in M & S grey palazzo pants, the Gabor sneakers, and a grey/blue/black tunic from the Hospice Charity shop (David Emmanuelle) and it cost me £3 yesterday. Always wear my earrings and makeup. At any time I could go out to the shops and be presentable. But if going into the city I'd smarten the clothes a little... maybe smarter trousers and add a pashmina.

I default to (not obvious) elastic waists and always comfort.

It's a pride thing, considering that apart from a dentist appointment I haven't been out of the house since last Saturday - must do something about that !!..... dh always is tidy and shaved also.

rosequartz Wed 25-Nov-15 19:05:02

There must be some posh charity shops in your town Coolgran65 grin

thatbags Wed 25-Nov-15 19:25:05

I don't do glamorous. Never have and never will, and what's more I've never wanted to (don't seem to have needed to either). It just wouldn't be me. I don't dislike the glamorous look for other people if that's what they like, but it's not for me.

TriciaF Wed 25-Nov-15 19:39:25

I've always made a few of my clothes and still do. It's a way of having something original. Recently it has been mainly flared trousers, and skirts. I have a few favourite patterns which I've made up several times.
I like to be able to choose my own style and fabric, though fabric choice isn't as good as it used to be.
Good idea to make trousers out of old curtains smile - which someone mentioned. I might try that.

Alea Wed 25-Nov-15 19:45:33

So that is where The Sound of Music got the idea!!grin

rosequartz Wed 25-Nov-15 19:47:38

Be careful though, you could end up looking like Harry Styles

never collapsed a buggy !

My typing si not showing up so I could have typed anything confused

rosequartz Wed 25-Nov-15 19:48:17

ha ha ha

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/showbiz-news/harry-styles-compared-ikea-sofa-10487955

should be the right one this time grin

Ana Wed 25-Nov-15 20:10:14

Ooh, I had some flares like those in the 60s except they had a pink and black pattern! grin

Coolgran65 Wed 25-Nov-15 20:25:54

rosequartz charity shops definitely throw up some gems.

I recall in the 60s have one dress pattern.... It was amazing what could be done with a curtain. At the end of the month I'd buy a piece of cheap fabric. Could make that dress with my eyes shut.

But had only one pair of shoes to go dancing. Flat gold sandals with loads of gold plastic discs on the front.

TriciaF Wed 25-Nov-15 20:41:06

I've looked back on the thread - it was Thatbags' idea - thanks for the inspiration.
And Harry Styles' outfit is really smart - really!