Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Dressing fearlessly: throwing out the style rule book

(168 Posts)
LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 25-Nov-15 10:06:54

Do you care what others think of your dress sense? Are there things you'd like to wear, but don't because of society's 'style rules' for older women?

As we hear from over 40s fashion blogger Catherine Summers on why we shouldn't worry so much about what others think, we'd love to hear from gransnetters too. Do you agree? Or do you tend to think "stuff it" and wear what you want anyway?

rosesarered Tue 05-Jan-16 23:07:40

Tangled up? grin
Well, it may be better to watch a few Clint Eastwood films first, just to perfect that poncho fling to one side, and don't forget the cheroot, and to close one eye in a menacing way.

rosesarered Tue 05-Jan-16 23:09:18

It worked for me, in M&S last week, when I had to take a garment back.

Alea Tue 05-Jan-16 23:19:58

The cheroot or the Colt 45?grin

Coolgran65 Tue 05-Jan-16 23:40:26

Well...I suppose I could force myself to watch few spaghetti westerns with a (gorgeous) young Clint Eastwood

textureonline Thu 09-Nov-17 00:15:16

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Iam64 Thu 09-Nov-17 08:45:23

reported

Nelliemoser Thu 09-Nov-17 09:02:04

I just twigged this was an old thread.

Alexa Tue 19-Dec-17 01:39:47

Headscarfs are more flattering than beanies. The Queen wears head scarfs. Headscarfs aren't just for Muslims and Babushkas.

Mummer Sun 20-Feb-22 10:53:32

As a teen of the 70s I still wear blue /red/green/yellow/pink in fact whatever colour I choose- JEANS!!! And I'm 66 this year, not anywhere near my lifelong size14-16 andhave blossomed(ahem) into a perfectly proportioned size18/20 mostly due to the sky jump bosom that's mysteriously landed on my chest ?!? I dress as I choose, quirky sometimes, dramatic in black others. I've naturally evolved into omwearing monochrome outfits, (all same colour not just b&w) and I must say I get plenty compliments even from complete strangers! I suppose I look 'put together' I've kept smart even in total lockdown and usually put the 'slap'on every day to maximise my still youthful features and flawless skin! I know it's only a matter of time before I'll have to forgo foundation and concentrate on distracting lipstick for dramatic effect! Wear what you feel comfy in be they leggings/shorts/floaty lagenlook/stilettos! We all feel 19 inside, so why not?!?

Mummer Sun 20-Feb-22 10:56:02

Alexa

Headscarfs are more flattering than beanies. The Queen wears head scarfs. Headscarfs aren't just for Muslims and Babushkas.

Headscarves are fab! I only wish I didn't look like a bag lady wearing one!!! I've trawled the web looking for ways to wear but ......still look like bag lady ???

Kim19 Sun 20-Feb-22 11:27:03

I'm a little bit guilty of dressing down if I'm not going anywhere. Suppose I could even be called scruffy sometimes. I find it so convenient for going out into the garden on a whim rather that having to dress down. My criteria is all items next to skin changed daily but outer stuff can go longer. Quite enjoy dressing up for appointments but actually noticed a bit of lethargy with even that after lockdown. Happily, all well now and back to lovely social life. I really enjoy not being a follower of fashion (whatever that fashion is at the moment?!). I do my own thing but prefer to be cheerily colour coordinated with a minimum of black. I'm still managing self control with no new purchasing. Two years four months now. Yippee! Thank heavens I loved my clothes before I started this. Can't seem to find this cash I must have been saving!

Rainbow15 Fri 24-Jun-22 10:12:15

My darling mum was such a beautiful lady. She always had her clothes and accessories coordinating, and ALWAYS wore light coloured nail varnish! We didn’t have lots of money, but she always took pride in her appearance, adding a small amount of make up and definitely light lipstick. My sisters and I were so lucky to have such a wonderful role model, and I try to emulate her as much as possible. Yes, there are days I resemble a bag of washing, but I don’t leave the house looking like that! I’m 60 now, and enjoy all fashions. You know what makes you feel comfortable and what styles and colours you like, so embrace them. If anyone isn’t happy it’s because they’re jealous or boring. Have fun everyone looking fantastic!!!!

Caleo Fri 24-Jun-22 11:48:07

Now I am old and misshapen I am comfortable in only a few styles compared with when I looked ok in most styles. Men and women can dress eclectically as long as they are within the law.

Esspee Fri 24-Jun-22 11:50:37

I have a few friends who are, shall we say, eccentric dressers. Good on them!
Personally I choose to dress according to what I think suits me, nothing to do with my age.

MawtheMerrier Fri 24-Jun-22 12:23:56

As a teen of the 70s I still wear blue /red/green/yellow/pink in fact whatever colour I choose- JEANS!!! And I'm 66 this year, not anywhere near my lifelong size14-16 ..

And?
I was a young mum in the 70’s and getting on for 10 years older than you and yes, I wear jeans. (Denim, white, black, coloured)
I wear bright colours or pastels, monochrome if I feel like it , neutrals too but the bottom line is NOT to succumb to anybody else’s idea of “age appropriate” clothing, but what you look and feel good in.

Maggiemaybe Fri 24-Jun-22 12:33:37

I don't know whether others agree, but I wish GNHQ would do as MN does and stop comments resurrecting really old threads. This one's over 6 years old.

It's not that the topic isn't still relevant. I just feel a bit sad to be reading posts from long gone GNers I used to think of as friends.

And sometimes (not on this thread) I read ancient comments of my own that even I want to take issue with now! grin

Auntieflo Fri 24-Jun-22 16:40:17

Have to agree with you*Maggiemaybe*.
How on earth do folk find these ancient threads?