Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Serums - an expensive waste of money?

(97 Posts)
Anya Sun 06-Mar-16 09:27:04

Every so often I think I ought to make more of an effort. My typical 'beauty' routine is very basic. But a couple of times over the years I've splashed out on face serums, only to find that not only do they not work, for me, but they actually make my skin look older.

Rather than being one of the '84% of woman (out of a sample of 173) agree that this product visibily improved the appearance of wrinkles' I must be one of the 26% who disagree.

Or is it a case of the Emperor's New Clothes?

If revert to my usual basic skin care routine my skin definitely picks up again hmm

grannykent Tue 08-Mar-16 18:38:31

I do use a serum -a lancome one and their moisturisers -I know they are more expensive than other brands but I buy them when on offer and often the cheaper brands do not contain as much serum /moisturiser in each tube as lancome so it does last longer. I take more care of my skin since retiring as I simply have more time and do not feel as exhausted at bedtime as when working as a reception teacher so do cleanse thoroughly - love liz earle hot cloth cleanser - and apply serum/moisturiser . I do agree that though having an unwelcome weight problem in some areas it does help out with the wrinkles on the face ! Also like everything genes plays a huge part I remember taking my mother out for her 70th birthday and the owner taking me aside to make sure it was not her 60th birthday.I will give the Aldi one a try when my current one runs out.

adaunas Tue 08-Mar-16 18:59:56

Used the Boots one for weeks, under moisturiser as instructed but despite my best efforts, it didn't really improve things at all. Was given it for next birthdays as well so I carried on using it, but my cheeks are definitely more wrinkled now. Tend to use Olay, but will try the ALDI one.

Maggiemaybe Tue 08-Mar-16 20:03:52

I use whatever's on offer, or whatever I'm given as a present. At the moment that's Sanctuary Spa's Therapist's Secret Facial Oil and it's fabulous. Apparently it's 99% organic. The only trouble is that I'm not altogether sure it's mine - it's on my bathroom shelf but could be one that one of my DDs or my DDIL has left behind. Yes, I really should ask round, but it's so good... smile I must confess I use more than the 2 drops recommended - my neck alone needs more than that!

f77ms Tue 08-Mar-16 20:16:05

I think it is more to do with the skin you inherit rather than which moisturiser you use . My Mum had fantastic skin with no wrinkles even in her 80`s . Sadly I inherited my Dads blotchy skin. I don`t have many wrinkles but it is bone dry and blotchy .
Good foundation (Lancôme) hides a multitude of sins and any moisturiser slapped on twice a day helps a little . I have never used a serum , too expensive !
After reading some of the comments I will give the Aldi one a go .

harrysgran Tue 08-Mar-16 20:52:55

I started using dr organic snail gel serum about a year ago and I must admit I have seen a difference in my skin texture it's clearer and fresher looking I wouldn't stop using it now I did for a couple of weeks and my skin looked quite dull.

harrysgran Wed 09-Mar-16 07:38:08

Wilmaknickersfit snail serum products are sold in Holland and Barrett not as wacky as you might think and brilliant for sensitive excema prone skin so no harm done to the snails ?

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 09-Mar-16 08:35:39

I take it back, in fact I might even give the Holland and Barrett range a try! blush

It looks interesting and there's clinical trials into using snail slime on burns (at least one small trial was on facial burns). It can speed up healing and reduce pain - it is full of things that are good for your skin. I don't know about anti aging, but in theory it should keep your skin looking fresh. The reviews on H&B are pretty good and it's not that expensive either compared with other serums like the Boots one.

I live and learn. grin

annsixty Wed 09-Mar-16 09:06:45

Will there be enough snails if all us/we oldies start using it?
They will be put on overtime!!

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 09-Mar-16 11:37:50

According to the video on H&B, the slime comes from a snail farms set up to help them mate and protect their habitat. Originally through, the Chilean workers who noticed the benefits of the snail secretions on the skin of their hands, worked on a snail farm set up to breed snails for food. The only bit I'm a bit uneasy about is the snails are given hormones to make them want to breed and as a veggie I'm not sure about that. The reason why they do this is because the secretions are normally produced when the snails are stressed. I suppose the snails are happy! grin

Anya Wed 09-Mar-16 13:06:02

Well I've never seen a wrinkly snail I must admit grin

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 09-Mar-16 15:50:40

Well, as of today I can say that I have seen snails mating and that image will stick in my mind! shock

Seriously though, the reason the snail secrete the slime is so it can slither over rough/sharpish surfaces. It has healing properties. Don't think it improves it's speed though! grin

Spindrift Wed 09-Mar-16 16:02:23

I use a serum, but just one from Aldi & it has made a difference to my skin, it feels so much smoother

AnnieGran Wed 09-Mar-16 16:17:11

Round these parts my farming friends swear by udder cream. Look it up on the internet.

whitewave Wed 09-Mar-16 16:36:05

My mother uses udder cream. My sister orders it on line for her.

Nelliemoser Wed 09-Mar-16 17:46:24

I have just read Anyas link
www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/03/what-is-face-serum_n_6761412.html

We really need to read what is said on the advert carefully there are key words here.

Face serums are lightweight moisturizers that penetrate deeper to deliver active ingredients into your skin. "By leaving out many of the heavier ingredients that are found in traditional moisturizers, [face serums] contain a much higher proportional concentration of active ingredients," says Dr. Carlos A. Charles, founder and medical director of Derma di Colore in Chelsea.*
Celebrity makeup artist Kristofer Buckle believes that using a serum regularly can give your skin a firmer, smoother texture, make pores appear smaller and increase moisture levels.*

The key words which here are Dr Carlos says and Kristofer Buckle believes these help. There is no mention of any scientific studies that back up these claims that these potions actually work any better than other simpler and less expensive products

Sanctuary Spa's Therapist's Secret Facial Oil and it's fabulous.
The main ingredient is Sunflower oil and various other oils.

Ingredients: Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Rosa Canina Fruit Oil, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Boswellia Carterii Oil, Rosa Centifolia Flower Water, Geraniol, Citronellol, Linalool, Rosa Damascena Flower Oil, Limonene.

Read more at www.boots.com/en/Sanctuary-Spa-Therapist-Secret-Facial-Oil_1711787/#GiCEtwS7s93hI5BQ.99

This product sells at £17:50 for 30 mls.
A litre of sunflower oil in Asda is £2.94.
Extortionate comes to my mind.

AnnieGran Wed 09-Mar-16 19:06:55

Whitewave: udder cream - I haven't tried it yet, still using pots and tubes of stuff I got for Christmas. What were they all telling me?

whitewave Wed 09-Mar-16 19:15:36

grin

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 09-Mar-16 19:23:59

AnnieGran doubt if they're being rude! grin

The Udder products are fantastic moisturisers for the face and body, although some people find the face products too heavy for their skin, even the lighter weight products. They don't help with ageing though.

annsixty Wed 09-Mar-16 20:09:16

Is the udder cream, cream that has been manufactured for sore udders or a byproduct found by accident as lanolin was as a byproduct of sheep fleece? Does anyone know?

Anya Wed 09-Mar-16 22:33:28

Blimey - udder cream? That's as thick a cream as you could ever get. We used to plaster it on the horses' legs for protection, but try getting the blasted stuff off!

But then you can't seriously be talking about the udder cream used by farmers for their livestock ....surely!

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 09-Mar-16 23:39:59

Sort of! It's based on the original Bag Balm Anya that was used on udders (and many other things), but it's only supposed to be used on animals. A long time ago farmers' wives started using it when they realised it kept hands soft and it went from there. It's like a cream WD40! grin

Now there's several companies like MooGoo and Udderly Smooth that do ranges for use on humans based around an udder cream.

pennwood Thu 10-Mar-16 08:58:03

Think it is a combination of eating a good diet, genes & a proper beauty routine of cleansing & moisturising. I won a serum value £200 which Kylie Minogue uses & it was lovely, but no better than Boots Protect & Perfect! I have done testing for Boots, & it is surprising how products can vary especially if they suit you. Aldi beauty product are excellent & very reasonably priced, so I think it is better to use a product you are happy with than listen to all the hype.

tiredoldwoman Sun 03-Apr-16 16:51:30

I month later - my Serum Report ! Lacura Expert Intensive Beautifying Serum is great . My skin's now smooth , my rosacea has calmed , I've still got my thread veins- but they're easier to cover up now. My face has firmed , cheekbones are looking good ! Well done, Aldi !

AnnieWood Mon 07-Nov-16 07:18:11

Not every product delivers the results they promise on the ads. And when it comes to choosing the best for the skin which is already aging people end up buying the wrong things mostly. My sister did the same thing long back. Her face became very rough and patchy. One of her friends suggested her to try the skin care products from Image SkinCare(https://www.imageskincare.com/), Murad and Lancome. And the results were noticeable within a month

Christinefrance Mon 07-Nov-16 08:21:31

I have started using a serum over the last year and it has definitely improved the appearance of my skin. Even my husband commented ( that's a first ) . My moisturiser lasts longer as less needed. I don't spend a lot on myself otherwise so try not to feel guilty about the cost, I love all the Clarins products.