Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Serums - an expensive waste of money?

(97 Posts)
Anya Sun 06-Mar-16 09:27:04

Every so often I think I ought to make more of an effort. My typical 'beauty' routine is very basic. But a couple of times over the years I've splashed out on face serums, only to find that not only do they not work, for me, but they actually make my skin look older.

Rather than being one of the '84% of woman (out of a sample of 173) agree that this product visibily improved the appearance of wrinkles' I must be one of the 26% who disagree.

Or is it a case of the Emperor's New Clothes?

If revert to my usual basic skin care routine my skin definitely picks up again hmm

Soupy Fri 09-Feb-18 19:52:15

I really like the Superdrug own brand products and have used their serum followed by day cream on my face for years. The serum is lovely and allows the day cream to go on my skin without dragging.
I also like their big tubs of Vitamin E body cream as it's non sticky and is often on offer.

seacliff Tue 30-Jan-18 20:49:01

Over the years I've stopped using moisturiser,. I just use Superdrug Naturally Radiant 2 in 1 Moisturiser & Serum, £5.99 (and get 2nd free). It really is good for my skin. It sinks in well, feels soft and skin is wrinkle free, and not all clogged up. I don't use a night cream.

I also use their eye brighening cream occasionally, and I love their Hot Cloth Cleanser - very like Liz Earle but so much cheaper.

harrysgran Sat 27-Jan-18 20:30:33

Just purchased the new serum from Lidl the hype says it's as good as la prairie a very expensive one so I'm hoping for results at under £4worth a try

RP888 Thu 11-Jan-18 19:47:11

Luckylegs9 - That's awful!! I work in Boots (Sedley Place, 361 Oxford St in London) and you'd be more than welcome to come in and see us, we'll happily pamper you with some lovely free samples to try! flowers

That goes for everyone, if you've not tried a serum before, pop in and see us.

Luckylegs9 Mon 08-Jan-18 17:19:36

I have tried serum but it didn't make a bit if difference, I mentioned it to the assistant in a certain chemist, the young assistant said, I know but it doesn't work miracles. She obviously thought anything girl me would be a waste if time. Didn't I feel good.

Fennel Mon 08-Jan-18 15:38:42

ps I'm not an agent for the brand, but it does seem to have some good qualities.

Fennel Mon 08-Jan-18 15:37:41

Yesterday I burnt my wrist by stupidly releasing steam from some microwaved vegetables.
I ran cold water onto it for a short time, then applied a little ialuset cream.
It was very painful for an hour or 2, but gradually the pain went, and there are no blisters, which I would definitely have had otherwise.
I've looked on Google and it can be used to treat burns.
I wonder if those of you who bought it have had any positive results?

valeriej43 Sat 30-Dec-17 17:50:05

Just had a scroll through this thread, I find Aldi creams really good ,I use the Caviar ones and you can feel the difference when you apply them,
I got a small pack of the serums when they first came out but didn't notice a difference
I am interested in the Ialuset one though
Would love to hear your verdict on it,gettingonabit

Maggiemaybe Wed 20-Dec-17 08:40:08

A resurrected thread! Interesting though as we can say whether our recommendations are working long-term.

I must say I'm still using facial oil daily and my dry skin is definitely much better for it. I decided not to try the udder cream or Asda's sunflower oil.

Fennel Wed 20-Dec-17 07:57:34

ps when I used ialuset cream on a wound the doctor told me to only use a tiny bit.

Fennel Wed 20-Dec-17 07:25:19

Ialuset cream contains hyaluronic acid, which seems to be able to regenerate human tissues.
It's also being used for injecting into joints damaged by osteoarthritis - husband has just had this injection.

Poppyred Wed 20-Dec-17 07:11:37

You forgot to tell us the name of it??

corkychum Mon 11-Dec-17 14:52:02

Hmm. The Ordinary Buffet serum (available from Victoria Health for about £12) does seem to make my skin smoother, but is it better than moisturiser alone? I'm not sure - I just use it in winter. I've used Nivea Q10 for about 30 years (I'm 64) and people tell me I look a lot younger - happy days! Just bear in mind that the whole purpose of the skin is to keep bad stuff out, so nothing "penetrates at a cellular level" or other such guff ...

Deedaa Mon 06-Feb-17 22:09:49

DD gave me an Aldi Advent calendar which had a selection of different serums. I must say that by Christmas my skin did look better, but I don't know that I could faff about with it all the time.

rozina Mon 06-Feb-17 12:38:37

Got the most fabulous serum - Vichy Liftactiv serum 10. Makes my face feel fantastic, takes all the dryness away and fabulous perfume. Could do with a box full (are you listening Vichy)!

Mirandaf55 Mon 06-Feb-17 11:43:05

I use the Forever Living serum from their Sonya skin care range and it's gorgeous! A little goes a long way, even without moisturiser on top, it smells delicious and leaves my skin feeling silky. About £30 a bottle but lasts about 3-4 months. Good for sensitive skins too!

gettingonabit Sun 13-Nov-16 09:05:39

My Laluset has arrived. Instructions all in French! Hope I'm using it right....

paddyann Sat 12-Nov-16 21:52:46

I like to make the best of myself,I was never a beauty but always had good skin.I use Elemis products which I buy from QVC ,the prices are good and I think they work .Anyway I regularly get told I look far too young to have a daughter in her 30's ,the best one was my gynaecologist who insisted he had the wrong birthdate for me ,and said HRT wouldn't make me look 20 years younger than the 15 years younger he thought I looked.Whether he meant it or not I accepted it .I'll keep using the products ...lol

gettingonabit Mon 07-Nov-16 10:51:38

Just ordered some laluset. Proper concentrated HA-thanks to the poster who suggested it.

I think everyone's skin can look a little better with some care.

Jayanna9040 Mon 07-Nov-16 10:24:43

Nah. Beyond redemption I think?

Jayanna9040 Mon 07-Nov-16 09:59:18

Have just applied face peel from one of those little free sachets. Says leave ten minutes then wash off. Will let you know.......

Christinefrance Mon 07-Nov-16 08:21:31

I have started using a serum over the last year and it has definitely improved the appearance of my skin. Even my husband commented ( that's a first ) . My moisturiser lasts longer as less needed. I don't spend a lot on myself otherwise so try not to feel guilty about the cost, I love all the Clarins products.

AnnieWood Mon 07-Nov-16 07:18:11

Not every product delivers the results they promise on the ads. And when it comes to choosing the best for the skin which is already aging people end up buying the wrong things mostly. My sister did the same thing long back. Her face became very rough and patchy. One of her friends suggested her to try the skin care products from Image SkinCare(https://www.imageskincare.com/), Murad and Lancome. And the results were noticeable within a month

tiredoldwoman Sun 03-Apr-16 16:51:30

I month later - my Serum Report ! Lacura Expert Intensive Beautifying Serum is great . My skin's now smooth , my rosacea has calmed , I've still got my thread veins- but they're easier to cover up now. My face has firmed , cheekbones are looking good ! Well done, Aldi !

pennwood Thu 10-Mar-16 08:58:03

Think it is a combination of eating a good diet, genes & a proper beauty routine of cleansing & moisturising. I won a serum value £200 which Kylie Minogue uses & it was lovely, but no better than Boots Protect & Perfect! I have done testing for Boots, & it is surprising how products can vary especially if they suit you. Aldi beauty product are excellent & very reasonably priced, so I think it is better to use a product you are happy with than listen to all the hype.