Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Volumiser for thinning fine hair -??

(76 Posts)
maturefloosy Wed 16-Mar-16 14:22:41

I've always had fine hair but now I am older it is also thinning - - anyone recommend a good product to give volume and shine to older hair. I use the normal shampoo and conditioners for volume and I use Morroccan oil / argan oil already but wondered if there was something else wonderful out there - -

lilihu Fri 18-Mar-16 09:59:40

Having had quite luxuriant hair in my youth, it came as a bit of a shock when my hair started thinning. After much trying and eliminating, I currently use any ordinary shampoo, followed by a small amount of John Frieda Luxurious Volume. After towel drying, I use a golf ball sized blob of John Frieda Volume Building Mousse. These products have made a visible difference that my friends have noticed. As you only need to use small amounts, they last for ages. Sold at most supermarkets.
Good luck with your trials!

TheMaggiejane1 Fri 18-Mar-16 10:02:55

I have fine hair but need to use a conditioner because it gets very tangled otherwise. I use Elvive Fibrology which is for fine hair. I shampoo once then use conditioner for a few minutes. After I've rinsed the conditioner off I wipe a tiny bit of shampoo over my hair and then rinse again. I find that gives me the benefits of using conditioner but it doesn't weigh my hair down. Since using the Elvive my hair is better than it's ever been.

inishowen Fri 18-Mar-16 10:07:43

Has anyone tried a powder that you sprinkle on your hair? It's in different shades to match your hair, and is supposed to cover your scalp. I know you can buy it on line, but I'd love to get it in a shop. Any ideas where you'd get it?

Nona4ever Fri 18-Mar-16 10:09:17

I wonder if the Philip Kingsley product you're thinking of is his Elasticizer? It is WONDERFUL! not cheap - maybe about £30 - but I'm just coming to the nd of my first pot and I've been using it for about a year. Wet hair, comb product through, sit in shower cap for about half an hour, then rinse and shampoo. Bingo! My hair looks almost bouffant and has the most wonderful shine and texture. I don't need to use it every time I shampoo although the instructions suggest this. They've just brought a new version out perfumed with, er, geranium, but I reckon I'll stick with the original life-changer.

sussexoldbag Fri 18-Mar-16 10:09:32

I swear by Kerastase products. Bit pricey but they last ages.

Jeanie1953 Fri 18-Mar-16 10:12:46

Philip Kingsley range is brilliant pricey but does what it says on the bottle. It has something in the range for most hair types. Can be bought on line or large Marks and Spencer's have it.

oldgoose Fri 18-Mar-16 10:14:31

I use Toppix. You can buy it on line and it's a fine powder - you choose the colour closest to your own hair colour and just sprinkle some on your scalp where it shows through. Instant thicker looking hair and everyone asks if I have coloured my hair. It'snot cheap but it does wonders for your confidence. My hair is very thin on top - it's genetic sadly.

yulle87 Fri 18-Mar-16 10:32:39

I have tried so many different things to cope with my thinning flat hair. I find that using a scalp conditioner is very important. Philip Kingsley does a good one. Then use a good mild shampoo, and a light conditioner on dry ends only. For styling and volume there is a huge choice but my latest find - and this is fantastic - is "Max The Volume" by TRESemme". You can buy it from Boots and it is not expensive. It is a hairspray so you use it after you have dried and styled your hair. Miraculous result, but it s a bit drying so don't use it every day.

KatyK Fri 18-Mar-16 10:37:00

There is a female hair loss blog on here to which people have added hints and tips - if that is of any help to anyone.

Gloria57 Fri 18-Mar-16 10:48:44

I also have very fine short hair and I never use conditioner, but I do have it cut every four weeks. I swear by Aussie volume shampoo which is a bit more expensive but on short hair one bottle lasts for ages, so better value in the long run.

KatyK Fri 18-Mar-16 11:25:38

Although the blog may have dropped off the radar by now.

Sulis Fri 18-Mar-16 11:40:50

I have been using L'Oreal's Serioxyl for about a year and a half. My hairline had started to recede at the sides of my widow's peak and this meant my fringe was getting so thin I could hardly have one and my scalp was starting to show. After 3 months of using it every night before I went to bed there is now very visible regrowth and the fringe is almost completely back. It isn't cheap at £25 a bottle from the hairdresser but a bottle lasts me 3 months. Once you have regrowth, you have to top up about three times a week but what a fab difference it has made.

Juggernaut Fri 18-Mar-16 11:52:33

Kiehls Ultimate Thickening Shampoo is wonderful, £19 a bottle, but lasts for ages, and is suitable for daily use!

nanaGill Fri 18-Mar-16 13:01:15

I tried using Serioxyl after a friend recommended it. Oh dear!! It smelt horrible and made my scalp so dry that I had dandruff for weeks afterwards. So I have the full range - shampoo, conditioner and mousse sitting in a cupboard unused. Might try some of the other products mentioned above

Diny Fri 18-Mar-16 13:26:25

I have very thin hair but since I started using the Aveda shampoo it looks a lot healthier. As someone said, it is not cheap (about £22) but well worth the money as it works and lasts quite a long time.

Napoleon Fri 18-Mar-16 13:26:51

Having tried all the aforementioned products, some of which were OK, nothing really performed consistently. I am now taking Silicea capsules, which contain most of the essential minerals our hair, skin and nails are made from, my fine hair at present does have the appearance and texture of thicker hair. I took Imedeen for many years when I could afford to, it made a small difference.

LesleyC Fri 18-Mar-16 14:00:29

I use Aveda Pure Abundance shampoo and occasionally Pure Abundance conditioner. I find the shampoo slightly drying, so mix it with a blob of Pantene Age Defying shampoo, which is quite creamy. I use a very small amount of serum after shampooing instead of a conditioner, which doesn't make it go limp, but adds a bit of shine and keeps the frizzy bits down. My hair isn't too thin apart from hereditary thinning at both sides of my hair line above my forehead. It doesn't show to anyone else as the rest of my hair covers it, but I know it is thin underneath. Last year I tried using Regaine lotion and as it said it might take several months to promote growth I persevered. After 3 bottles of it, I did see new growth. Unfortunately I stopped using it as I was on holiday for a month and didn't want to bother. I am going to start again though.

Stella14 Fri 18-Mar-16 15:24:23

Fear not, it comes to many of us, but we live in the age of good products. I recommend two. Both work well. I recommend buying both as they are quite different, and when you run out, go with the one that works best for you. The first is Label.M Thickening Cream, the second is TIGi Bed Head Queen For A Day. The Label.M is intended to work with heat. Specifically, a spot of blow drying. The heat activates something in it which produces nice volume, and apparent thickening, in the hair. Queen for a day works without heat, but can definately benefit from some. I prefer the Label.M cream if I have time, or can be bothered using a dryer, but I have Queen For a Day for busy or lazy days.

grandma60 Fri 18-Mar-16 18:54:44

Angela1961 My friend who lives on the Isle of Wight, where Liz Earle is a big employer told me that Liz Earle sold the business side of the company to Avon so that she would have more time to be involved in issues such as Fair Trade. Since then it has been sold on to Boots. Liz is still the majority share holder so the products have not changed. Good news! as I felt the same as you!

Claudiaclaws Fri 18-Mar-16 18:55:56

Hi, I use Charles Worthington Volumising shampoo and conditioner.
I think they are excellent products. I usually buy from Boots, and they quite often have a buy 2 get one free. They definitely work. I think one needs to use conditioner, just not too much.

maturefloosy Fri 18-Mar-16 21:48:20

Thankyou all for those great suggestions! -- I think maybe I have used too much conditioner and product on my hair out of habit.! Will definitely be trying some of the new products suggested and less conditioner - I need some to detangle my shoulder length hair after washing - but the Tigi range sounds interesting and Philip Kingsley, Aveda, Label M thickening creme -- ooh! and all the others -- thanks you Gransnetters.! wine

Maralyn7272 Fri 18-Mar-16 23:57:29

My hair is getting quite thin although I've always had thick hair before. I've also got psoriasis very badly on my scalp. I've tried so many different liquids, creams and shampoos that my doctor has prescribed, but nothing helps. I can't wear dark colours as my shoulders are always covered in white dust - and it's worse than dandruff. If anyone can suggest anything I'd be very grateful please??

Dartzie62 Sat 19-Mar-16 11:51:02

This has been amazing to read.
I have the same problem of thinning hair, after having lots when I was younger! But I had a terrible infection on the top of my head with has left me with a bald spot, I am very conscious of it, and am terrified it will get worse.
I would love a product to help regrowth; anyone know of anything I could use?

maturefloosy Sun 20-Mar-16 20:10:37

So - - off I went - armed with all the lovely suggestions from the expert GNers and for some wierd reason ended up buying Tresemme Max the Volume body and bounce styling creme and Max the Volume Hairspray. It is fantastic on my hair --made it feel stronger, bouncier, healthier and held my shoulder length style all day - didn't go flat or straight like it usually does. Didn't buy the shampoo as I have lots of others still but will be trying that too once I get down my stock. grin

maturefloosy Sun 20-Mar-16 20:12:52

Sorry Dartzie62* - wasn't ignoring you - - I saw a product in Boots today that was to help regrowth but cannot remember the name of it - - that doesn't help you though does it?? sorry! smile