Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Volumiser for thinning fine hair -??

(76 Posts)
maturefloosy Wed 16-Mar-16 14:22:41

I've always had fine hair but now I am older it is also thinning - - anyone recommend a good product to give volume and shine to older hair. I use the normal shampoo and conditioners for volume and I use Morroccan oil / argan oil already but wondered if there was something else wonderful out there - -

Lisa63 Fri 17-May-19 20:57:58

Try toppik fibres to add to hair or go the whole way buy a real hair "topper"... partial clip in hairpiece that is undetectable.. i should know i wear one and im very vain

Onestepbeyond Mon 04-Mar-19 14:37:21

I found oils to be too heavy unless completely washed out

I use Kevin murphy products amazing, so light and smell delicious

They don't contain anything nasty either

KitKatt Thu 06-Dec-18 10:03:59

Pantene never worked for me as volumizer, was using it just as hair cleaner. Then I used Nioxin for several months, it helped me with hair loss, but it didn't work well as a hair cleaner for me, because my hair is very oily. After reading this article I've tried Kenra Volumising Set and SheaMoisture Kids. Kenra made my hair smooth and volumized, did well with grease too. Shea worked fine too, loved the mango and carrot smell, though my hair was feeling sticky right after using this shampoo. Still using Kenra.

overthehill Thu 25-Oct-18 20:36:48

I have used Nioxin in the past and it seems to improve matters at first, but then seemed to stop working.

Be very careful about bargains on ebay for their products, only buy from hairdressers which stock it. I bought some from ebay as it seemed a bargain, but as I had used it before, I could tell it wasn't genuine stuff. I complained and no quibble they refunded me.

Poppyred Wed 24-Oct-18 17:50:46

Pantene for fine hair works for me - together with Moroccan oil dry texture spray followed by toppik hair fibres in what ever colour your hair is to hide any bald bits! ??

BBbevan Wed 24-Oct-18 17:29:49

My hair isn't thinning but has never been abundant. Recently , in a bid to reduce plastic, I bought a shampoo bar from Lush. It seems to make my hair thicker and smells gorgeous. Not a cure by any means but lovely.

valeriej43 Wed 24-Oct-18 13:34:34

I have very thinning hair, and just bought some Watermans hair growth shampoo, from Groupon, it has very good reviews on Amazon, so worth a try, it was £9=95 [but cheaper on Groupon,than it usually is and quite a big bottle,

Jessity Sun 14-Oct-18 16:42:51

My fine, limp, flat, straight hair has been a pain all my adult life. I've found a very good hairdresser so at last have a good cut (short layered bob) and high/low lights all of which help. She explained that as we age, each individual hair gets thinner.

I used Philip Kingsley for ages but am now using Kerastase Volumifique range - shampoo, gel treatment conditioner and volume expansion blow dry spray. And masses of hair spray to finish. On a good day this works. If it rains or is even damp, my hair simply collapses!

The Kerastase was expensive (Amazon) and although you only need a small amount, I'm not sure it's worth it. I'll be trying some of the suggestions above.

Somehow it helps to know I'm not alone with flat, limp hair!

Bossyrossy Wed 10-Oct-18 13:10:58

I use Panten volumising shampoo and conditioner, seems to work. Just use the conditioner on the ends of your hair, not scalp. My hair is fine and fairly thick but I’m sure it falls out more than it used to.

travelsafar Sat 25-Aug-18 08:17:46

I have started to use Elvive shampoo and conditioner for thin hair and it has made a difference to my hair.I find the second day my hair has volume, bounce and just feels thicker. It is sold in the blue bottles in their range and i would certainly recomend it to anyone.

kikihair Mon 20-Aug-18 04:15:58

I will stop using conditioner now, I think it makes the hair very thin. There are lots of organic products that we can try.

DaisyMig Tue 30-Jan-18 23:15:04

I have very fine, silky, flat hair that if left to itself is limp, flyaway and lifeless. With aging my hair now has two textures - the coloured hair is as before but the white hair is much coarser although still very straight and flat.
My hair is also much dryer than it was in my youth, when it was rather greasy.

I’ve tried loads of different brands of shampoo and conditioner over the years, all unsatisfactory in the end. Except for Aussie which is brilliant! I use Aussie shampoo and conditioner every 2nd or 3rd day, with occasional use of the 3 Minute Miracle conditioner if my hair is especially dry or hopeless. These products don’t weigh down the hair at all, they leave it lovely and soft and shiny. I also use a hot brush hairdryer to add volume as I dry and have just bought a hot styling brush to use between washes instead of tongs. None of these things give me ‘big hair’ but they do add some volume and body, which makes styling easier, and the hot brushes are much kinder to the hair than tongs. And Elnette hairspray helps to maintain it all day.

Another brand which I use occasionally is Lush - they do a shampoo called Big which is brilliant for fine flat hair, every bit as good as Aussie and does add some volume. They also do conditioners - I’ve used Veganese several times and find it good, although I have to use a little more of it than the Aussie conditioner.

I recommend both Lush and Aussie.

Poppyred Fri 10-Nov-17 08:25:34

Moroccanoil Dry Texture Spray is brilliant for adding texture to fine wispy hair

UkeCan61 Mon 18-Jul-16 17:00:40

I use Superdrug Curl Cream. You use it after shampooing and leave it in. I don't have curly hair but it seems to give it some body. Also Lush do shampoo bars for added volume. I use the seaweed one - it's blue and lasts for ages.

Jaxie Wed 11-May-16 08:47:46

Lots if good advice: I cut out the conditioner, use Aveda thickener, then Aussie Dual Personality Aussome Volume + Conditioner Mousse, take Silicea capsules and I've really seen the difference.

whitewave Tue 10-May-16 09:09:18

My hair was always fine and flyaway. It thinned a lot in my 60s but seems to have stopped now. Just as well as I would have been bald.

gettingonabit Tue 10-May-16 09:05:02

I love Nioxin too.

The only thing that REALLY works for me, though, is highlights. I have short layered choppy hair and it's the only style that works, providing I have highlights. Highlights make the hair more porous and bulk it up, strand by strand.

I also use thickening powders which are readily available in stores. You only need a tiny bit to bulk up hair.

Caramac Tue 10-May-16 07:07:00

I use nioxin shampoo and conditioner and also take zinc tablets. Nioxin is recommended by trichologists. I get mine at cost as my daughter owns her salon but it's also available on eBay. There are different ones though so be careful eg for fine hair, noticeably thinning hair. Each have different numbers. A good cut helps which is easier to achieve if you have short hair.

Linsco56 Mon 09-May-16 20:05:16

My hair is fine and I wear it in a layered bob. I use John Frieda volumising shampoo and John Frieda volumising blow dry lotion spray. What I have found works well for me my GHD natural bristle barrel brush and I blow dry my roots in the opposite direction for a few mins and then blow dry my hair in the direction I want it to lie. It really does lift the root without too much pulling (scared of losing any more!)

Wilks Mon 09-May-16 18:53:03

I used Philip Kingsley products for years and was quite happy, but have changed to Liz Earle which is very natural. I think my hair is fuller. It takes a few weeks for your hair to get used to it so you shouldn't be discouraged if initial results are a bit disappointing. Glad I stuck with it.

Grannyjacq1 Sun 17-Apr-16 14:51:34

Continued -
Have also tried Nioxin products which so far have been very good. I am trying out the Nioxin Hair System kit for fine hair which includes a shampoo, conditioner and scalp treatment. I am also trying the bodyfying foam - which is their equivalent of a mousse/styling product. They also make one for 'noticeably thinning hair' which would be good for anyone with a major problem. Results in 4 weeks apparently so will report back - but so far I have been impressed.

Grannyjacq1 Wed 13-Apr-16 12:30:37

Pantene 'Volume and Body' products seem to be good as a fairly inexpensive way of adding volume to lank locks. I have tried the shampoo and conditioner with very good results, and there are probably other products in this range.

Perdita33 Tue 22-Mar-16 13:48:17

Thanks for the tip about not using conditioner. I tried it and my hair is vastly improved, lots more body. Usually would need washing after a couple of days, but this morning it didn't need washing. To think of all the years I've been wasting money on conditioner!

WilmaKnickersfit Sun 20-Mar-16 23:20:55

Just wanted to add that many new products for thinning hair are designed to help you hang on to the hair you have, rather than bulking up the hair. I don't think our hair gets thinner, but it can look thinner because some of your hair starts dropping out when it's still quite short. We're actually losing hair and that can be partially genetic and/or hormonal too. We don't get hair loss like men do, with receding hairlines, etc. Hair loss in women tends to happen more generally all over the scalp. Different things will work for different people, but a conversation with your GP could be helpful.

MeggyMay Sun 20-Mar-16 22:41:11

Try washing your hair using a teaspoon of baking soda in a mugful of warm water. I've been using it for around eighteen months. My hair is shiny and manageable and frequently draws compliments. About once a fortnight I massage a small amount of warm castor oil into my scalp (not a lot) and wrap a warm towel round my head for half an hour before washing my hair.