Kitty pink is a work in progress.
some sport teams are now wearing pink shirts, so I think there is a glimmer of hope but that is a little way off yet
.
(My DF often wore pink or other pastel colours)
DH has himself suggested a polo shirt,
but I was concerned that it would be too casual.
Perhaps you're right and it is the way to go.
Gransnet forums
Style & beauty
Realistic fashion advice
(109 Posts)I've just looked through the advice GN offers to over 50s on how to wear certain fashions, so why do all the models look like lovely slim women in their 30s? Surely this site should offer us some more realistic images to give us some good suggestions - you certainly can't find them anywhere else.
I'm mid 60s, 5' 2" and overweight, I'm not frumpy but would love to look a little more stylish but no one offers realistic images. Through reading comments from GNs I discovered the joy of legging/jeggins and tunics and actually got some very positive comments from people when I started wearing them. We all seem to know that we need longish tunics that cover tummy and bum but all the images are of slim women with waistlines like I had 30 years ago.
Does anyone agree with me that we'd like GN to offer us something more realistic, I think their images could be from MN? Maybe GN could be a trendsetter here and who knows the media may start to notice we exist!
Hey everyone....Camel hoof area ?
Pink shirt with rolled back sleeves. I love Dh in pink shirts (well, he's quite nice most of the time!) or a nice bright coloured (possibly new) polo shirt (possibly JL?)
Just an update re my Summer birthday party.
I have bought a lovely Top from Wallis (on t'internet).
It is black with a pink orchid sprig across front.
It has capped sleeves and slight ruching over tummy area.
Also long enough to cover the camel hoof area.
Going to wear with off white M&S trousers
Hopefully a pair of moshulu wedge sandals.
Handbag sorted as a pervious birthday present from my sister, whose summer party we are going in July.
So thank you all for your advice.
Now on to DHs smart but casual attire.
He has decided to wear beige/light brown summer weight trouser with similar colour shoe
But not sure about top half,
Being recently retired he doesn't want to wear an office colour shirt (white, blue or cream).
He also is not a fan of checked shirts.
So my trusty GNers advice please.
Bloody phone DEFUZZER thingy!!
Me too Maw??
woolovers defender thingy??
What am I missing?
now, can I get away with orange tights? 
Wow! So many fashionistas
Not me, even though I am looking for a dress!!
If I was a dressy person I would probably have no difficulty finding one, it's because I usually slop around in jeans/chinos and tops and the inevitable clumpy shoes or trainers.
But just occasionally, trousers and even a nice top will not do.
The dress or nice outfit then sits in the back of the wardrobe, to be pulled out for the next occasion and then stuffed to the back of the wardrobe again ('why on earth did I buy that?')
[sigh]
I bought the Woolovers defender thingy which is quite successful
Beeping jeans. Lands End did some dark denim trouser jeans which were a good fit so I ordered the lighter denim which I could hardly get over my hips and certainly not do up and continue to breathe. They went back with a stiffly wordedketter. I've not heard back yet
I keep saying that I will treat myself to some NYDJ or the like but can't quite bring myself to pay that much. I daren't order them off ebay as I don't know what size to buy!
Kitty thanks for the reminder.I've bought several things from Woolovers, and I'm always pleased with them.
I've noticed lately though that their wool and cazshmere jumpers "pill" quickly.
Must have another look.
The choice in the shops here is very poor - awful quality fabric, made to last for a year or less. Even 2nd hand from a market stall are better, I've had some bargains, favourite is a red and white cotton vintage dress, perfect condition.
Likewise kittyl
However, having guddled around in the wardrobe I seem to have a disproportionate number of pairs of jeans
including some I am presumably keeping for the day when I might
fit into them.
I am also finding that my favourite "bootcut" while OK with boots with a small heel, look a bit baggy and saggy with Skechers. Skinny won't do it ( my legs are not skinny) and variations on straight are not always successful. So, not quite there yet.
It occurs to me that have had as many threads on jeans as we have on going grey.
Is this the Granny equivalent of the search for the Holy Grail?
I wear jeans all the time too but like variations on my top half! 
Wow! So many fashionistas. I invariably slop around in a pair of jeans, a shirt and Skechers. Had to dress up for work so it's probably a reaction, but I don't care.
I just got a silk and wool cardi from Woolovers, to go with the tartan dress and orange tights ?
This is, and always has been, my attitude to "fashion": pish.
This is my attitude to style: find your own; bugger trendy or fashionable.
I take lessons from soop, who is one of the most stylish women I've ever met. Her style isn't my style but I think we have the same attitude: do your own thing. There has never been so much choice so make the most of it.
Woolovers have cotton and linen jumpers and, maybe, cardigans. They often have offers so I've just bought 2 jumpers. 
Not really fashion advice, but I have a friend who is around the same age as me ( on our way to 60 ) and she often states I can get away with wearing such and such because clothes look better on me. We are the same size but the only difference is I wear a good bra whereas her poor boobs are facing south and in need of a good hulk upwards. I've tried suggesting she adjusts her straps but she says she prefers comfort. Get those boobies up ladies ! ??
CC is back with an extremely limited range.
Even the cardigans and summer jackets seem to be made of very thick fabrics this year. No sign of cotton or linen at all. The only pure cotton dresses I saw were full length, strappy beach dresses; no good for work or weekends. Come back CC and Jaeger 
I don't know, and some of the fabrics are so thick which is not suitable for a summer's day (if we get any!).
Fabrics seem to be awful at the moment. I thought it was just M&S but they all seem to be the same. What ever happened to natural fibres?
Phase 8 had some very pretty dresses with blouson tops - and unflattering tight skirts.
Yes, the fabric is thick and reminded me of the days of crimplene, surely we've advanced since then?
Kaleidescope website is being rebuilt.
There is an outlet not too far from me so I may take a trip there tomorrow.
As a change from politics can I just mention what a poor example Theresa May is for the older woman. She buys expensive clothes but has no idea how to wear them. I don't know if she goes bare legged or wears flesh coloured tights, but it's not a good look with above the knee skirts and her flamingo like posture. The short jackets she wears don't help either. Now she's taken to wearing ankle length trousers which, with her long legs, make her look as if she's borrowed them from her short friend. This morning I saw her in a high waisted pair that nearly came up to her bust. Perhaps she could invest some of her clothing budget in a decent mirror!
I've also been looking for a smartish dress Jalima and so had a look in JL on Friday. Phase 8 are usually pretty good for me but everything seemed to have lace or frills, or worse, flouncy sleeves that just make the upper body look even bigger. Another thing I noticed was that a lot of the fabrics used are very thick, almost industrial weight crimplene! Not good for summer at all. And like you, I can't even find smart linen trousers or even casual ones.
Join the conversation
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »
