Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Best silver shampoo?

(30 Posts)
fumanchu Sun 11-Jun-17 20:27:45

My hair is white but I colour it Extreme Platinum. It's very nice but tends to turn pale blond easily. I'm currently using Pro-Voke Touch of Silver - but what do you all use? Is there anything that gives a really awesome cool toned silver?? (or even violet might be nice)..

Welshwife Sun 11-Jun-17 20:57:59

I use Aveda - Blue Malva - shampoo. It is actually a purple colour. I wash my hair with a made for grey shampoo first and then a second wash with the purple. I have tried cheaper purple shampoos but they made my head itch. The Aveda can only be bought in a litre size which is about £35 but I use one or two pumps each time and it lasts me for up to 18 months. If you decide to buy this shampoo ask for a pump as it makes the whole thing easier to use.

MawBroon Sun 11-Jun-17 21:01:30

Why colour it Extrme Platinum? You are adding the blond/yellow tones that you say you want to get rid of.
Just stick with the Touch of Silver shampoo and conditioner and save some money!!

Niobe Sun 11-Jun-17 21:04:05

I buy a 1.5litre bottle of LOreal Series Expert Silver for about £16-17 from Amazon. It lasts me just over a year using it twice a week. The bottle is huge! (And heavy) so I decant some into a smaller bottle to keep in the shower.

wildswan16 Mon 12-Jun-17 15:13:04

Can any of you lovely ladies help me pick a good shampoo. My hair has a pure white streak (which appeared at age 40) at the front, mixed white and grey over the front sides but is still very dark at the back. It just looks dull. Would one of these shampoos work for me do you think? If so, which one.

Treebee Mon 12-Jun-17 19:50:42

I've been using Lush's Daddy O shampoo and my hair looks great after using it.
Haven't used any others though. The reviews say it smells of violets but I haven't found it so, thankfully.
uk.lush.com/products/daddy-o

downtoearth Tue 13-Jun-17 12:56:57

I am with mawbroon on this touch of silver eccellent

HildaW Tue 13-Jun-17 15:04:40

I use Charles Worthington's silver shampoo which is readily available in Boots. The Provoke product is good but can dye grout (in the shower) purple if not careful.

fumanchu Tue 13-Jun-17 21:24:46

MawBroon my hair is darker at the back than the front so if I only use the silver shampoo then the back is iron grey and horrible. I get it cut short and use the platinum and that lightens the whole head.
Will look into these others, thanks ladies!

MawBroon Tue 13-Jun-17 21:39:06

I have been using Touch of Silver for 18 months and the grout and tiles are unaffected!
My own hair is darker at the back too, but if you really can't accept that you may have some expensive highlighting/tinting/toning ahead of you.
I just live with it.

benhamslc Wed 14-Jun-17 10:10:36

Was using a touch of silver but sent for a sample of White hot hair shampoo and conditioner and brought some straight away, love it bit more expensive but only use a very small amount.

Dillonsgranma Wed 14-Jun-17 10:26:45

The only thing that really workd on my hair is a mousse called Indola silver lavender. You use it on washed damp hair, and it really works. Can buy it online

Pilgrim30 Wed 14-Jun-17 10:45:09

The best is Bleach Blondes by Lee Stafford which I have only found in Boots, and not all Boots but you can get it online. It is a deep violet colour but do not be put off by that, it takes out the yellow beautifully and if you use it every second or third shampoo is perfect for a lovely silver or beautiful white without any obvious violet. At present it is on offer three for two and three will last until the middle of 2018! It's about £7 each. I have been using it for years and Love It!!!❤️

Sheilasue Wed 14-Jun-17 10:58:17

Provoke silver too.

granoftwins Wed 14-Jun-17 11:41:13

Charles Worthington Ultra Violet.

jacalpad Wed 14-Jun-17 11:45:30

I love White Hot. It's available online at Boots.com. I have tried most brands and really do prefer this. My hair is a light silver colour.

Flossieturner Wed 14-Jun-17 12:30:05

Which brand of extreme platinum do you use please. I am thinking of doing this

Maidmarion Wed 14-Jun-17 13:11:18

I use Pro-Voke Touch of Silver. My hair is dark but with white chunks at the front which I colour with hair chalk ... Various colours are available but the purple (pale) one I'm using at the moment has had a lot of very positive comments this week!! ?

purplepansyem Wed 14-Jun-17 14:20:29

I have white hair and have been trying to find a purple/violet shampoo that is sulfate free because I have keratin treatments on my hair. I ordered a bottle of Joico but they've discontinued their sulfate free product so instead I ordered a bottle of Catwalk Fashionista violet shampoo from Amazon. I hope it works!

annodomini Wed 14-Jun-17 15:03:15

I also use Aveda Blue Malva in the litre size but decant it into a smaller bottle with a pump.

KnittyNannie Wed 14-Jun-17 16:22:16

I have dyed my hair light ash blonde for years, but have a few months ago decided to let my natural grey come into its own. I've been using Touch of Silver in the hope that it will lessen the difference between the natural grey and dyed blonde - and it really works!

fumanchu Wed 14-Jun-17 17:07:59

Flossieturner it's L'Oreal Preference and I leave it on the full time.

Flossieturner Thu 15-Jun-17 08:56:49

Fumanchu I have bought both of these products which have helped with the yellowing. I bought 30 sachets of the toner. If you want to try one, PM me your address I will post a sachet on to you.

I buy John Frieda Shampoos and conditioner in the purple range. They seem expensive but they last for ages. Quite often Superdrug and big supermarkets do 3 for 2. They used to do a purple mousse but discontinued it. The Charles worthimgton is ok, but does not give quite the same silver effect as the John Frieda.

Blinko Thu 15-Jun-17 10:23:34

iq silverising shampoo is sulphate free..

fumanchu Thu 15-Jun-17 13:34:12

Lovely advice ta grannies! I will go onto amazon and look these up. TY,