Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Eyebrows and microblading

(33 Posts)
Oriel Wed 30-Aug-17 10:26:01

My eyebrows have disappeared to the point that I have only a few fine hairs where they once were. I admit to overplucking to achieve the Biba look in the 1970's but it's only fairly recently that they've disappeared. I had a total hysterectomy and their disappearance seems to have coincided with the disappearance of my ovaries!

I saw the GN topic today showing various ways of enhancing what you have and I'm interested in the microblading technique. The thing is, as I don't have eyebrows, I'm wondering how the technician would know the shape to go with. Do they draw them in first to get approval from the customer?

Has anyone had this procedure? Can anyone offer advice?

Welshwife Wed 30-Aug-17 10:34:33

I hav n't heard of that procedure - could someone enlighten me please.

Oriel Wed 30-Aug-17 11:14:44

Yes, if you click on the style and beauty tab at the top of the page there is an article about it there. I think it was headed 'You don't have to put up with thin eyebrows'. It shows several techniques to either encourage/enhance what you have or more drastic treatments for those without.

Welshwife Wed 30-Aug-17 11:21:33

Thank you - had a look - interesting although at the moment I still have to pluck a few, but they are stronger in texture than they were!

Hotmama Wed 30-Aug-17 11:30:18

Yes, I've had it done because, like you, after years of over plucking and depletion of hormones, I had no eyebrows. I was fortunate to be put in touch with a beautician who actually teaches the art of Microblading and I had it done. I have been extremely pleased with the result and have been back 18 months later for a 'top up'. It has made such a difference to my face and people say I look younger but they don't know why! The procedure is a little uncomfortable but not painful. She initially dyed what was left of my eyebrows before I had the procedure so that I would get used to having brows again and it wouldn't be such a shock. When you first have it done there are lots of discussions regarding colour and shape. Your age and colouring are all taken into consideration. I would definitely recommend it. Good luck!

SYLVIAPATTEN Wed 30-Aug-17 11:36:15

hi.. I've had my eyebrows tattooed too. the results are great and long lasting. it's not painful. it cost about £350 for both brows. I've also used Wunderbrow which is a liquid. you need to choose the right colour obviously and there are several to choose from. hope this helps.

sylviann Wed 30-Aug-17 11:39:59

I've been eyebrow sparse since I was 24 46years ago I only pencil them in when going out I think people notice but mostly don't say anything but as the Mona Lisa has no eyebrows

Coconut Wed 30-Aug-17 11:51:20

I will def look at the microblading, and at present I use " Brows That" by No: Seventeen in Boots.

grannytotwins Wed 30-Aug-17 11:51:33

I had my eyebrows tattooed over two years ago. They look great, like perfect eyebrow pencil. I don't think microblading is necessary. Make sure you go to a reputable salon. The first time I had mine done, I went to someone on Facebook and they disappeared after three weeks. They look awful the first week until they heal, too dark and obvious. They then go the right shade and look great. You would probably need a top up about a month later for any small areas that don't take.

Lindajane Wed 30-Aug-17 12:02:58

I knew someone who lost all of her hair, including nasal and eyelashes. She had her eyebrows tattooed and also eyeliner tattooed. I didn't know for ages until she told me! It really is amazing.

Craftycat Wed 30-Aug-17 12:34:23

I use a brown pencil & am quite good at it but in wet or very hot weather I am always worried they will run - although they never have TBH.
Never really had much in way of eyebrows. I'll look into Microblading- never heard of it before. Needle phobic so no tatoos for me!

Lilyflower Wed 30-Aug-17 12:38:53

I had a friend whose tattoed eyebrows were so successful I never even noticed them and she had to point them out. I thought I'd have it done when my time came.

ROSYFLO69 Wed 30-Aug-17 12:50:09

Good Housekeeping magazine for October has an article about it on page 115.

Ronnie Wed 30-Aug-17 13:02:48

I suffered the eyebrow less look for years, using a pencil & variety of colours to get the 'right' colour for me as I am very fair skinned. Enventually plucked up the courage to have them tattooed on last year, aged 70! I have been delighted with the results from day one. No one know they are tattooed unless I chose to tell them. Gained some 'street creed' with younger members of the family too haha! A good beauty consultant is a must, who can advise & discuss
shapes & shades beforehand.

Oriel Wed 30-Aug-17 13:38:51

Thank you for the replies. It's made me feel that it's something I'm going to look into. I'd love to look less washed out when wearing no makeup and I think having eyebrows would definitely help.

Willow3 Wed 30-Aug-17 13:47:39

Have had my eyebrows tattooed and also had the microblading which I think is better. For years I pencilled them in but they look so much better now and had lots of compliments. I am 70 and will def keep it up. I use a little brow dye as well as the grey bits poke through after a while!

yogagran Wed 30-Aug-17 13:52:51

I've been thinking about having microblading too, didn't like the idea of tattooing as it's much heavier looking. Microblading is more like the individual hairs. I just haven't yet had the courage to try!

NanTheWiser Wed 30-Aug-17 14:17:17

Be very careful about micro blading, there have been some threads on Mumsnet about bad outcomes for some people. If you decide to have it done, make sure you go to a really reputable operator who has had full training. Once it's done you have to live with the results. As someone who has very sparse brows, I still prefer to pencil mine in exactly how I prefer them.

Shizam Wed 30-Aug-17 14:19:12

My eyebrows are still reasonably thick, but they've gone grey. I home-dye them every four weeks. So from what you say Willow3, I'd still have to do that even with the micro-blading.

BBbevan Wed 30-Aug-17 15:20:54

I have never heard of microblading. What I find strange is the fashion to have thick dark eyebrows that look like two slugs meeting above the nose. Rather have no eyebrows than that

MissAdventure Wed 30-Aug-17 15:40:57

I've always had next to no eyebrows. They are blonde and extremely sparse.
When I penciled them in, my family informed me I looked like a 'surprised egg' so I've never bothered at all.

Jezebel Wed 30-Aug-17 16:17:47

Had both cosmetic tattoos, which I loved and more recently micro, blading as I have alpopecia since I was 30, and had no brows or lashes, so love both of these , make such a difference, but has been said, need to know where you are having it done

Sheilasue Wed 30-Aug-17 16:30:11

I have very busy eyebrows (I blame the statins, blame them for everything). So I have mine waxed. Used to use the tweezers but can't see without my glasses gawd on my way out.

Ruby41 Wed 30-Aug-17 19:09:49

Well, this site is even more educational than I'd expected - I'd always assumed microblading was something to do with skating! Now I know better.

starlily106 Wed 30-Aug-17 21:49:41

My eyebrows are so peculiar, the grey hairs in them are much longer than the dark ones, and dont seem to have a firm hold, i can take them out by just pulling gently on them, the dark one have to be tweezered out. Now the hairs on the outer sides, near my temples, are disappearing. I have read that this happens because of hypothyroid, but bloodtests are normal. Just as well that i have never really bothered with them over the years, so i will just let them do their own thing.